Author Topic: Big Jacks Sandwich Shop  (Read 21457 times)

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Big Jacks Sandwich Shop
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
What in the world happened to Big Jacks?  I remember Swoosh saying something about some changes being made.....but are they taking out Big Jacks?  If so, I'm going to be one sad and upset individual.  You don't mess with my Big Jack! >:(

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Big Jacks Sandwich Shop
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
Word on the street is that it was open for opening weekend and has not been open since.
The windows are all tarped up on the inside and you cannot see anything.
I guess we'll see what becomes of it.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:15 PM »
They starting  messing with big jacks last year, when they pulled out the hot food, and started selling the cold premade sandwhiches.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:20:22 PM »
I never ate there...yet always wanted to. Unfortunately with my veterinarian wife had no options there... Maybe I'll try the sandwich someday! I was not a fan of olives...but was going to try it sometime and risk it...if it were a giardiniera I would have been all over it, but muffeletta...not quite there yet.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
I hope they just work on the menu and open it again as the Jack's Sandwich Shop.  To me, that place is a classic and has historical value for the park.

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
Big Jacks was my favorite place to eat on park.  I hope it opens soon in all of it's former glory.  I hate to start the rumor mill...but Big Jacks is dangerously close to another piece of SDC history that is currently closed and boarded up.  Lets hope their 2014 plans don't include a major renovation in midtown.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
Don't give 'em any ideas, you are making me nervous!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
It wont be reopened as the "old" shop was.. The PTB will not go to the expenze to bring back in the cooking equipment, since they just pulled it out last year..

Now IF they were to open is up as a FULL cold meat and cheese deli, fresh made sanwhiches when u order them, that might work..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
Just open a Subway.  Problem solved.  You can put a Panda Express and Taco Bell Express next door as well.  Yep.  Problem solved.
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »
Subway, hmmm...  When they first announced they were re-doing Big Jack's menu I thought why don't they set it up like subway???  Cut the meats and have the toppings all out so guests can go down the line and get their food.  Fast and delicious.  When I saw the pre-made sandwiches I was very disappointed.

I feel it's going to take a major upgrade to Center City to see Jacks open again.  Grandfather's mansion has a new roof and as time goes by you will notice updates within it.  Maybe this is the start to something better for Center City, but something has to happen to draw people there.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
Subway, hmmm...  When they first announced they were re-doing Big Jack's menu I thought why don't they set it up like subway???  Cut the meats and have the toppings all out so guests can go down the line and get their food.  Fast and delicious.  When I saw the pre-made sandwiches I was very disappointed.

I feel it's going to take a major upgrade to Center City to see Jacks open again.  Grandfather's mansion has a new roof and as time goes by you will notice updates within it.  Maybe this is the start to something better for Center City, but something has to happen to draw people there.

I'll be quite honest, I thought that was what they were going to do as well.  I really think they missed out on a golden opportunity there.  The issue with BJs is the location.  There is a counter service (a more accessible one at that) right around the corner just off the square... and then you have Sweet Mary's at the other end of City Center.  There really wasn't a need for a 3rd restaurant in that area, that was hidden, and not very well known to n00bs. 

I agree that it is nice to see the new roof on GM.  I really do hope that the upgrades inside that have been "rumored" will come into reality. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
Swoosh, we can only hope that the "upgrades" to GM, is part of the 2014 project.. ::) ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
Much like the improvements to FITH and FM the last few years, the improvements at GM are "when they have time" -- there have been upgrade/improvements at all 3 without any fanfare the last few years.  They'll happen when they happen, but they will happen
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »
PLEASE, NO CHAIN RESTAURANTS ON THE PARK!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
I can honestly say, that in all 22 years and in the multiple times each year my family has visited SDC, we only ate at Big Jack's once.  I don't much live olives so I've never been back.  I'm sure there were plenty of people who loved it, but you know how it is with SDC...you have places you have to hit every year and Big Jack's wasn't ever one of them for my family.

However, I hope they can re-open it.  I hope the sign with the lady holding the sandwich is still there!?

Nice to know Grandpa's is gettin' some love.  Such a great time visiting that place as a kid and I have noticed in recent years that it could use some work, but it's still great.

Hate seeing old places in the park like Big Jacks close and disappear.  I hate to think of what's next?!  ???

But, as Preachin Bill says, there aint no use doin' the choppin' til the dogs has 'treed the coon.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.