Author Topic: Watch your head, and if you don't watch yer head, watch yer mouth  (Read 6435 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Getting off of the train a few weeks ago, Bluegrass widow busted her head open by standing up before she cleared the train. I had to take her to the first aid area behind the candy factory. In 30+ years of going to the park, I can't remember ever needing medical attention. She has since fully recovered. Sooooo. my question is this.....

Do any of y'all have any stories of injuries you obtained and/or observed while at the park?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Watch your head, and if you don't watch yer head, watch yer mouth
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:53:27 PM »
"Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:34:29 AM »
FITH, 1980, 1 dead. (I was working on park that day.) :'(
Lost River, about 1997, walkway collapsed, 1 woman injured. :o
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:21:42 AM »
Gone with my share of injuries, but thankfully haven't had any of those types of souvenirs to take home from SDC

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:31:40 AM »
Besides the occasional person wearing flip-flops on wet surfaces, & slipping & falling down, thats all i can think of. This has happened to my wife before, just scraped the side of her knee. Her flip-flops were very old & had no traction.

I got hit by a bug on Wildfire.... :D
Live life like it's the last day!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
Broke my foot on the square once, we were there for the then new Wildfire and they had put some grit into the normal asphalt seal for traction.
The gr a indent caused me to fall forward.  The grit stopped my foot dead on the pavement and I bent my foot over itself and the bone that runs down the center of your foot to the toes broke.  While on the ground I had this thought run through my mind that if I give it a minute this pain will wear off......at the same time deep down in my voice to myselfI doubted the adult " shake it off" would work.   I went to First Aid, they didn't think anything was wrong and wrapped my foot.  I limped out went about my day, very very slowly.  I even drove home with the broken right foot.  It wasn't till the next morning that I tried to get out of bed and my heel touched the ground that I knew there was a real problem.  SDC with a broken foot, that's what I call a REAL SDC Fan!  lol

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »
When I went for the first time in several years back in 2010, I must have hit my head on everything you possibly could have that day. I remember I hit my head on the tram (I think they raised the roof after this, cause it seems higher now) the bus, the train, just everything

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
Junior, Per reasearch

July 15, 2002 - 21 injured when the concrete bridge at the lost river collapsed

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »
Was anyone injured when they broke the swinging bridge?

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
Luckily I've never had anything more than a few scrapes/bruises from running around in a group of cousins all over the park. (Of course I say that, and I'm going to the park on Monday, so I'll do some sort of major damage now. Hahaha.)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
Young Heathens Weekend, about 1980 or 1981 is when that swinging bridge was broken by dozens and dozens of kids who loaded on to it and bounced until one of the steel cables broke. No one hurt, as I remember, but the bridge was closed for weeks until repairs could be made.

Thanks for the correction on the Lost River issue...that incident falls into a period of time when I was wrapped up in my radio career and was not paying too close attention to what was going on at SDC.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
No injuries here. However.!! about 5 years ago we did NOT have season passes, the 4 of us went to SDC over Thanksgiving. Son and I both ate at Jacks as soon as the park opened. (Wife and sons GF ate somewhere else). Son got real sick within about 45 minutes. I got real sick about 30 minutes later. Both went to First Aid (Neither of us mentioned eating at Jacks-really never thought about it). After I was in for about an hour. The PTB came in and validated our (then daily) ticket for any one day the following year, gave us a free meal (per ticket at any SDC eating place), a free parking ticket (for one day), and a free night to camp at the Wilderness (RV site).

That is hospitality!!! Neither of us asked for any of that, much less, all of that. 
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »
When our daughter was three years old, she climbed into a kids lookout structure by Lake Silver and was attacked by wasps.  She began screaming immediately, and her dad got her out quickly.   We rushed over to a drink vendor asking them to radio for help and give us some ice.  Seriously, we were told that we would have to pay for the ice in a cup, and they had no radio.  My husband "lost it" and grabbed the ice. As he did, they "radioed" for help.  Security showed up immediately and took her to first aid.  She was bitten 5 or 6 times. It took quite awhile for the swelling in her arm to go down, but it finally did, so we continued on thru the park.  As we returned to Lake Silver, we noticed that they had not taken care of the wasp problem, so we warned several families that were about to let their kids climb up.  We stood there until we spotted a security guy who radioed someone that it needed to be closed. 

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »
My sister got really sick the night before we went to SDC. We left her at the trailer and went without her promising to come back and get her in the afternoon. Well, I picked her up and she said she was feeling better. So I took her to get something to eat at Mary's springhouse.

That was a baaaddd idea.

She started projectile vomiting... and she was sitting across from me at the table.   :o :o

So now I have been puked on and bled on in SDC.

jennjenn22

• My younger self enjoyed carousels and getting hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
I always got terrible rope burns and splinters from the old Tom Sawyer's Landing climbing structures. Best fun I ever had getting hurt!