Author Topic: Upgrades Underway... Again  (Read 19167 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Upgrades Underway... Again
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 10:10:04 PM »
So there's some weird stuff going on right now with certain aspects of the site.

Some of the content that was on the History pages isn't showing up anymore, even though it's in the database, and I can't see why. Also, the login on the main site no longer works, and I had it fixed finally so that it would redirect. I don't know how stuff like this randomly breaks all the sudden, but I'll get it fixed as soon as I can get around to it.

Also, I would have been done with the user photos feature by now, but I've been having some weird troubles with some code there as well...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
The login sort of works now, and the user photo galleries are really coming along.

By the way, the comment boxes on new stories are working now, as well as the user reviews for all SDC/CC rides, attractions, and eateries. Tell me if any bugs pop up though, a lot of this stuff is turning out a lot rougher than it should've.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
The user galleries are finally done - I think. I need some help from you guys to test the system out. Head over to the main site and click the 'Your Profile' link in the little blue bar under the big banner (If this isn't showing up, you may need to log out of the forums and log back in again manually).

From there it should be easy enough to figure out what to do. Click on the Upload Photos link, add a gallery, upload some photos, and try deleting them and the gallery. It should all work, but it's hard to test it myself because I code for what I will do.

Keep in mind that I'm not done styling things yet. The table that holds the gallery information, for example, is really crappy looking. Luckily, after this and the video feature is done, I'll be able to focus on things like that and finish this upgrade up.

sdcforever

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
^Most of it worked fine in Firefox.  I was able to add a gallery, upload some random sample photos from my computer, and delete the photos.  I actually never tried to delete an individual photo.  I just tried to delete the entire album.  When I did that, it deleted all the photos, but my album still shows up.  The thing is, I can't edit anything relating to the album (title, description) because it tells me the album doesn't exist.  Yet it's listed as an album.  Kinda weird.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I did all of the above in Internet Explorer.  When I try to log in to the main site using Firefox, it takes me to the forums.  When I click to go back to the main site to view my profile it gives me the prompt to log in again.  I can't do anything regarding my profile on the main site in Firefox because it won't let me log in to the main site, only the forums.

EDIT #2:  FYI, I'm at work and the version of Firefox they have is old (1.0.7), so that might have a lot to do with it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:41:14 PM by sdcforever »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:36 PM »
Ah, so it's actually deleting the album, but it's holding on to the entry in the database - I'll fix that right away.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
The login on the main site is down currently. It got really buggy, so I'm going to have to re-do it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »
Man, sorry you are having all these bugs popping up on you.
Good luck on having a speedy and "easier" time with the rest of your upgrade
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »
Alright, so now the login on the main site works a little better (though it will not remember you: when you close your browser you log off), but the log out function is partially broken. If you go from the main site straight to the forums, the log out won't work. To log out you need to go through a page or two on the forums, then click Logout. Yet another thing I'll fix soon - it's just really weird making the forum code work with the main site.

Anyway, I'm about to crap out the video module and then I'll fix up the news and events pages a bit. That will almost finish up this upgrade, leaving a few superficial things to add like a new footer, a rotating banner and events box on the home page, and a fixing up some of the old content that got messed up somewhere in this upgrade. Oh yeah - I almost forgot that I was also going to whip up some new T-shirt designs and look into a new forum skin.

I'm about to go on a short trip though, so the rest of this will have to wait until mid next week.

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 08:28:25 AM »
^Thanks for all your hard work, Steve!  The site is great!  What's the video module?

Enjoy your trip! :)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »
I really like the new look and all the user features. I've been away (I'm still away actually) and it all looks really great. I can't wait to use some of the user features later on.

It looks like the site is getting closer to being community driven just like you wanted though! Great job!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Anyone getting the main site login to work? It seemed like I had fixed it, but now it's down again... I'll have to look into it again tomorrow.

I just noticed again how much content is still messed up, I'll try to get that fixed as soon as possible.

sdcforever

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
^Nope, I'm not getting the login on the main site to work.  When I log in it transfers me to the forums, and when I click to go back to the main site I'm not logged in any more.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
^^It's always worked for me. I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't mentioned this but I love the new Main Site tab here on the forums. Makes things A LOT easier.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:01:27 AM by Coaster »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
What about now? I don't know how solid it is, but it works most of the time for me now. It's kind of dependent on the individual browser and what sessions are being carried. Someday I'll figure something better out.

Anyway, I'll crap out the video thing tonight. It'll only actually be a title and a place to paste the embed code from youtube. I thought about using several other methods, but I don't want to mess with all that right now. It's simplest just to upload to youtube.

Also, most of the content has been fixed up. The Lost SDC concepts in particular are looking better now.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
^Yep, it is still working for me. I think being able to upload videos on the site will be a great thing. I bet we can find some great stuff.