Author Topic: Old artist  (Read 4040 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Old artist
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
When I was a kid for at least a few years in the 90's...probably late in the decade there was a gentleman who used to draw portraits of people.  One year my mom had him draw all of us kids...my three sisters and I, separately.  She framed them and they still hang in the entry way in my parents house.  In short, it was amazing what that guy could do.  The drawings looked like you were looking in a mirror and they were done so professionally in a relatively short amount of time.  That gentleman has not been there for awhile.  He used to hang his umbrella out sorta across the street from the tater patch...kinda by the exit of the flooded mine.  Anyone else remember or know this gentleman or his whereabouts?  I hope he is well.

p.s. these were NOT caricatures.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Old artist
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
He was out earlier this season.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:24 PM »
That's good to hear.  We have not seen him in quite some time.  We must visit during the wrong time of year.  Mom always mentions it when we walk by the spot.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
And yes, same spot between the Tater Patch and the Depot- next to the drinking fountain

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:23:11 AM »
Saw him there this past Sunday.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
Could you be talking about Joe Benjamin, the pen and ink drawing guy? Check out the Website State of the Ozarks and look under artists and see if that is Joe you are talking about. :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Not Joe B. this gentleman is gray haired, and has a mustache...sits next to the water fountain across from the Calico Potato stand in between the flooded mine, and The Greatest Gift Store heading towards the Depot/ FM Entrance. I will get his name on my next trip.