Author Topic: Old Bookstore  (Read 13440 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Old Bookstore
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
The old bookstore used to be across from the saloon where they do nothing but tintype photos now (Perhaps it was somewhere else before that, but I do not recall).  It seems as though I remember it used to be a lot bigger when I was a kid and I was disappointed as I got older in how small it was getting until they finally moved it and it basically became very small.  Is the bookstore even still around in SDC?  Wish they would have never moved it...it was a favorite stopping point.  But oh well.

And one thing that really bothers me is the the location of the sign.  Outside the bookstore there used to be an awesome painting of a man reading a book, and the caption said "If you like reading, then you'll enjoy our books" or something to that nature and that sign was awesome!  I'd like to own the thing if they aren't using it!  Is it still around?  I hope it's somewhere and I'm just missing it.  Would like to see it/visit the bookstore on this upcoming trip.

Thanks.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bookstore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
As sales dip at shops, SDC management changes things, cutting out those shops which are not as profitable, and replacing them with things that are. The bookshop did not make much money in its final few years, so the shop kept getting smaller and smaller, and was finally moved to a tiny little building next to the railroad tracks behind flooded mine. It lingered a few more  years, and then, just a few years ago, was cut out. No more book shop at SDC. This is probably why Jacks Sandwich shop is now closed. It will be retooled for other use in the days to come. You will notice many arts and crafts are gone from the park, no basket making shop, for instance. I loved the bookshop, too. I was sorry to see it go. Many of my regional history books about the Ozarks came from that shop.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
Sad days.  I understand that you have to make business decisions.  Some of the books from my collection are from that bookstore that I bought when I was a kid.  Even three of my civil war books (I'm now a history teacher) came from that bookstore, as well as the Baldknobbers book I believe.  Dad must have wondered if I could even understand what I was reading when I wanted them as a kid, but he bought them for me anyway and I guess it was a good investment since I have read and used them.  I also remember a basket shop...was it down by an apple butter store?  I believe there was a quilt shop, too?  And Of course they moved the saltwater taffy barn.  That was no small shock to my family when that happened, but at least they kept it open somewhere else and the taffy is still tasty.

I'm gonna have to send an email and see if I can't locate that old bookstore sign!  Top dollar for it!  ;D
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Last time I saw the sign it was still on the outside wall of the tiny little building next to the railroad tracks behind flooded mine (which until this season had been the broom-makers). I, too, loved the shop and the sign in particular.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »
no books at this point except what are offered in various shops, no dedicated bookstore though.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
No dedicated book store, but they sure are trying to sell you "Love Works" by Joel Manby! of course..I own a copy  :D

It actually is a really good read, and would recommend it.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
The only titles on the shelves at SDC that I'd consider would be the Manby book, and Undercover Boss book. I've got copies of the knife maker's poetry book, the two softcover books about Branson and Shepherd of the Hills History, the Wright novel itself, and a little folklore book on sale at the Ozark Marketplace. Other than a few cook books, which I have no interest in, that is about all the titles they currently offer. A shame, too, as they used to carry Vance Randolph stuff...he's the classic Ozark folklorist and story teller, and Milton Rafferty's books on Ozark Land and Life, and many other really good regional history titles. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
Here's a photo of the sign in question

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/1098410732/

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
Every time I see this thread title, I think of the old SOTH bookstore. It was always a must-stop when I was a kid.

Someone posted pics of the ruins a couple of years ago.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Every time I see this thread title, I think of the old SOTH bookstore. It was always a must-stop when I was a kid.

Someone posted pics of the ruins a couple of years ago.

Yep, I snuck up there.  Here's some of the photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/250878087/
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »
Thanks, betamike. Sad reminder of some great memories (Dogpatch too).

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »
It is still hanging on the side of the old book store building. At least it was Friday!

"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
Glad to hear it Tiff. I didn't see it when I was there two weeks ago.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »
Happy to report, as others have, that I saw the sign.  Wonderful work of art.  And there were books around the city of course, but it was nothing like before.  I remember buying a book called "a man called shiloh" about the civil war and the author was there to sign the books.  Don't get that anymore.  Also, the knife shop was out of Ray's poetry books.  I hope they will put more up.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
Gosh, this thread makes me want to be a bookshop owner and make it an Ozarks-themed shop. All the books one could find at SDC, and more!