Author Topic: Wood Carving Yodeler  (Read 4513 times)

Ribboy

• View Profile
Wood Carving Yodeler
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this topic has been covered dozens of times. 

Does anyone know the name of the man that worked at SDC approximately 20 years ago and was a wood carver?  He could yodel like no other!  I just recently visited and the sadly he is no longer there.  He really left an imprint on my memory.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Carving Yodeler
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
This post talks about Bruce Grimes, the yodeling gunsmith who did some woodcarving too. Hope that helps! I'm sure someone who was around from then will be along shortly to give some more info.

Also, welcome to the site, Ribboy. :)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
I knew Bruce Grimes. I was a 15 or 16 year old kid working in the Vineyard Restaurant (now Wagon works) and Bruce came in every  afternoon for a cold cup of grape juice on his break. Of course, we'd ask him to yodel for us, and most of the time he did! He was a talented gun maker, who did the Bicentennial year gunstock featured in many ads in the mid-70s that featured a carving of  "the Spirit of '76" on it. Bruce worked for several years in the spot now occupied by Ray, the knife maker. Always a friendly fellow with a smile on his face. Don't know what became of him. Like so many other great talents who worked at SDC, Bruce moved on down the road. God bless him, where ever he is!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:29:18 AM »
Thanks, Rube. How in the world did you find that article?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. Great detective work!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
In what little time I have, I enjoy reading late 80s small town Missouri (Nevada, MO) newspapers. That, and a pretty simple search with choice key words bring up this, as well as a gun outfitter site of the same named proprietor ....not sure if. It is the same or not...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
In other words, do a little digging on the subject you are interested in, and you can find it. Research. Just what a teacher would say! Appropriate.  ;)

BKtoys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »
Bruce Grimes, SDC Gunsmith from 1973 to about 1986, is alive and healthy at age 83. Lives in Santa Rosa, Mo. The rest of his story aint so good.