Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 386727 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #915 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »
Once again, got to love how Brad points out that Fireman's Landing continues the story line of the entire park. I know some of us don't like how this area is full of rides, but you do have to appreciate these details and how hard they are trying to satiate both old fans and a whole new generation with different expectations. They've made a lot of effort in specifically referring to the firehouse as Firehouse #3 and mentioning FiTH with it, when they could have just set it up as some old old-timey firehouse.

They need more kudos for that then we've been giving them, because while we're quick to point out all the things that are supposedly slipping from "Miss Mary's Time", it can be hard to really take notice when they are making more effort than they theoretically need to for the sake of the blue blood fans and the little things that make the park special. A while back a lot of us were really concerned that the tale of Marmos and the original story of the theme behind the town would disappear, but here it is back front and center again.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 22, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #917 on: January 22, 2015, 07:36:33 AM »
I know there's some special facts about this bell topper, but I can't find them anywhere for some reason. Hometown Daily News says it is actually from 1890, but they're the only ones saying that. Are we sure it just doesn't look like it's from the 1890's? Usually these toppers are pretty special (i.e., the rooster on top of TGS), so there's bound to be some really cool details about it. I wish I could find some more definitive sources... maybe I'll just have to email them about it if nothing else.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 22, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
Shave, I was wondering the same thing..  The way SDC does things, I know that the "bell tower" is something special.. Or at least I would expect it to be.?

Where did it come from,

Who refurbished it? if indeed it was rebuilt?

Maybe Tinman will jump in here and give us some details..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #919 on: January 22, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/historic-bell-rings-in-silver-dollar-city-expansion/article_69de68cf-111f-5f5e-b10a-ba4e9a0c5bea.html

It turns out the bell is in fact from the 1890's. It was forged in 1895, but I still haven't heard where it came from yet. Weird how the details on this are so scattered. Usually these types of details are emphasized much more in these articles.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #920 on: February 13, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
SDC's facebook has a new photo and a new video of the area. The photo shows the dalmations ride... I find it pretty cartoony/tacky considering the historic standards of the park, but it's kind of expected and not so bad, all things considered. It's not as bad as the random elephants anyway.  ::)

The video shows the inside of the play area. Another special note here about how they listened to comments and suggestions from guests. It kind of looks a bit empty in there right now, but they're obviously not done. I hope there's plenty of decoration, theme, and toys on the way because right now it's just a bunch of flat platforms. I worry that the ADA design guidelines are going to take a way some of the experience here...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #921 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:56 PM »
It just looks so sterile to me, and they dared to drop the V-word in the video, stating that the fire station is in the style of "the Victorian era".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:13 PM »
It was nice to hear that the play area is climate controlled.  That will be nice in the colder months.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 13, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »
I am ready to check out the finished project in 30 days.

Looks very well thought out...  Doubt if I in the area 2 or 3 times a year, BUT I am NOT the demographic they are shooting for..  

glad to see it, AND iwith the "climate control" it will be open all year around it sounds like.

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
I was at the park doing some work today and snapped this pic

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 23, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
The balloons look great too!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 23, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Wildfire!
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #927 on: February 23, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the photos! It looks great! And the paint job on the balloons looks amazing; it really fits the park. This area is such a huge improvement, it's got to be one of the best projects the park has ever taken on. We've gone from Tom Sawyer's Landing, to Geyser Gulch, to this, and I think this is the best they've ever done with it. I wish they had put half as much effort into GE.

They keep pushing the dog character. I wonder how that will progress, because I can't really see where they're going with it. It's obviously not going to go viral or anything, but it will be cute for the kids to take pictures with.

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 24, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
Thanks, the pictures are awesome.  I agree with you shave I think this is going to be an awesome addition.  And my kids are so excited to meet lucky, they watch the update videos at least once a week.  I can't wait to see it over spring break
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:28:11 AM by Madtwins »

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 24, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
Where do you go to see the update videos?
Colorado SDC Fan