Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 386672 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #735 on: August 13, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »
While nothing from CC is in the addition, I see at least two existing rides.

I have been reading on this forum for a long time, and just registered to add my thoughts.

I like the new concept, but why did GG have to go away for this to happen? Modern amusement park design is starting to go the way of the city park.

Now, instead of my son expressing his freedom to run around and play, he will be shoehorned into a smaller space, or have to  wait in line for a ride that is a lot like the rides everywhere else.

Two of the rides are actually from CC. Nothing is existing, but the basic functions of GG are being replicated while also adding the rides. I don't think your comment about 'modern amusement park design' is valid here, not much is changing functionality-wise from GG. It will make more sense to you when you see it in person.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »
I seriously had not been in Geyser Gulch since the late 00's (when Splash Harbor was still back there), but my memory tells me there was a bathroom building in the back corner?
1) Am I totally looney?
2) Was it taken out or left when SH was taken out?
3) Is that possibly the building next to #8 "Up the Ladder" ?
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

jstein4507

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 13, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
The Baloons arent the existing ones from Tom Sawyers Landing?
I call the Swings from HH existing as they have been at SDC for a while.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #738 on: August 13, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »

Just have the repeated concern.... another? kids area?.   Or am I looking at this wrong.... is the balloon ride, the "bumpy" wagon and the "firefall" all considered adult rides? Therfore making the area a "family" area.

Lol, this is replacing Geyser Gulch, of course it's a family area, what else would it be?

And in response to the question of what will happen to HDH from earlier, why shouldn't the park have two toddler areas? Just because one is bigger and new than the other doesn't make them any less useful for young parents. HDH is still a great little area that contributes to the fabric of the park and small kids really love.

I'm just surprised so many people on here and other forums were expecting a coaster or thrill rides. Hasn't anyone else been watching this site? It's all been here for months.  ::)

jstein4507

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
It looks like the restrooms that are still there could be considered the "existing" anchor of the design.
I dont think there is room behind the new landing for a coaster...

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 13, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
For myself, I'm a little, if not a lot, disappointed.  Granted, it's just my wife and I with no kids and no kids in the future so of course, this doesn't really appeal to me too much.  With that said, I think it'll be a great addition to the park for family and younger ones.  I'm looking forward to see what it looks like when it's finished and opened next year but I just can't get that excited.  The only real thrill is the 8 story drop but even that doesn't illicit feelings of grand excitement.  I'm sure it'll look great and be a fun place.  

Also, am pretty stoked about the Harlem Globetrotters.  I forgot they are part of the family now so it makes sense to bring that type of family entertainment to a family friendly park.  Am very much looking forward to that.

I think they tried to hype it up too much and just didn't succeed.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
The Baloons arent the existing ones from Tom Sawyers Landing?
I call the Swings from HH existing as they have been at SDC for a while.
It's my understanding from earlier in this topic that yes, the balloons are a re-painted Balloon Chase formerly at Tom Sawyers'. And the swings were indeed taken from HDH earlier this season. And the shot tower is repaint job on the one from CC.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

jstein4507

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 13, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
I am disappointed as well. This area should have lots of water shooting out. Not just a small splash pad area.
I wonder if the "interactive" areas will result the same as Wilsons Farm, and being more inactive.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
I wonder if the "interactive" areas will result the same as Wilsons Farm, and being more inactive.

I don't think you can compare this and Wilson's Farm. At WF there's a cow (that doesn't work) and a frog race?  This is a whole playhouse that I can only assume is along the lines of what they're taking out of GG. I think it will be just as active as GG ever was.

I don't have kids, so I won't be using this area of the park that much, but GG needed some love.  And I'll do a couple of the attractions (Fire Spotter and FireFall) at least a time or two.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #744 on: August 13, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would be disappointed with this. They are rebuilding an area aimed at younger kids. Anyone going to the park just for rides should be grateful they've also included an S&S double shot to round it out.

Not every addition is about roller coasters and thrill rides. I'm gobsmacked we're having these kinds of comments on this site of all places.

mammalone

« Reply #745 on: August 13, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
I agree with Shave. I mean, this is coming on the heels of a major thrill ride attraction just last year. This was needed for the younger crowd and families, so that when (hopefully) they announce plans for a new coaster next year everyone will be happy. The shot tower is going to have huge lines though.

Graybeard

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »
It is families with lots of kids that don't have season passes and buy lots of food that keep the park open.  SDC would be bankrupt in a year if all it had to depend on was season pass holders that spend very little in the park.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 13, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »
I like how it was put together. I was worried how the balloons would fit into a fireman's theme, but I can buy the idea of the fire spotting balloons. Also I was worried that they would have a fire truck ride like was shown in the concept drawings, but that was replaced with a Dalmatian ride. The Crazy Bus fits okay, and so does the S&S tower......not quite sure about the kid swing though (I thought they could somehow make it like a bucket brigade). But over all, it will look and feel much more part of a City than the old GG area. This is definitely an improvement.

And speaking of Dalmatians, when it said meet resident Dalmatian I was thinking of the real dog from Fire in the Hole, but if you look at the renderings, there is a costumed character.....

I also like the idea that most of this is family rides. Something that Wilson's Farm and Outlaw run is missing badly. This last weekend was the first time I had gone to the park with a wide age range of family members (4 to 62)....and the Wilson Farm part of the park is really missing something for the kids to do while waiting for everyone else to get off the big rides (high low silos doesn't quite meet the need). This new area doesn't really have the big ride scale of Barn Swing or Outlaw, but the whole family can do something here. Very nice.

Jay

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 13, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »
Also, am pretty stoked about the Harlem Globetrotters.  I forgot they are part of the family now so it makes sense to bring that type of family entertainment to a family friendly park.  Am very much looking forward to that.

There isn't much on their website that I can find about the Globetrotters, but the email says, "...the world-famous Harlem Globetrotters join us for SDC's Star-Spangled Summer! For six straight weeks you'll enjoy slam-dunk hit entertainment showcasing highlights from the Globetrotters' one-of-a-kind touring show."

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 13, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
:) just saw the announcement. As a father if three young girls I'm sooooooooo excited.  This looks outstanding to me