Author Topic: How many are also Shepherd of the Hills fans?  (Read 19298 times)

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: How many are also Shepherd of the Hills fans?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
HAHA Yea it counts  ;D
Avid fan for 42 years.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:15 AM »
From the "You learn something new everyday" category: I never realized local Branson residents protested the showing of the John Wayne film "The Shepherd of the Hills" because it differed greatly from the book. I have a copy of Jerry S. Madsen's booklet "Branson a Time Line History," (Purchased at SDC a few years ago) and there is a photo of a guy protesting the showing of the film at the Owens Theater in downtown Branson in the 1940's. The sign reads "Paramount's Shepherd of the Hills Unfair to original characters, We uns dont like 'hit! Hillbilly Local No. 0001"
A banner hung below the marquee on the theater by Jim Owens, the owner, reads in part "Neighbors we don't like it- but here it is."

I posted the photo for you to view on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

The text by the photo reads in part: "All the business people and dignitaries of Branson dressed in their finest and with smiles on their faces entered the theater with great expectations...but before the film progressed very far folks were leaving the theater in disgust. Aunt Molly, a very kindly woman, was portrayed as a vicious bootleg moonshiner and the story differed from the book almost entirely. After just a few minutes of the film, the town's people offered to hang producer, cast and all."  Madsen added, "The movie folks did make it out of town without harm or tar and feathers..."
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »
From the "You learn something new everyday" category: I never realized local Branson residents protested the showing of the John Wayne film "The Shepherd of the Hills" because it differed greatly from the book. I have a copy of Jerry S. Madsen's booklet "Branson a Time Line History," (Purchased at SDC a few years ago) and there is a photo of a guy protesting the showing of the film at the Owens Theater in downtown Branson in the 1940's. The sign reads "Paramount's Shepherd of the Hills Unfair to original characters, We uns dont like 'hit! Hillbilly Local No. 0001"
A banner hung below the marquee on the theater by Jim Owens, the owner, reads in part "Neighbors we don't like it- but here it is."

I posted the photo for you to view on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

The text by the photo reads in part: "All the business people and dignitaries of Branson dressed in their finest and with smiles on their faces entered the theater with great expectations...but before the film progressed very far folks were leaving the theater in disgust. Aunt Molly, a very kindly woman, was portrayed as a vicious bootleg moonshiner and the story differed from the book almost entirely. After just a few minutes of the film, the town's people offered to hang producer, cast and all."  Madsen added, "The movie folks did make it out of town without harm or tar and feathers..."

That's great, Junior!

I had pretty much the same reaction. I first saw SOTH in the early '70s, bought the book at the gift shop, and saw the show (and re-read the book) almost every year thereafter. When I saw that John Wayne abomination, I wanted my money back for the video rental.

I love the book, even with the hillbillification of the local lingo. I read it again last year (the 1969 printing that I bought as a kid), and I've encouraged the rest of the family to read it. None have, but they probably need to experience the magic of the live show first.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:53:23 PM by KBCraig »