Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 386903 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #810 on: August 14, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
The S&S Tower will run the double shot program.
The shade structures over the queues will be a lot like the ones in GE

Mountain Man, are you just trolling or something?  Because I don't even know how to respond to something like that.  I was really close to posting the Joker "not sure if serious" meme when I read it TBQH.

Quite honestly, I would imagine that it would take quite a bit of work to find something wrong with this addition.  When you go to TPR and read their thread and honestly other than some teenagers who are never satisfied, I cannot find a negative comment on it.  That's saying something considering how they tore apart Thunderbird at Holiday World after it was announced.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #811 on: August 14, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
^Good to know about the double shot program. That will make this area really worth stopping in for me. Thanks for the other info you posted earlier as well.

We're not going back to the "how to complain" discussion though.  ::)

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 14, 2014, 07:55:52 PM »
The fact that there's more to do than coasters is usually the only way I can convince people to even take a look at going to SDC. People my age group don't necessarily like the Six Flags experience any more than you. SDC has done virtually nothing but focus on rides since 2001, so there's plenty for everyone to do.

Shave, the above comment reminded me of the very first time I visited SDC.  We brought our church youth group thinking that they would really go for the thrill rides like Wildfire which had just opened at the time.  The funny thing was that they spent most of their time (especially a couple of the boys) visiting the shops.  It's a good reminder that it's not a good idea to pigeonhole demographic groups. 

I, on the other hand, wouldn't have gotten within a mile of a ride like Wildfire at the time, but a year or two later rode TNT and that gave me the courage to try Wildfire, and I was hooked.  So now, at 54, I love the thrill rides, the dark rides and the craftsmen & shops.  About the only thing I miss about a park like Disneyland is the dark rides with the amazing special effects and theming like the Haunted House. 

Of course I'm disappointed there's not going to be another amazing thrill ride with this addition, but I love the theming and think it's a big improvement over GG.  Looking forward to being in the city tomorrow night and getting my first ride on Outlaw Run!   ;D

In His grip!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #813 on: August 14, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
SDC's facebook page appears to have done a complete reversal from the naysaying that they were receiving the days before the announcement.  It's interesting to see how many think it's replacing FitH.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
SDC could do more to market itself better regionally. There has been an emphasis on the new ride or in the case of this year, the new summer festival. Lots on new folks moving into the area that don't really know much about it and all they are getting is ride promos.

SDC is getting a good bang for their buck for this if the 8 million figure is true. That's about half of what Hershey Park is spending for a new indoor coaster.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 15, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
I like the look of the building, not so fond of the walk around Dalmatian.  This is replacing a kids area so its not surprising its geared to kids but I would like to see a restaurant or something inserted that adults can appreciate as well.  When they try Disney is very good at this.  Most of GE is a waiting area for adults, waiting for kids to get off the rides because they are not geared to adults.  I would like to see something of a crossover attraction in the area.  Spinning is not an adult friendly motion, the double shot is lackluster and frankly never has much of a line at CC.  I hope SDC inserts something that is attractive to all age groups.  Think FM, or FITH. possibly they will clone the new DW coaster next year in this area to throw those above 10 years old a bone.
But the trees..... they removed the trees again.  Is it lack of willingness to plan around a select few specimens? or just the easy way?  You can say that the planting of new trees is good and I will not argue that but you cannot plant a 30 year old tree that gives the sense of history and the illusion of age.  I look forward to the new area on the lake and hope that they throw the adults a bone.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 15, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »
SDC has marketed this new area for "ages 3-93." once again with the #3 being used. hmmm  ???

If it truly is for all ages, what will the grandparents be doing here? The concept art doesn't show any shops, restaurant or crafts.

That's my constructive criticism. Only because they are using the age range as wide as they are.

I love the thematics of the area, and once again, I think it is a major improvement over GG.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:12:05 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 15, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »
So you suggest that parents will be waiting in restaurants and shops while their 7-10 year olds ride the rides and run the place?  That's a scary thought.  Ii'd rather have an area that makes the parents pay attention to what is going on instead of shopping or eating.  We have taught our children to be responsible but I would never let them run around an area that large unsupervised.  The plan they have will keep parents attention where it should be...the kids.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 15, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
What I am saying is, there is no 'interaction' with the grandparents and kids (other than just watching). For instant, they cant ride on the small kiddie rides, and I just cant see them rocketing up 8 stories either. If it truly is for ages up to "93" there should be things that they could do as well. I wasn't implying that they should go into the restaurant or shops without the kids, but the kids would be joining them. A "family" style ride would be the Flooded Mine, that would be what I would consider someone "ages 9-93" could ride.

Basically I love the area, I think it's great, I have said that several times...I think it's a great addition, and I love the thematics. I'm just saying it is marketed odd with the "9-93" statement.  
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Mountain Man

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
SDC has marketed this new area for "ages 3-93." once again with the #3 being used. hmmm  ???

If it truly is for all ages, what will the grandparents be doing here? The concept art doesn't show any shops, restaurant or crafts.

That's my constructive criticism. Only because they are using the age range as wide as they are.

I love the thematics of the area, and once again, I think it is a major improvement over GG.

Thats what i'm saying.  GE at least had a few rides that would interest everyone.  The giant swing my 80 year old mother in-law loves. It would be nice if the new area had something new and family related. I like the idea of a place to eat.  Maybe a firehouse setting.  The kids could be served a meal in a fire helmet that they could enjoy wearing after their meal as a nice gift.  A nice coffee shop for adults to hangout and relax would be nice. It would also be cool for an interactive fire fighter building.  A place the kids could have water cannons to put out a mock building that actually has fire coming out of it.  That would be something original and cool.  Have some buildings that look like they have smoke coming out of it every once in awhile.  Things like that.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 15, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »

What is the fire wagon that is parked in front of the new building? Will it be the same one that is currently on the main square? What will happen to the classic fire station structure that has been on the main square for so long? I'm hoping they keep it in place, it's a classic piece of old Herschend charm in the heart of the city. They can build a new fire wagon for FL.

I'm not sure what they have parked in front of the new building, but maybe this is why it is called Fire Station 3? Fire Station Structure on main is #1 and Fire in the Hole #2?

Jay
[/quote]

I sure hope so! I always look forward to seeing that on Main Street.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 15, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
The fact that there's more to do than coasters is usually the only way I can convince people to even take a look at going to SDC. People my age group don't necessarily like the Six Flags experience any more than you. SDC has done virtually nothing but focus on rides since 2001, so there's plenty for everyone to do.

Shave, the above comment reminded me of the very first time I visited SDC.  We brought our church youth group thinking that they would really go for the thrill rides like Wildfire which had just opened at the time.  The funny thing was that they spent most of their time (especially a couple of the boys) visiting the shops.  It's a good reminder that it's not a good idea to pigeonhole demographic groups. 

I, on the other hand, wouldn't have gotten within a mile of a ride like Wildfire at the time, but a year or two later rode TNT and that gave me the courage to try Wildfire, and I was hooked.  So now, at 54, I love the thrill rides, the dark rides and the craftsmen & shops.  About the only thing I miss about a park like Disneyland is the dark rides with the amazing special effects and theming like the Haunted House. 

Of course I'm disappointed there's not going to be another amazing thrill ride with this addition, but I love the theming and think it's a big improvement over GG.  Looking forward to being in the city tomorrow night and getting my first ride on Outlaw Run!   ;D

I don't usually have much to say about the rides, but your post about a haunted dark ride got me to thinking: Wouldn't it be cool to have a haunted ride that incorporated something like the "haint" in Mutton Hollow - you know, the one in the Shepherd of the Hills play?  Now, that would be in theme and VERY COOL appealing to a large diverse age group.   ;D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 15, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
Omygoodness yall........its been AGES since I have had time to write anything but smarty pants papers. I am in the senior year of getting my degree and its off to Doctorates school!!! So forgive me for being so quiet. I have been watching and reading. I hope I haven't been forgotten. So as for the new addition.....

I for one am looking forward to it. I couldn't believe it had been 20 years since GG opened!!! And despite complaints that I have seen GG was showing its age. Sure it has a lot of memories. So did Huck Finns Hide Away and Rube Dugans Diving Bell. It was those memories that have us coming back year after year and the new area will give the new generation reason to come back year after year. I am dern excited that they kept some of the elements from GG and yet are adding to as well. While my son has grown to enjoy all but Wildfire there is a whole slew of kids who will be able to enjoy more now. I am looking at the sunny side of this project. New rides my whole family can enjoy instead of one parent going then the other going with child. The splash pad will be great to play in. Looking forward to seeing the firemans obstacle course they touted. Not so sure about the wagon ride (crazy bus) Seems lame but they cant all be winners.....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #823 on: August 15, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised by the double shot. It may be small, but it is a forceful and fun ride for all ages. It was pretty much my favorite ride at CC after the Wildcat and Jack Rabbit.

HeyWheatBread

• Ozarkian Daredevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 15, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
I'm glad to hear that the S&S Tower will be running the Double Shot program!
Makes it that much more appealing for me!  I'm a married 29-year-old with no kids, but I'm still looking forward to cooling off in the splash pads and enjoying the revamping of that area!  ;D
Official Member of the Society of Ozarkian Daredevilry