Author Topic: SF Magic Mountain: ANOTHER new coaster?  (Read 3805 times)

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
SF Magic Mountain: ANOTHER new coaster?
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:32:27 PM »
According to rcdb's new in 2009 page, Six Flags Magic Mountain is getting ANOTHER coaster in 2009!
Apparently it will be a "family coaster". I'm just wondering where they are finding room for another one.
It seems like they are putting all this money into Magic Mountain, but last time I went there
it had one of the worst attendances I have ever seen, and that was Spring Break!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SF Magic Mountain: ANOTHER new coaster?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
You really can't make rash judgments about a park's attendance based off of one or even several visits, even during days that are supposed to be crowded. After all, look at SDC this year: the days that people expect to be packed are relatively light, yet other days have been completely swamped.

As far as getting new coasters though, they actually really need to add in another just to make up for the loss of 3 in the past two years. I'm sure some of the GP think the park is crashing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »
While giving his keynote speech at the ACE banquet, Mark Shapiro let it slip that Magic Mountain would be getting a new wooden GCI coaster next year. He said it would be themed to the movie "Terminator Salvation."
SWOOSH

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
A woody themed to the terminator? Doesn't that sound more like steel coaster territory?
But swoosh, I'm not the only person who has said Magic mountain has bad attendance.

You really can't make rash judgments about a park's attendance based off of one or even several visits, even during days that are supposed to be crowded. After all, look at SDC this year: the days that people expect to be packed are relatively light, yet other days have been completely swamped.

As far as getting new coasters though, they actually really need to add in another just to make up for the loss of 3 in the past two years. I'm sure some of the GP think the park is crashing.

Not to mention the fact that just a year or two ago, they were talking about selling the park. I don't think "rash judgments" would be a correct statement.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
I'll believe the terminator woodie thing when I see it. Can't they think up new themes anymore? I'd love to see them try to do something without a commercial brand.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »
THAT I can agree to.