Author Topic: Dollywood set for major expansions  (Read 7665 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Dollywood set for major expansions
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »
It sounds like DW is on the path to another set of massive expansions, though these rumors are very hyped up by the online DW fan community. From the sounds of it, their next new roller coaster will be something entirely new to the industry, or will at least have a surprising gimmick of some sort. I was assuming that after the massive success of PK at SDC, DW would get their own version.

This year is still up for grabs as far as we know, though it sounds like it will be another ride. DW sure is buying them up nowadays; when was the last time they added anything other than a ride? Maybe a Screamin' Swing is in the works.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood set for major expansions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
I had to look this up but 2003 was the last year they didn't open a new ride.

2008- River Battle
2007- Mystery Mine
2006- Timber Tower
2005- Country Fair (10 new rides)
2004- Thunderhead

I think SDC is better for not adding a new ride every year. If you look at SDC in each of those years:

2008- Culinary & Craft School
2007- The GIANT Swing
2006- Grand Exposition (10 new rides)
2004/2005- Powderkeg
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Someone on Thrillnetwork claimed that Dollywood will get a Vekoma Tilt Coaster, though I don't know if that fits the clue on Screamscape about the ride being something completely new.  (Maybe just "new" to the U.S.?)

There's an RCT3 animation on Youtube that is supposedly based on the ride plans.  (It's a bit of a stetch that a GPer got hold of such information though, don't you think?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LR1uaeD9VU
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:32:38 PM by Dukefan »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »
^To say that that's unbelievable is an understatement. I've noticed that the DW fanbase is far more eccentric and youthful than at SDC, producing much wilder rumors that stick around for years. The Vekoma Tilt was an epic fail, and the Herschends would never go near it, just in case anyone was wondering.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:02:29 PM »
^^Hey anyone remember when I posted that a looong time ago in a different thread? Well, I've grown up since then and I have to agree with Steve. I don't think the Herschend's would want to go near Vekoma with their reputation. Besides, looks like the ride is really rough.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:32:09 AM »
I'm not a Dollywood guy, and I've never been there, but here's a video that claims Blazing Fury will be removed to make room for another train station next year:

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:10:49 AM »
I've actually heard a park official shoot that rumor down already. Nothing at DW is slated for removal, and nothing ever will be until it becomes a maintainence issue, so they say.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
^wow if only sdc had these same feelings about tearing things down

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
They pretty much do; other than Rube Dugin's and a few small attractions, they've done a good job of kepping the park intact over the years.

Anyway, a new survey has been passed around DW with concepts for a Mondial Supernova, a Dark Ride, and a Screamin Swing themed around a Barn. Hmm, the Screamin Swing was by far the popular choice at SDC in 2006. At least theirs would have a cooler name: Barnstormer.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »
With a name like that I wouldn't be surprised if the swing arms would have some sort of airplane theming elements.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »
Sounds like the Mondial Supernova might be the winning concept right now, from what I can gather from all the clues.

The hints so far are:
Hint #1: "It's brown & green"
Hint #2: "What else is happening in the Smokies in 2009?"
Hint #3: "The attraction will include Empedocles' discoveries."
Hint #4: "He resides in Wilderness Pass and will have a part in the Attraction."

Numbers #2 and #3 really get me. Anyone have any insight into #2?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
^I don't understand any of that actually. What kind of dark ride is this Mondial Supernova supposed to be?

I don't want Dollywood to get a Screamin' Swing though. Especially if it is themed around a barn. They can come up with their own attraction. I know, I know, Dollywood and SDC are owned by the same people! I don't care, there is no reason to put the same attraction in a different park. It'd be just like Disney but it makes more since for Disney to do it since they are on the opposite sides of the country. SDC and Dollywood really aren't that far apart though.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »
This is a Mondial Supernova -> http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/supernova.html

I don't really mind the park's sharing concepts so long as each individual project is unique. I mean, to some degree it just makes sense for them to use what they know works. It won't be terribly noticeable for SDC to have the Giant Swing and Dollywood to have a Barnstormer, so long as the barns are different and DW's has unique barnstormer theming. It's not like SF and the Tony Hawk spinning coasters yet.
On the other hand, I kind of wish they would go back to experimenting around a little more, especially if they tried out things like Intamin's and Huss Giant flats (other than topple towers).

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
^Yeah, I agree with that but why do they have to both be in barns? Surely they can come up with something different and something just as creative as The Giant Swing was.

Also, I can't really tell by that Supernova picture what it is. Is it something like the Thunderhawk at Worlds of Fun? That isn't a dark ride though?

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/images/side_photos/thunderhawk1.jpg

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 10:27:43 PM »
^Close, but no.  Thunderhawk is a TopSpin from Huss where both arms of the ride move the same direction at the sametime.  That ride also flips -- a lot.  The Mondial Supernova has two separate moving arms and the ride never flips upside down, but it does get into some funky angles (up to 80* or 90*)

Regarding "Empedocles' discoveries" - he was the one who discovered the four elements of nature. Earth, Wind, Water and Fire.
SWOOSH