Author Topic: Outlaw run downtime  (Read 6022 times)

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Outlaw run downtime
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »
First time posting but have enjoyed the input from people for a while now. Surprised there hasn't been more discussions about the continuous issues that OR seems to have. I have been to the park 3 times this year, opening day seemed to run pretty smooth but the other two times (including today) had the ride down more than it was up. Shouldn't the kinks be worked out by now?  I know all things that have moving parts need maintenance but this seems to be getting ridiculous.
While I'm at it. Powderkeg was down most of the day and when it finally opened only ran one train. Wait time at 3 was an hour and a half. TnT also ran only one train.
If your 10mil showpiece is going to be down half the time the other rides should be prepared to handle the extra crowds.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Outlaw run downtime
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:00:47 AM »
Other than opening day, Outlaw Run has been up all day when I've visited.
Not sure what is going on with Powder Keg this year.  I got evaced from it on Wednesday.
SWOOSH

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
PK was down more than it was running last year too... Not sure why...?
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
While I cant answer definitive for SDC rides. Having been involved in SFSL ride & operations for a few years not too long ago.  I can tell you that cold weather, high winds and wet conditions most definitely effect the operations and safety of coasters.  Some are worse than others.  Mr Freeze and BOSS at SFSL is very much cold weather fragile.

I understand these are different rides (I think from different MFGRs---I didnt do any reasearch as I should have). Either way--like cars--some of the technology used is still the same. I think BOSS and possibly OR and PK could be operated in cold weather, but it isnt worth taking that chance.  Having several complaints about "down" rides is still better than even ONE injury.

This year has been nothing but wet & cold.  As far as PK being down alot last year when it was hot & dry!!!!!  Maybe PK is just a fair weather friend. IDK.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
Seems like Powder Keg is down about half of our visits.  It does get annoying. OR has been up both of our visits so far this year. Pm down both and the girls was hot last time as it's her favorite.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:27:20 AM »
Been frustrated the last two days at sdc as Powderkeg has failed to open on time. Made an extra effort to get there first thing and it was down for the first hour and a half or so.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »
Run time aside, OR is getting some additional pub on CNN.com today as one of 10 new coasters in the world to try.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/27/travel/roller-coasters-2013/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »
I'm growing more concerned about these downtime reports. SDC used to be so highly lauded for it's high-capacity, highly reliable rides (well, minus Buzzsaw Falls...). It seems like three of the last four major additions tend to have fairly high amounts of downtime: The Giant Swing, Powderkeg, and Outlaw Run. I know S&S rides are just plain finicky, but I thought SDC would have been able to overcome these issues by now.

As for Outlaw Run, we should be patient as every park that installs an innovative 'World's First' style attraction experiences these issues, no matter how high-caliber they are. It's just part of the game you have to play to get the biggest, best, and most innovative thrills.

I just hope they go with B&M for the next coaster, for the sake of actually getting something they know will work. It seems like some days you can only count on Wildfire to actually be open most of the day. In fact, I have yet to see or hear of a breakdown on Wildfire...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Let's just say that Wildfire is maintenance's favorite ride at the park and leave it at that.
SWOOSH

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
Well at the beginning of this year Mystery Mine at Dollywood was having a lot of downtime and riding very rough. An employee said on screamscape that they called Gerstauler and they replaced all the wiring and Dollywood also replaced Mystery Mine's trains with brand new ones complete with Dollywood's updated logo and the employee reports since then operation has been optimal with no downtime and since getting new trains guest complaints have dropped significantly. I rode the ride last weekend and the ride has improved! It was VERY smooth! It's also still popular with Guests. The line was all the way down the stairs last weekend. So it's still a popular coaster. SDC will work out the kinks. It just takes time.