Author Topic: Upgrades Underway... Again  (Read 19168 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Upgrades Underway... Again
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:55:15 PM »
The sixth major revision to SDCFans is underway. Right now pretty much everything is functional except for the user controls. I'll be attempting to integrate the main site's user features with the forums, so it may be awhile until you can post comments on the main site.

A lot more stuff broke than I thought, but I got pretty much everything that I needed to stay up for done right now. There's a lot of styling issues to go back and fix.

Anyway, tell me about any browser bugs you encounter. I think I've got it pretty well adjusted for Firefox and IE7, but I haven't had a chance to try IE6 yet - I'm sure it's as bad or worse than the old site there.

The ride attraction pages and some of the other content pages have been totally skrewed. I'll be re-doing them anyway I guess.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:01:08 AM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Upgrades Underway... Again
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:56 AM »
Wow.  I opened the main page and was like "WTH!"

;)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »
As I said before, I like the new look.

I'm wondering, though, why you have White Water listed as "WWB Info".  White Water in Branson is White Water.  White Water in Oklahoma City became White Water Bay when it sold to Frontier City.

Also, how about a tab for "Other HFE Enterprises"?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
^I'll make those changes tonight.

Additionally, I'll be whipping out a calendar feature later tonight as well, though it will lack the color-coded feature that displays the guesstimated attendance level of the given day. I'll add that in later. Hopefully I'll get around to adding an RSS feed as well, for the few who actually use them.

I'll also be working on the new attraction review system, which will replace the static pages used now. The park info pages are being left in their crappily formatted state for now due to this.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »
You rock!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 12:05:31 AM »
Spoke too soon again. The Calendar is actually done (well, enough for now), but I ran out of time to add it to the site, and I know what to do for the RSS feeds now, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether or not my server would support PHP5 so it didn't get done either. I'll get those features up in the next couple of days. 

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »
I like the new site too! Great job Steve!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
Does anyone have any comments on how the site works for them? What do you all think of the tabbed news box? I still have a lot of changes to make, including a lot of styling on the news pages and especially some of the content pages, but as far as getting to the content, is everything working all right?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »
^The events pages and calendar are pretty screwed up right now but you just put them up so they'll be fixed soon I'd suppose.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »
I like the tabbed news box a lot.  I also really like the latest posts feature.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »
^The events pages and calendar are pretty screwed up right now but you just put them up so they'll be fixed soon I'd suppose.

Yeah, I plan to sort out the events and news pages eventually. I'll add a side menu that sorts the news/events into months and then a select box so you can choose news/events for each separate park. Plus, that calendar will be fixed up to show crowd levels and events better.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »
Sorry for all the errors and down-time today, but I got the new login system for the main site working - sort of. When you log in on the main site it sends you to the forums, so you have to type sdcfans.com back into your address bar and hit the site again. I'll try to fix that tomorrow. Still, you can now write comments on news stories again and write reviews for your favorite rides using the new attraction database.

I'll be rolling out the new main site profiles and maybe some other stuff tomorrow.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »
UUUUUUUUGG

I wasted away several hours today trying to get the login box to redirect back to the page logged in from, but to no avail. So for right now I simply added a couple of links from the forums back to the main site. See the new 'Main Site' tab? Should have added that by now anyway.

I'm moving on to the new user photo and video modules now - I'll fix this later.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:52 PM »
The Main Site tab is something we've needed for quite some time.  I'm sorry I didn't actually ask for it before you added it.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 02:23:32 AM »
Redirects can be a pain.

I always enter the forum here:

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?action=unread

That's the standard SMF way of displaying new, unread posts. I realize I don't see the main page content at sdcfans.com, but I figure that if there's anything there I need to see, someone will link to it from within the forum. I subscribe to several other SMF-based forums that are wrapped within a website or wiki (and I even own/administrate one), and that's how they work best.

And by the way... thank you, thank you, thank you for choosing SMF instead of phpBB or vBulletin!