Author Topic: Big Jacks Sandwich Shop  (Read 21487 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Big Jacks Sandwich Shop
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:36:12 AM »
In do find it odd, that they did frontage work on big jacks building, then closed after the season started.?

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
It is a shame to see Jacks goin down for sure. However I think the big problem is the general direction of the "bulk of the population in general".
OK what I mean is things like, Jacks sandwiches going from YUMM to HO-HUM with the switch over to premade pre wrapped cold-cut-combos. (might as well be Subways).

Or like the toy store going from handmade/homemade to preassembled packaged, mass produced plastic gizmos that can be purchased at almost any department store (and for a few $$$ cheaper I might add).

No Im not picking on SDC. This is an act (even an accepted practice) at most places these days.  Not only does that practice "frequently" irk me, but the reason for it. It usually cuts somebodys job, almost always saves several $$$ and usually the quality is much less, and the quantity is usually smaller also. Actually it is a great practice for everybody EXCEPT the end consumer (who generally has to pay several $$$ more).
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
PLEASE, NO CHAIN RESTAURANTS ON THE PARK!

Remember how odd and out of place the Welch's grape juice sponsorship felt?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
usually the quality is much less,

Amen to this.
I have seen a drop in food quality at SDC. Being that most is served from foil holding trays it smacks of the high school cafeteria.  When I get hungry at the city memory serves up a time that they were BBQing corn on the cob in the husk on main street.  They would peal back the husk using it as a handle and dip that entire ear into a vat of butter.  Slap it on your plate and call it done.  That is the SDC I long for when I get hungry at the park. 
The park has started to serve home cooked burgers up on the square but I usually don't want to climb the hill to eat lunch.  I guess I should to show support for home cooked foods as much as I comment about the quality or the prefab.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:01:04 PM by mhguy77 »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
The Mine Restaurant used to serve meals family style with wedges of cheese and big pickles.  Dessert came around on a tray.  It was awesome!!  They used to have barbecue places around the park like the corn on the cob place you were talking about on the square.  I also remember being able to buy wedges of cheese, sausage, and bread.  It was so good we never got around to making sandwiches out of it.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
^^^ Can't you still buy the cheese and sausage at the General Store?
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
Chains....Like Dominos pizza at White Water?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Please, no chain restaurants inside SDC, ever! If you want to gut the Ozark Marketplace and fill it with chain restaurants or shops, OK, not too much of an issue with me. Please, though, not in the theme park.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »
They are not far from it with the dippin dots and the Slurpee stations spread all over the park.  I don't think they will give a franchise a spot though.  They rely far too much on the sale of food to share that.  Lets face it Jr, years ago you didn't see anyone leaving the park without a bag, meaning they bought something.  I don't see many bags anymore.  They are very dependent on the food sales.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
No bags... that is because most people come for the rides, and not the experience/ crafts/ hand made items that we all got hooked with once upon a time.

hand made toys GONE
hand carved items mostly- GONE
baskets  GONE
real candles MADE at SDC  GONE

I could go on and on...seeing that I just got back about an hour ago from there.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
Rube
I believe they still do the candles there at Carries, do they not.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Well about as many candles as hand carved items are sold at the wood carvers shop.

My apologies, I was a bit abrupt with the accusations. Candles can be dipped, and some are carved, dipped, designed etc. Most are Yankee and other brands. Like in the Mill, yes, there is flour milled (packaged) there, but most things are brought to sell there, mixes, trinkets, tools etc.

I had a good talk with the carvers yesterday, and it is a shame that they work hard, and people end up buying items that are cheaper to sell for the park by bringing them in already made.   

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
Mine restaurant stopped bringing cornbread out but if you ask for it they will bring it.

Rube, I agree.  The woodcarver shop espescially. It was....disappointing....this year and we made no purchases. My dad used to buy soemthing every year as he is a wood carver.  No more little hillbilly characters, either.

And to those who want good food it can be found.  The skillets (tater patch is best!!) and that burger place up on the square is excellent, excellent burgers.  Along with the mine, mill, etc.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
I still see (and carry!) bags out of the City, but you won't see as many IN the City thanks to Package Pick-up, which is a REAL blessing.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
I dont buy as much there as I used because of actually origin of the items!  Will not buy anything from SDC that is not at least american made.

Wife has been buying some pottery bowls for us lately., but i make sure they are made by the local craftsmen.

Love the Package pick-up.!