Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384298 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #660 on: August 10, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
So, it only seems logical (and appropriate) that a future coaster would anchor this overhauled area. That entire side of the park lacks any true thrill ride. The closest things to it are the electrospin in GE and TNT, which is closer to the entrance than that back corner of the park. I personally hope they choose to place a legitimate coaster in the old GG area in the seasons to come. All that said, Swoosh mentioned an area between WF and PK in an earlier post. Does anyone have any insight on this particular spot? Are we talking something already fenced off and/or staked for future development? Maybe that belongs in an entirely new thread, just curious.

Unless we're talking about another major coaster project, I'm not sure how much I love the idea of throwing another coaster in a section of the park where three coasters already reside. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Sounds like there is going to be a big shindig on Wednesday for the announcement.  I unfortunately will not be there to cover it as I will be at school getting "educated" during our pre-school year professional development sessions.  Anyone able to go? 
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2014, 04:30:38 PM »
I kind of like how SDC has all their thrill rides near each other so I don't have to walk all over the park to get a ride on every roller coaster. I also think it's nice having the thrill rides and kids rides in different areas because then you don't have everyone in the same area. The kids and families are all on one side of the park while thrill-seekers are on the other side.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #663 on: August 10, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
So, it only seems logical (and appropriate) that a future coaster would anchor this overhauled area.

This sounds more like Six Flags thinking than SDC thinking. Just because there's a new/revitalized area of the park doesn't mean a coaster is need to "anchor" it. Coasters are great, I love em, but we're always talking about how SDC is so much more than just another theme park. Here's hoping they push the boundaries of our expectations with new ideas, concepts, and experiences rather than only focusing on the same base attractions that every other park has. To be fair, they do pick a lot of innovative new designs, but there's still more to a park than coasters.

That said though, I expect a coaster in or near this area within three years. I think it's either going to be something from B&M (more than likely a launched wing coaster), or a family launched coaster similar to Firechaser. I don't think they'll ever try to squeeze another coaster between PK and Wildfire, but I do expect AP to be re-created or replaced with a new water ride somehow within the next 5-7 years.

Getting back to this addition though: 3 days! Get your final guesses/predictions in now!

Hollwood

« Reply #664 on: August 10, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
I think a wing coaster is to bulky for our city. It has a cramped feel (this is a good thing) with all the natural beauty and I feel making room for a wing coaster would destroy it. Wildfire took out too much IMO, but it's on the edge of the park so it does not hurt too much. I would like to see random rides throughout the park without new areas. Rides that seem to just fit into nooks and crannies and seem "natural." Fireman's landing will look great, and I am excited to see that corner of the park reborn.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 10, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
This sounds more like Six Flags thinking than SDC thinking. Just because there's a new/revitalized area of the park doesn't mean a coaster is need to "anchor" it.

Yeah about that...

Inventor's Workshop Area - Wildfire
Marvel Mining Company - PowderKeg
Wilson's Farm - Outlaw Run
Grand Expo - Grand Expo Coaster (while a little bit of a stretch, it is STILL a coaster)

So, you were saying?

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #666 on: August 10, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »
^Yes, those are all recent expansions that have been made during a time when the Herschend's original vision has been seemingly more and more ignored in favor of competing with Worlds of Fun rather than creating a unique and higher standard. Think about the Land of Forgotten Crafts, Shantytown, Geyser Gulch, etc. My point was that instead of approaching every area like it "needs" a certain number of rides, they should be approached as needing a certain level of experiences. Coasters can provide that, but there are other ideas out there too that could be explored. It's just lazy development to throw rides everywhere.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:21:41 PM by shavethewhales »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 10, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
we have a launched coaster already, finicky booger, but it rocks when operating.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #668 on: August 10, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
So, it only seems logical (and appropriate) that a future coaster would anchor this overhauled area.

That said though, I expect a coaster in or near this area within three years. I think it's either going to be something from B&M (more than likely a launched wing coaster), or a family launched coaster similar to Firechaser.

I think a launched wing coaster would be interesting. Also, a launched wing coaster would be something that you can't find at more than a few parks - like most of SDC's rides and attractions.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
Back to the comment Swoosh made about riding the big one or the small one first maybe along with bringing the shot tower from CC they are also going to build a new one that's bigger??
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #670 on: August 10, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »
The shot tower will not be a "destination" ride.  It's OK for a little kid thrill, but this one is very small.  The only thing that's going to make this interesting is the theming, theming, theming.

The best thing you said though, shave, is "experiences"!  That's hitting the nail on the head.  Appearing scattered and random is better than appearing meticulously planned and manicured.  And experiences does not always have to be translated as coaster.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »
There will only be one S&S tower here, but you are thinking along the right lines.

The tower is now brown by the way.  All I can think of when I see it is "if it's brown, it must go down". Dear Lord I need help. lol
SWOOSH

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
There will only be one S&S tower here, but you are thinking along the right lines.

The tower is now brown by the way.  All I can think of when I see it is "if it's brown, it must go down". Dear Lord I need help. lol

So maybe instead of starting the ride at the bottom, and shooting to the top..somehow a structure will be built around it where it is hidden. Riders will load at the top, then drop down (as if they were a fireman going down the pole).

Or....I could be completly wrong. But that's my guess/speculation
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #673 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »

Do you mean here as in the park or in the new area? Will they have the smaller tower in the new area and a bigger one somewhere else in the park?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »

Do you mean here as in the park or in the new area? Will they have the smaller tower in the new area and a bigger one somewhere else in the park?

Wasn't there a rumor of a "frog hopper" being one of the attractions? So the S&S tower be the big version and the frog hopper the smaller version?

Just a couple more days...

Jay