Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384376 times)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #825 on: August 16, 2014, 04:57:14 AM »
The double shot program will definitely give us more sustained g forces.  FITH will still give us more 'gee' forces, as in "Awww geeee, wow!!!"  I wasn't expecting the 20th anniversary special edition of the Tower of Terror.  The building does look great, and I can't see anything other than what's in the pictures, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with always wishing for more.  Otherwise, it's like saying you think it's perfect, and frankly I haven't thought of any addition as being perfect, going back as far as I can remember to LRO, although I'd think WF and now OR would be nearly considered so by the overwhelming majority.   I was never a fan of the look of the GG structure and so this suits me fine, although we'll just have to wait and see what the GP thinks.  I think it will be considered at least a modest improvement overall.  I didn't know Miss Mary, but I tend to think she'd be pretty positive about FL and that says it all. 

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 16, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »
This probably does not belong here, but it kind of does too. With the new addition-upgrade if you would take the park and draw a straight line from HDH through main street down through the lake it seems like the west side ( thunderation side) is growing as more of the family side of the park. Where as The East side is more the thrill side. Wonder if this is intentional or just how things are progressing? Feel free to move this to a new topic if appropriate.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 16, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »
Here's the Friday 8/15 article from Branson Tri-Lakes News about the new area. It has quotes from Brad Thomas and Lisa Rau.

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_b9579f66-24b6-11e4-aa1f-001a4bcf887a.html

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #828 on: August 16, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
Runner, it's easier to hide coasters on the side of a hill and that's where the hill is
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 16, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
People wanted the splash pads....looks like they are staying, or possibly even making it larger.

Looks like it.  Pay attention to all the splashing behind the entrance.  The squiggles in the concept map must be the static hoses in this picture:

That will be much more meaningful theming than a random ball toss and splash pad just for the sake of having them.  The attraction is not for me, but I can certainly appreciate the look.

And it's certainly not an out-of-theme World of Flight with airplanes <shudder>
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #830 on: August 16, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
This probably does not belong here, but it kind of does too. With the new addition-upgrade if you would take the park and draw a straight line from HDH through main street down through the lake it seems like the west side ( thunderation side) is growing as more of the family side of the park. Where as The East side is more the thrill side. Wonder if this is intentional or just how things are progressing? Feel free to move this to a new topic if appropriate.

In the eighties, when Sawyer's Landing was still in tact, the inner "circle" of the park was intended for families, with larger, "concentric" circles becoming more and more for the wilder attractions.  The intention was to keep the younger ones "confined" a little bit more.  It was a great idea, but with so many exits from the inner circle, parents had to be on the alert of a little one wandering out.  The current plan works better all around.  I believe there is something to be said for your theory, and it works for Swoosh's response, as well:  it keeps the teens more "confined" on the wilder hillside, gives families areas with single exits, and sets the coasters on a hillside.  Who doesn't love that OR is as close to the ground as possible, using the contour of the hill!  I say keep using the hill and the trees like that whenever possible, and those attractions will keep making SDC the unique destination that it is.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 16, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »
Most of the time we don't go past lost river.  Not that the other side isn't great, but coasters take our family out with motion sickness.  I like that I don't have to trek all across the park!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
They're not wasting any time on the deconstruction.
http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2014/08.17/
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 17, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
They're not wasting any time on the deconstruction.
http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2014/08.17/

Wow, that's a lot carefully coming down. Just last week not much demolition could be seen, but this week it's coming down fast...

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 17, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
They had to wait for Salvage Dogs to get done filming.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 17, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
I love it. I love it, and I will probably only be utilizing a couple of the new features of the area. I can't help but compare it to the GE since that was the last large addition the park made where they were advertising it as 10 new attractions for the entire family. And when I compare it to GE, FL is far and away a vast vast improvement. I really love the look of the brick fire station with the bell tower on top and the concept art of the shot tower, and how it comes out of the building. The look of these two things alone are more theming than we received with GE (although I am happy with how that area has progressed to become more shaded and inviting. I am not completely bashing GE). Along with the main centerpieces of the area, I love the gazebo on the lakefront and really like how the lake is going all natural now. It seems more time period appropriate.

The entire area is an upgrade over GG, which even growing up never really had my attention. The area is much more 1880's than GG ever was. I'm just really excited with the direction the park seems to be heading in with its recent additions. I guess that puts me right in agreement with Shave.

I guess my only complaint for the area is the lack of shopping, or more specifically and especially a craftsman or restaurant. It seems like a prime opportunity to place a fireman's themed restaurant in this area, and I know SDC could pull it off so well. I am expecting a gift shop to be placed somewhere in the area, most likely in that building right underneath the shot tower.

Overall, I think this will make a beautiful addition to the city.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 17, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »
The Toystore is being rethemed to correspond with the new area and will more than likely have souvenirs for the area as well.  I could see the Owen's Grill also rethemed to coincide with the area.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #837 on: August 17, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
Man, every. little. addition. is going to have its own t-shirt stand these days. Something about that irks me, but I don't really know why. Maybe just because it's gotten so cliche. Also, I know the toy store needed to be rebuilt for ADA access, but it is also a little unfortunate that it will likely loose it's architectural personality with this transformation. When SDC was a younger, smaller park, the buildings had so much character with their multiple levels, tight quarters, wood floors, etc. This is another one that is going to go modern more than likely.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 17, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
^Yes, unfortunately the days of those neat buildings that we grew up with at SDC are over. They'be been gone for awhile.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Dragon Dad

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 18, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »
I just saw the announcement and I really like the concept, especially the historical "hook" of the need for volunteer firefighters in the city after the burning of Marmaros to the ground.   I'm looking forward to some great theming in the new area similar to FITH.  The artist conception also looks great with its "decorated for an old fashioned fair" look and feel.   We'll miss GG, but this has the potential to be a very worthy replacement that doesn't seem out of place. 

Does anyone know if the dock-side water cannons will be re-purposed anywhere in the new area?   They already resembled fire-fighter equipment, so I think they would be a natural with the new FL theme, though they would require quite a bit of room.