Author Topic: The NEW Oceans of Fun  (Read 10903 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
The NEW Oceans of Fun
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
The park looks amazing.  EVERYTHING has been redone.  New slide tower is awesome too.
http://midwestinfoguide.com/oceans/2013/05.25/
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Oceans of Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:34:30 AM »
Great pics as usual. 

Looks like competition was good for the park, It was WAY past due for upgrades..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
I think now that OOF is combined with WOF we will see more frequent additions to the park.  When the parks were separate, it was very hard to justify spending money on that park as it really did not make any money.  Now ROI will be a lot easier to get on additions.  The PTB mentioned several times that they will be closely monitoring traffic between the two parks and will not hesitate to add additional capacity to OOF if it is needed.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the report, Swoosh. Interesting to see what some of the other regional parks are doing. This was a big redo for them. Have you had a chance to do Magic Springs in Hot Springs this year? I understand things are perhaps a bit shaky there financially.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »
Nah.  I haven't been to Magic Springs since they added the wave simulator.
There is nothing to draw me there, TBQH and since I have no sentimental connection, it is doubtful I'll ever visit again unless something MAJOR is added.
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »
Great review!  I have only been to Oceans of Fun once, and I think that was about 8 years ago.  I may have to talk my family into a visit soon.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
The two parks are combined now into one low price so it is definitely a good value - WOF/OOF
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
The two parks are combined now into one low price so it is definitely a good value - WOF/OOF

Do you think that Schitterbahn forced their hand or were they just following St. Flags lead?

Plus two hotels in KC with indoor waterparks. The Holiday Inn and Great Wolf.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »
OOF really needed a lot of work and the PTB had a hard time justifying the cost without quick ROI.
I would say Schlitterbahn didn't help, but there are also a lot of pop up city pools adding major slides anymore that were killing attendance as well.

This year OOF has been packed everyday I've been there and so far I've been there 4 times
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »
OOF really needed a lot of work and the PTB had a hard time justifying the cost without quick ROI.
I would say Schlitterbahn didn't help, but there are also a lot of pop up city pools adding major slides anymore that were killing attendance as well.

This year OOF has been packed everyday I've been there and so far I've been there 4 times

You are right about the evolution of municipal facilities. Rogers just opened theirs, little ol Alma has quite a nice one for a small town

Along with the new one in Rogers and the one coming in Ft. Smith. Some in Fayetteville safe now wanting to explore one in a new large park in the south end of town.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
My question is, are they (the municipal pools) making enough money to warrant the additional liability insurance premium costs?
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
swoosh, thats what i have been wondering also.. 
these small towns build these "Aquatic Parks"..

i dont see how they are being supported, the city fathers are more interested in keeping up with the "Jones'", than running the pool like a business.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
swoosh, thats what i have been wondering also.. 
these small towns build these "Aquatic Parks"..

i dont see how they are being supported, the city fathers are more interested in keeping up with the "Jones'", than running the pool like a business.

Well, the one in Rogers seems to operating with the notion of paying for itself. They are offering half off 10 visit punch card for the next couple of days which gives a family and friends 10 admissions for 5 bucks. It is a lot harder to sue govt in Arkansas and most other states. It can be done but they have more protections than a person or business has.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »
Pools are the money pit of any city, but they are needed to keep people in the community.  Many of these pools that are putting in water park type things are buying them from parks that are remodeling or rt hey are getting grants for them in addition to adding from their own pot. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
That may be true Diana and Chittlins.. 

LOL..  I have a different look at that. I live in a small town in eastern kansas. 1,000 peopl (maybe).  the county seat is  8 miles away,  (2,000 people)... 

Anyway 8 minutes south of me is a nice little federal park that has 4 swimming areas with nice clean sandy beaches... NE of me is another federal lake, 3 nice swimmng areas..  LOL. i was raised swimming in ponds and lakes, I dont understand the pool thing here at home, with the lakes and ponds so close by..