Author Topic: Site Updates  (Read 76274 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Site Updates (Summer 2013)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »
Got a lot done today. More of the old content is easily accessible again, but there's still a lot of styling to do and I'm sure there's a lot of bugs. Haven't really run through everything very carefully yet, I've got to work in spurts.

Once I get all the big issues ironed out, I'll work more on the actual design to make it more interesting and unique.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
Thanks, Shave!  Your efforts will be appreciated.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Site looks good Shave. Real Nice

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Site Updates
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »
I finally updated the 'What's New' feed to pull in news stories from the main site instead of the old links that I meant to keep updating but never did. I'm trying to catch up on all the new developments, I didn't realize I had fallen so far behind on everything. I hope to do a better job in the future, but for now the next couple of months or so are going to be crazy for me. The good news is that in about two months I'll have more time on my hands and I'll be looking to re-ignite my old hobbies again.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »
I finally graduated from university last week, and for the first time in years things are starting to slow down for me. Now that I am moving into a more structured and predictable style of living, I'm hoping I can get back into some of my old hobbies such as web development and this site.

I've been writing down a list of things to knock out this week to get the site back to where it needs to be. This includes everything from visual updates to new content and new features.

I think I've mentioned this a few times before, but one of the reasons I created SDCFans was for it to be a 'sandbox' of sorts for me to learn web programming. Longtime veterans of this site have seen a number of my attempts at ambitious features come and go. I stripped all of that out of the site a couple years ago or so when we fell back to forums only. Now that I am looking at ramping it all back up again, I'm considering moving the main site off of my custom CMS into being a wordpress site. This would allow for a huge amount of custom third-party plugins that could easily be installed, freeing me up to focus on content. The downside is that it would be less easy to customize the site's features, and I tend to be particular about what I want. Still, a clunky feature that works is better than one that doesn't, so I think this is something I'll be working on over the summer.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
Congratulations!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
That sounds like a good plan, and congratulations!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
So you graduated and moved to Tulsa. Congratulations!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
Glad to read you graduated. Congrats and all best wishes. :)
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:11 PM »
Progress on upgrading the site has been slow going. I'm theoretically about half-way through converting the site's current look into a wordpress theme, but it's been such a pain to do so and I still haven't really finished the design I intended anyway. At this point I thinking about just getting a "vintage" theme and modifying it a bit to suit our needs. That would probably be a lot less work for me and the end result would be a lot cleaner and more responsive. It will mean yet another overhaul of the look of the site though.

I just want to get back to content creation. I have a lot less time in the evenings these days than I thought I would, so any effort towards coding and web design just saps my ability to write and gather new content.

Hope to get something put together soon.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
Keep up the good work, we appreciate you. :)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
Glad to hear you graduated and hope those job offers start pouring in!  This site is really something you should be proud of!
I'm Your Huckleberry

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
Shave...thanks for all your hard work. The site is great and I have had many hours of enjoyment from it. This site is my most visited site and the only forum I will be part of. Thanks for bringing us all together. We have become, in my opinion, a family who loves to discuss our beloved SDC...
Colorado SDC Fan

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
The first thread I read on this site still sticks with me and is one of my favorite..."The aura of SDC..." Reading those posts is an awesome experience...Where is or what is Andymeets1880 up to now a days? Haven't heard or seen anything from him for a while...
Colorado SDC Fan

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »
There are several folks who added much to the forums and then something in their personal life changed and they drifted away. I will continue to encourage all to keep posting, and that includes comments, photos and videos. This is a friendly site, some others are not. Keep up the good work, folks.