Author Topic: Security, bag checks?  (Read 3036 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Security, bag checks?
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:23:34 AM »
Has SDC gone to any kind of enhanced security or bag checks? Metal detectors or other silliness?

In law enforcement we call that "security theater", since it's all for show (and mostly to confiscate $0.50 bottles of water, so that customers have to pay $3-5 for the same thing once inside.) SDC has always been reasonably priced in my experience, so it would be a shame if they have gone that route.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: Security, bag checks?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
nothing like that yet that i know of, but i wouldnt be shocked if it did happen

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »
Outside food and drinks are always allowed, but I disagree that security checks are all for show.  They did check bags for the remainder of the 2001 season after 9/11, and maybe for 2002 (I don't remember.), but they didn't last for very long.  Kennedy Space Center had the strictest security when we visited recently.  I had to turn on every camera and iPod with me to prove that they were actually functioning devices.  They may not ever catch anyone by checking like that, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't have tried something heinous if they didn't check at all.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
Bag checks aren't that big of a deal, but I agree that many parks and indeed, much of society is abandoning common sense when it comes to security and is merely putting on a show. In this day and age, you just have to do what you can. It's not nearly as dangerous as the media will have you think anyway, stuff is just more easy to report on these days.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was curious, because since the last time I visited, there have been two significant happenings. First was 9/11, and second was Missouri's passage of shall-issue concealed carry laws, which Pete Herschend fought vigorously (the ban on carry in gated amusement parks is attributed to him).

So, I asked because a lot of companies felt the need to "do something!" about security, no matter how ineffective.