Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384388 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #750 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »
Pretty much underwhelmed as I thought I would be. We knew most of this before so I was not expecting much. I know this is replacing a kids area, but how many kids areas do they really need? If you really look at it, why would putting in used rides from a place (CC) that was a failure be considered a smart move ? hopefully better things are on the horizon.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 13, 2014, 01:28:36 PM »
Pretty much underwhelmed as I thought I would be. We knew most of this before so I was not expecting much. I know this is replacing a kids area, but how many kids areas do they really need? If you really look at it, why would putting in used rides from a place (CC) that was a failure be considered a smart move ? hopefully better things are on the horizon.

Why can't you have more than one kids area?

Just because CC closed doesn't mean that some of the rides they had there were good. Would it be better if they bought a new shot tower, for example?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #752 on: August 13, 2014, 01:30:55 PM »
They need several "kids" areas. In fact, they could use another one after this one on the other side of the park. It's over half their audience when you consider that most parents are there for their kids (until they realize how much else the park has in store at least).  Also, the fact that CC "failed" has nothing to do with these rides, I don't understand your point at all.

The Baloons arent the existing ones from Tom Sawyers Landing?
I call the Swings from HH existing as they have been at SDC for a while.

Ah, I see. The Balloons do seem to be the originals that were taken out around 2008, and the kiddie swings are indeed 'existing' even though they are not currently in the park (they were originally at CC). The shot tower is from CC, the Fire Wagon (Zamperla Crazy Bus) is from WA. I think the kiddie tower and dalmatians are new?

I still don't see the point of moving the kiddie swings, but I hope they put something in their original space in HDH. I can't believe they are leaving a scar like that in one of the most beautiful areas of the park.

I do plan to nit-pick the area later when I have more time to look it over, but all-in-all, it's clear SDC has made a clear progression since 2006 when the old ways seemed to break down and they were acting like it was time to turn the place into Six Flags over SDC. For whatever minor quibbles or things we would do differently, you can't deny that this is a well thought out plan that balances a lot of different issues from a lot of different types of visitors.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 13, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
Looks good to me. As a father of six, I think it is a great replacement for Geyser Gulch.  It keeps some of the activities that people loved about GG (Giant playhouse, shooting foam balls, etc.) while adding a whole new theme.    As a Dad I want more rides that I can ride with my kids.  From a $$ perspective, surveys have shown that in most families Mom's control the vacation $$ and most Mom's will love this area.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 13, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
It looks like the old fire wagon on the square will be by the front door of the new firehouse.  Or am I just seeing things.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #755 on: August 13, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
It will look great.  I notice all of the lines for the rides appear to be lakeside.  The general appearance looks great, but needs to be "weathered".  The Greedy structure looks to be gone from the lake, but there is a big FL badge in that location in case it is to stay and be repainted.  Then there is that romantic gazebo structure to sit under for some shade, which will be needed greatly with there being no career trees left in the area.  What do you think the backside will look like from the train - steel building showing through with ladders and hoses hanging on the outside wall.

I do wish the "plastic" dalmations had been placed more out of the way, but it will still look better than the pinks and purples (garish) of GG, which I have disliked since the very beginning.

How 'bout those balls being enclosed more and more accessible during rainstorms?  I wonder if it will look anything like the weird waiting area for the new Dumbo rides at Disney World.  As a parent of a four-year-old, I despise those areas where I have to chase down my boy and drag him screaming out of an area like that.  On the other hand, maybe that's how the original siren was invented.

Of note, as well, is the fact that there are no upcharge games or activities in the renderings.  They probably know how much we hate those, and decided not to include them in the concept art.  They also do not show any shops or concessions, which I assume will appear in the form of wagons/kiosks (standard slushies, face painting, dippin dots, etc.).  Perhaps the toy store will partially be incorporated with the firefighting merchandise.

Now, envision the whole thing dripping with Christmas lights.  I still want a five-alarm chili wagon - especially for the cold season.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 13, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
Shave, I'm not sure why you are surprised at some of the reactions (including my own).

I don't believe you'll find anyone damning the addition. It goes without saying there is value in this update, many times over. However, from a development standpoint, you also have to weigh this at face value. While yes, this area will cater to a broad demographic, it lacks the cache many expect when the tease of any major announcement lingers with speculation for months. Regardless of the variables we are certain about going into said announcement. And that's great marketing, by the way.

Two other points. There have always been mixed reviews and complaints with how GE came to fruition. I would equate this to somewhat of a sister area to that based on the offerings and its target demographic. That by nature leaves the door wide open for constructive criticism. Secondly, while we cannot expect a coaster project or true thrill ride every season, there has been legitimate speculation around a coaster potentially gracing this area since the WB was removed a long time ago.

From a buzz perspective, this is a lot like the St. Louis Rams holding the number one pick on NFL Draft Day. Many fans are always hoping for the flashy pick. The stud QB, or WR oozing with PR value. Instead, they opt for an offensive lineman. Is it sexy? Not at all. But the intent is to fill a void that could continue to strengthen the core of the franchise.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective. I don't believe anyone doubts this will be done well, and amuse many. I just think a good number of us were hoping for that extra twist to really keep us talking for the days, weeks and months to come.   

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 13, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
Sorry Shave, not everyone has to have the same exact giddy thoughts as you. I was explaining why I'm disappointed, that's just my singular opinion. If you like it, great, I'm sure it'll do wonderfully but I don't have to like everything sdc does I'd I don't want too.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 13, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »
Shave, I'm not sure why you are surprised at some of the reactions (including my own).

I don't believe you'll find anyone damning the addition. It goes without saying there is value in this update, many times over. However, from a development standpoint, you also have to weigh this at face value. While yes, this area will cater to a broad demographic, it lacks the cache many expect when the tease of any major announcement lingers with speculation for months. Regardless of the variables we are certain about going into said announcement. And that's great marketing, by the way.

Two other points. There have always been mixed reviews and complaints with how GE came to fruition. I would equate this to somewhat of a sister area to that based on the offerings and its target demographic. That by nature leaves the door wide open for constructive criticism. Secondly, while we cannot expect a coaster project or true thrill ride every season, there has been legitimate speculation around a coaster potentially gracing this area since the WB was removed a long time ago.

From a buzz perspective, this is a lot like the St. Louis Rams holding the number one pick on NFL Draft Day. Many fans are always hoping for the flashy pick. The stud QB, or WR oozing with PR value. Instead, they opt for an offensive lineman. Is it sexy? Not at all. But the intent is to fill a void that could continue to strengthen the core of the franchise.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective. I don't believe anyone doubts this will be done well, and amuse many. I just think a good number of us were hoping for that extra twist to really keep us talking for the days, weeks and months to come.   

With the exception of short span of Wild Eagle and Firechaser at Dollywood, I don't think there has ever been two coasters added in a three year span at a HFE park. I still think a coaster can fit in the Waterboggin tower area just not a large footprint B&M and that's fine. I saw the Hershey announcement for a indoor, funhouse themed spinner yesterday. I still think that's a great idea on the old Ice House idea plus it's our of the elements for better use during OTC and chilly and rainy days in the Spring. I'd love to see more indoor attractions for that reason as SDC seems to inching closer to nearly year round operations, well at least on weekends. A resort with indoor activities could really lead to that.

Cowboy, your thoughts on the lack of other smaller attractions around Wilson Farm is why I threw those ideas in on my post on the 5 year plan thread, those are easy fixes.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 13, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »
Shave is not giddy, but he's not surprised like some people seem to be.  He's just saying was kind of a non-event considering we've been talking about it all this time.  We're all going to be impressed with the investment, and at the very least there will be some photo spots in the area.  It's OK to be unexcited, but if we've been here for any time at all, this wasn't a surprise.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #760 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
BackInTime9 & t-n-t: Nope, sorry, but your whole thought processes here just comes off as whiny and complaining, which is something I try to steer this site away from. I balk at the word "disappointing" because the park has shown effort through developments like this to respond to some of the criticism from the peanut gallery on this site and others. Sure, this development might not be right up your alley, but if you are "disappointed" that they didn't sneak in another $10 million coaster on top of all this then nothing can be done for you. We want the PTB to give us a little credit now and then and not look at us as a community of hopeless complainers.

BackInTime9, I think I understand where you are coming from, but the speculation that has lasted for months has been primarily due to this very site where we track developments like these, big or small, for years at a time. Outlaw Run was a particularly exciting and rewarding development to watch, but they're not all like that. Most of the time we get mostly what we expect by the time it's all said and done. There have been a few coaster rumors over the years for this area, but none of them have been active anytime recently unless you are talking about 2016 and beyond.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:14:34 PM by shavethewhales »

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 13, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
I agree Shave, I believe the lack of excitement for this for some is due mostly because we have been tracking this area for so long on this thread. More or less, it is pretty much what I thought it was going to be. If I was not a member of this site, I would be even more wow'd by the announcement, because there wouldn't have been so much build up. The 'average' person only had to wait about a month, from when SDC 1st went public on facebook about GG closing.

I for one like the new development. Personally, Im mostly excited about the return of the Balloon Chase, because it held so much emotional attachment for me. While I love roller coasters, I don't need to see a new one every single year. Keep this in mind too, all these rides means shorter wait times at some of the others throughout the park.

More thoughts...
People wanted the splash pads....looks like they are staying, or possibly even making it larger.
People loved the ball cannons in GG...well those are coming back too.

Overall, it will be a good addition to the park.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:34:31 PM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 13, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
People wanted the splash pads....looks like they are staying, or possibly even making it larger.

Looks like it.  Pay attention to all the splashing behind the entrance.  The squiggles in the concept map must be the static hoses in this picture:

That will be much more meaningful theming than a random ball toss and splash pad just for the sake of having them.  The attraction is not for me, but I can certainly appreciate the look.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 13, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »

Looks like it.  Pay attention to all the splashing behind the entrance.  The squiggles in the concept map must be the static hoses in this picture:

That will be much more meaningful theming than a random ball toss and splash pad just for the sake of having them.  The attraction is not for me, but I can certainly appreciate the look.

Agree completly! For me, theming is #1 and should be the most important; no mater what the ride or attraction might be.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #764 on: August 13, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »
Here is MidwestInfoGuide's write up on the new area with press release and concept art.
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/new/silver/

SWOOSH