Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 386674 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #885 on: October 29, 2014, 07:58:31 PM »
Wow, old Eli Tolts' former stomping grounds sure look a lot different! Ha! Thanks Swoosh for the report, I had not seen it. Great photos.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #886 on: October 29, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »
If I had to guess, you could probably take a look at the gift shop near Firechaser Express at Dollywood and do a c/p of what they have and you'll have a good idea of what the new shop will offer
SWOOSH

Clanouper

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 06, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »
I have no idea why any person who has ever ridden a vekoma coaster would ever want one at SDC.  I have ridden several and quite frankly hate them all.  B&M is a FAR superior coaster builder.  I think Chillins works for Vekoma's marketing department.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #888 on: November 06, 2014, 07:47:27 AM »
^Well, if you've been on any recent Vekoma's, you'd know that they are more competitive and make much better rides now. The old SLC's and boomerangs are going to stick around for a long time, but they aren't what Vekoma offers today. The family coaster they built for FC, for example, is just about perfect for what it is. That being said, it seems they are still having a few issues since the mis-hap with the signature coasters they built for Universal Singapore.

But back to the topic at hand: we'll be inundated with photos from FL this weekend. Coaster Christmas participants will be given a construction tour on Saturday I believe.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 06, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »
^Well, if you've been on any recent Vekoma's, you'd know that they are more competitive and make much better rides now. The old SLC's and boomerangs are going to stick around for a long time, but they aren't what Vekoma offers today. The family coaster they built for FC, for example, is just about perfect for what it is. That being said, it seems they are still having a few issues since the mis-hap with the signature coasters they built for Universal Singapore.

But back to the topic at hand: we'll be inundated with photos from FL this weekend. Coaster Christmas participants will be given a construction tour on Saturday I believe.

And yet Disney used Vekoma for their new Seven Dwarves Mine Train and supposedly the coming Troy Coaster in China as ell as other coasters in the Disney Parks. Oh, the horror.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #890 on: November 09, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
New photos of FL: http://sdcfans.com/firemans-landing-update-coaster-christmas/
I know Swoosh will have some good ones up soon too. 

I was getting a little antsy about how the area was laid out based on the photos, but it's looking like it will turn out nicely. It's just kind of hard to really visualize until you see it in person - and of course it's only half constructed at this point.

They have indeed moved the classic firewagon off of the main square. It is currently sitting under a tarp near the steam powered lathe, and will apparently appear near the doorway of the new Fire House#3 (Main square is #1, FitH is #2 I'm assuming). They also confirmed that Salvage Dogs were on site and are producing some sort of decoration to honor fire fighters.

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #891 on: November 10, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »
Here are some more from 11/8/14 Enjoy!

I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 10, 2014, 10:03:52 PM »
Wow! Seeing all of this construction kinda makes me feel uneasy about the Fireman's Landing. I mean I hate to be that guy. I want to look forward to the new stuff and I want to keep an open mind, but for every new area I feel like the park I grew up in is dying. I know as one grows older the magic filter you see as a kid is gone and you really do start realize things for what they are. Though these changes are just kinda changing the park.

I hate the Grand Exposition area as it looks to modern. I love Outlaw Run though I wish some older looking material was used in that area and there were more trees. When I heard of the Landing I thought this was a great idea. I mean the theme fit well, much better than Geyser Gulch ever did. Though the thought of the buildings from Greedy Bros. being gone is just weird and I feel like it would take away much of the charm the lake had.

Seeing the toy barrel gone makes saddens me. I remember looking at it as a kid in awe. I remember walking past there this last summer in awe just because of the quality of it and the charm. Plus, I have always thought that area had a very interesting, unique feel. With the way the buildings come together and the ivy ceilings and wooden statues on top the building. It'll be weird seeing this gone.

It really is weird seeing all this stuff looking like Grand Expo. Really I think I would have a different feeling about the area when I walk around. Walking through the Grand Expo really makes me remember why I love the City. Cuz I hate that part so much and when walking around the other areas of the park where more classic attractions stand and older buildings full with the neat older looking art signs.

The City has influenced me so much as an aspiring artist. I really hate seeing stuff go away like this.

Sorry for going off topic. I thought this would be a nice place to just vent my reaction to these changes in the park and overall change in it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #893 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
^I know where you're coming from, but I have to keep telling people that you can't get too down about the changes in the park just for nostalgia's sake. The park has always been changing, and while some pieces are painful to lose, the important factors are all still here. Plus, no matter how you shake it this area is a huge improvement over what was there before. It's really impressive in person and it's not even half-way done.

During the speaker portion Brad put some emphasis on the story behind FL. This area extends the story of Fire-in-the-Hole be creating a training grounds for future firemen and women who will ensure that Baldknobbers can never again burn the town down. They specifically emphasized that this was Fire Station #3. That kind of imagination and attention to detail is what has always made the park special and unique, and as long as they keep that around I'll be happy.

Just wait till next March, though it will be weird to see the toy store that we've grown up with changed and modernized, it will really make this area look amazing for a new generation of fans. Different isn't always bad.  ;)

Great photos psychosaw!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 11, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Good comments and photos.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 14, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »

During the speaker portion Brad put some emphasis on the story behind FL. This area extends the story of Fire-in-the-Hole be creating a training grounds for future firemen and women who will ensure that Baldknobbers can never again burn the town down.

With this, can we at least have a small glimmer of hope that Fire-In-The-Hole will get a makeover/refurb at some point?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 14, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Great pictures..  hope to be there sunday

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #897 on: November 14, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »

During the speaker portion Brad put some emphasis on the story behind FL. This area extends the story of Fire-in-the-Hole be creating a training grounds for future firemen and women who will ensure that Baldknobbers can never again burn the town down.

With this, can we at least have a small glimmer of hope that Fire-In-The-Hole will get a makeover/refurb at some point?

A re-build of FitH is inevitable within the next decade or sooner, I think. It's not just old, it's simply not holding up and needs a lot of work. I think I heard one of the officials talking about this a little at one point, and I was glad to hear them acknowledge that it is such a special ride and they will have to do something to keep it's essence alive in the future. Hard to say how they'll do that... maybe a topic to continue in the 2016 or future speculation threads.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #898 on: November 15, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
Here's my photos of the Construction Site Tour from Coaster Christmas.

http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2014/11.08/
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
Here's my photos of the Construction Site Tour from Coaster Christmas.

http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2014/11.08/

Good Set Pinto