Author Topic: New ride concept survey  (Read 31430 times)

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
New ride concept survey
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »
Has anyone else taken the online survey about a new ride concept? 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: New ride concept survey
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
Not I. Details?

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
It looks like it would be a clone of Dollywood's River Battle, only themed to Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.  It gave a few choices of names.  I thought it was strange because I thought it was almost a done deal for a coaster next year.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
Sigh. I think this would make a good attraction a few years down the road but definitely not next year. This also doesn't tie in with 2009 being SDC's largest capital expense to date theory.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
where do you take the online survey?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
Can you give us a link?

I told you guys this would turn up eventually - keep in mind that this may be for 2010 or later though, they would have had to plan this out more than two months in advance for it to be next year's ride.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »
^Good point. So if we get our own version of a Mystery Mine coaster next year and a splash battle in 2010 or later, it will appear we are copying all of Dollywood's ideas. Not much would be said because both are owned by the Herschend's but still.

Have to keep in mind though that this is all just speculation.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »
We have the survey, but have yet to look at it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:30:29 PM »
Someone please provide some real details. I'm dying to know what's going on here. What are the concepts? What are the details? What are the descriptions? What does the artwork look like? Take a screenshot of it or something. It's not like they're really trying to keep this on the down-low, you can tell us what you were asked.

I really won't mind if this is indeed a Splash Battle. I still think DW's is a bit cheesy, but it works there. For SDC I think (and pray) that they'll spring for more realistic theming, and the Splash Battles in Europe have sported some pretty impressive theming. A whole Mississippi bog themed to Tom Sawyer would work sooooo well... 

You know, getting everything after DW has tried it isn't so bad. They work out all the bugs for us, so by the time we get a given attraction, the company knows what they want to do to make it better.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »
Sorry.  I just got back from Orlando and didn't have the ability to upload the pics at our hotels.  I am happy, however, to still have the opportunity to scoop everyone else out there and post it all at this time.

The ride concept is this:  Tom and Huck have set up shop on the banks of the Big Muddy and guests will have the chance to shoot at targets, each other, and people on shore along the 500 foot channel.  Pretty standard stuff.

Anyway - three names are being considered:  Tom and Huck's Battle, Blast, or Adventure.  We voted for Adventure because it ties better with Mark Twain's books.  Other questions included whether or not we would be apt to ride this ride and what age group we thought it would most appeal to.

There are four artist concepts.  If it turns out like this and not all plastic-looking it won't look bad, though I don't think it really appeals to us much anyway.  I am glad they want to keep Tom and Huck in the park though.

(See images on Main Site.)

What do you think?  Notice the picture of a treehouse and another of a boat (Tadpole in Geyser Gulch?).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:03:02 AM by History Buff »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
The balloons and carousel closed today a fence will be raised around the area. I wonder what they are going to be opening next year?

Also the bottom right picture looks a lot like the carousel barn.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
You are right about that!  That gets me a little more excited that they might be planning a Tom Sawyer's Landing revival.  Maybe the whole area would get a face lift with this as an addition.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:26:54 AM »
The balloons and carousel closed today a fence will be raised around the area. I wonder what they are going to be opening next year?

Also the bottom right picture looks a lot like the carousel barn.

WHOA, what? Geez, that's a pretty big development. Can you divulge? Maybe in the other thread? We need to get some photos of this.

The concept art for the Splash Battle has eased my worries a bit. It looks like it will extend what they have already done in the area and even add in a bit of nostalgia by using re-introducing Huck Finn to the park. Talk about a win in all directions. Looks like we have a few years of excitement ahead.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »
Wow! That looks really neat! I've only seen a few pictures of the plastic looking River Battle at Dollywood but these concept art pictures already look a lot better. I still stand at my decision that I want a coaster this year and this the year after that or later.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
looks great but its just splash harbor in the center of town?
i like this one a whole lot better because it is at least themed better.  but 2 places to shoot water at your friends? i'm not all that excited about that kind of sad now... and the tree house looked to be in the middle of the water so it would still be off limits.... i wanted back in the tree!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:45:31 AM by DocSpeleo »