Author Topic: Site Updates  (Read 76234 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Site Updates
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
^Me too!  Thanks, Shave!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »
I'll probably experiment with some other color options and try to work in some more "retro" details. Just got to find another afternoon when I have time. Maybe next Sunday.

I liked the old theme too and would have kept it with some improvements if I could, but it's not even available in the theme library anymore. I messed around with it for nine years so it had tons of little edits and quirks.

I've got to get a new logo made up as well...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »
I don't know if you've already thought of this or not, but since the forums seem to be SDCFans' most trafficked part, maybe for the front page you could use something like Tiny Portal? I just learned about it the other day when re-visiting Shyguy's World (anyone else been on there? it's a fun RCT-and-other-sims fan forum). Their main page is the SMF forum, but uses Tiny Portal to add articles, highlights, shoutboxes, etc. It's pretty cool and it might be something that could work for SDCFans.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
Hello...I appreciate what you do for us on this site. It is a free service to all of us, and for that we are grateful.

Is there anything you can do to flag the unread posts again? That was very handy for me.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »
Ooops...never mind! I just realized that I was logged out. When I logged in to make a comment, I now see the unread post notifier!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
Just found the new site. Got error message when I used my existing bookmark. Good to see things are up and running!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
Just found the new site. Got error message when I used my existing bookmark. Good to see things are up and running!

My existing bookmark worked just fine, although mine is a direct link to the forums not the site home page.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
So now that all the fall craziness, holidays, and personal projects are out of the way I'm finally able to budget out some time to work on this site again.

I'm currently working on getting the rest of the site moved over from the old host. I'm also going to setup a new home page that will hopefully include things like a weather feed for Branson, news feeds from Branson newspapers, the FB feed, and of course our own occasional upates.

If you see some error messages or the site gets "locked down" with a login popup that comes when you try to access the site, just ignore it for a little while.

I'll also try to get back to adjusting the forum look and feel.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
That sounds great, Shave!  The weather feed will be a nice addition.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Step 1 complete: got the old content management system and content transferred over. If you go to sdcfans.com now it should show the old home page and all associated content again.

That was the most painful part, now I can get to work on actual improvements.

Anyone see anything not working? The forum feed has to be added back in - in addition to everything else I'm adding, but can everyone access all the pages fine?

You might have to refresh a few times to get your cache to update, otherwise it will still send you back to the forums.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2017, 09:00:08 AM »
Shave, it looks good, I am not seeing or having any problems/issues..   

Good Job

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
Looks great and seems to be working fine -

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
Got the forum feed back on the home page and added the weather widget. I will have to re-arrange things to bring in the external news feeds.

I've also obviously been playing with the forum style. What do you guys think of the red? It's definitely bolder... but maybe too bold. I need to figure out how to bring back more rustic elements.

There should be a new logo in development as well. I'm getting it done through fiverr, so we'll see how that works. If it goes well I might get more graphics help through that source.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »
Liking a lot of the changes so far.  Not sure on the red, but then color changes usually take a while to grow on me, so don't put to much into that.

Like the newsfeed popping up on the top of the forum as well!
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »
The red seems a little weird now, but the blue looked weird at first, too. I think the red theme makes more sense, but I'm not sure why ???