Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384205 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #765 on: August 13, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Glad to see everyones comments and thanks Swoosh for the report. As for me, I am OK at this point with what I see. It appears it will be well themed, and in keeping with the rest of the park. Good to see them recycle a few old favorites, and add a few new things. I belive the blend will work well. I know my youngest grandkids will like the little folks rides, the foam balls, and splash area. I give it a THUMBS UP at this point.Now the serious guessing about the next project can begin! Ha!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #766 on: August 13, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
I'm going to try to answer some of the questions / comment on some concerns...

The artwork seems to indicate a pathway going toward the tracks on the far side of the area near the "junior fire escape". Do we have any reason to believe that at some point this path could continue around Silver Lake to hook up with Wilson's Farm?

That pathway is for BOH purposes only and will replace the current one in that area. 
If and when they do expand into that area, the pathway will connect at Outlaw Run - but that is YEARS from now if at all.

The large foundations (near the train tracks) looks to be what will become Firestation #3.
It looks like it will have a smaller footprint than GG, but the same idea with the foam cannons.

It's actually larger.  It won't be as tall, but is deeper and wider.

They are actually demolishing every piece of GG for this, and pushing the area back rather than building behind the old GG structure like I was assuming.

Yes.  I thought I had confirmed that awhile ago.

Just have the repeated concern.... another? kids area?.   Or am I looking at this wrong.... is the balloon ride, the "bumpy" wagon and the "firefall" all considered adult rides? Therfore making the area a "family" area.

It is replacing a family/kids area so not sure why you are surprised.  All attractions other than the dogs, jr. drop ride and crazy bus are considered family rides.

While nothing from CC is in the addition, I see at least two existing rides.

The S&S Shot Tower and Jr. Swings ride are both from Celebration City
The Crazy Bus is from Wild Adventures (rethemed now)
The Balloon Chase is returning to the park with new fiberglass shells
The Bounce-A-Round is new
The Jr. Drop Ride was bought from another park (rethemed now) but I am unsure what park

I like the new concept, but why did GG have to go away for this to happen? Modern amusement park design is starting to go the way of the city park.

Geyser Gulch had to go because it was in need of a major renovation and due to new ADA rules in the state it was cheaper (and easier) to just completely start from scratch.  The grading of the area will be more flat and/or gradual.  There will no longer be any additional "levels" that would require lifts.  All queue areas will be up to ADA standards.  AND if you think that the design of this area is MODERN AMUSEMENT PARK, you need to visit the other parks in the area.  This is well and above anything present at those parks.  This is a highly themed and quality designed area.

Need a train depot there.

While it doesn't seem like it, it is too close to the current station.

I seriously had not been in Geyser Gulch since the late 00's (when Splash Harbor was still back there), but my memory tells me there was a bathroom building in the back corner?

The restroom remains from Geyser Gulch / Splash Harbor.  It will receive a new facade to correspond to the new area.

The Balloons aren't the existing ones from Tom Sawyers Landing?

Yes, these are the same (well at least the hardware is) the fiberglass shells are all new

This area should have lots of water shooting out. Not just a small splash pad area.

The water splash area will be very similar in design to what is in Flik's Fun Fair at Disney California Adventure.  There will be "hoses" that go overhead that squirt and many other activities.  While there will not be water cannons to shoot targets, there might be interactive elements that you can squirt people with.

And speaking of Dalmatians, when it said meet resident Dalmatian I was thinking of the real dog from Fire in the Hole, but if you look at the renderings, there is a costumed character.....

The resident dalmatian (Jazz) resides at Fire in the Hole

It will look great.  I notice all of the lines for the rides appear to be lakeside.  The general appearance looks great, but needs to be "weathered".  The Greedy structure looks to be gone from the lake, but there is a big FL badge in that location in case it is to stay and be repainted.  Then there is that romantic gazebo structure to sit under for some shade, which will be needed greatly with there being no career trees left in the area.  What do you think the backside will look like from the train - steel building showing through with ladders and hoses hanging on the outside wall.

The lake will return to its "natural" state and there will be NO structures in Lake Silver anymore. 
The buildings will be themed "in the round"
Mature trees will be brought into the area much like the recent upgrades around the park

Perhaps the toy store will partially be incorporated with the firefighting merchandise.

It will receive a new facade this off season - make sure you take as many photos as you want of the barrel with Ragedy Ann and the cover with the wisteria as it will all be removed.

SWOOSH

mammalone

« Reply #767 on: August 13, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
Thanks Swoosh! Interesting stuff. Love the part about the lake going back to its natural state. It almost looks like it will be a "lake park" type of feel with the gazebo and all. I really like it.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:58 PM »
I like what I see.  The adaptive re-use of the double shot is fantastic.  I wonder if they will have it running with a slow lift and a free fall to simulate answering the bell?  There's plenty of opportunity for storytellin' here if you retrofit some fancy electronic gizmos, but it sure enough looks pretty in the pictures.  I'm for weathering too, although it wouldn't kill me either way.  It'd just be better with it, I think.  Riding dalmatians is a bit nutty too. Why not just have the kiddos riding shotgun with plastic dalmatians on fire wagons?  Now every lil' rascal that boards this ride is going to want to go home and jump on the family Fido for a ride around the living room, which is already a problem enough.  But I digress.  

I think it looks better than GG, but I don't know if it will be more liked by the GP.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 13, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
BackInTime9 & t-n-t: Nope, sorry, but your whole thought processes here just comes off as whiny and complaining, which is something I try to steer this site away from.

Please don't take my comments out of context. As I said, no one (including myself) is damning the project. I think it will fill the area beautifully. I was simply pointing out that given some of the variables and discussion in play, it fell a bit short of my hopes. I have two kids under the age of seven who will both be enjoying this area soon enough, so please don't take my opinion as disappointing or whining. I'm plenty old and open-minded enough to know that it's ridiculous to expect a thrill seekers paradise every time a new season rolls around.

It's all good. Anyone started a 2016 thread yet? :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 13, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
To those complaining about riding dalmatians... how is this any different than riding frogs and insects in the Grand Expo?
SWOOSH

Hollwood

« Reply #771 on: August 13, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
I totally nailed the Crazy Bus... Just saying.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 13, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »
To those complaining about riding dalmatians... how is this any different than riding frogs and insects in the Grand Expo?

I think this works much better....I mean, when you were a kid who didn't try to ride on the back of the family dog?

Jay

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 13, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
I totally nailed the double tower I just went in the wrong direction (I went bigger they went smaller). Also is the large tower coming out of the top of a building? Or am I just seeing things wrong.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
 Perhaps the new splash pads and water hoses can help you out with that.  Just enjoy that fact that we got an announcement today and that they didn't make us wait until November, which they have been known to do. 

Frankly, I'm excited about the new addition.  This will give my little one more rides she can ride and my bigger kids will enjoy it as well.  I think it will be a great way to incorporate some new rides and I truly hope they so something good with the area for toddlers. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:37:21 PM by rubedugans »

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #775 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »
Hey I dig it. My vote was for the old Fireworks factory but thats ok.
The area looks beautiful though & it will be a great adornment to Lake Silver.

Here's my thought though. Will it add or take away interest in FITH. Since there is a new Fireman theme going on will they put any of that love into Fire station No.1
No one has talked about the impact it may or may not have on it.

.....& for goodness sake Where is Fire Station No.2 ??? ;)
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »
Burned down due to the lack of volunteer fire fighters to put the fire out?   So many possibilities!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
Is it #3 because this is the 3rd retheme of that area of the park?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #778 on: August 13, 2014, 10:10:58 PM »
Is it #3 because this is the 3rd retheme of that area of the park?

What do you mean, Swoosh?  

It was nothing but lake bank, then it was GG, and now it will be FL.  This is only the second theme in there.  The Greedy Brothers loaded on the other side by LR.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:11:44 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 13, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
Not only should we not expect a new big "thrill" coaster ride every year, personally I do not even WANT that.  This park is about more than new thrill rides and I don't want the PTB to forget that.

All I care about is the actual theme of the new place.  And I don't mean the overall theme: the fireman's landing thing is good, but I'm more concerned with the meat and potatoes.  What is it actually going to LOOK like?  It needs to be themed more than just the name and concept alone.  Is it going to look like something from 2015 or like something from the 1880s?  I realize it is going to look new because it is, but I hope it at least looks "weathered" and is done in a way the historic park was done.  Hard to explain I guess.

It is an upgrade.  I'll withhold further judgement until I can see it.

And to those wondering about all the "kids" places, I will say this.  I still think there are more places for adults in the park.  And you also need to realize that smart business is to provide memories for children, who will in turn come back when they are adults to bring their kids.  Like most of us on this board.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.