Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384422 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
With the pattern of things, I'd say that's a given.   :-[
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 29, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
I mean it's not like you dont see the wet tshirt effect from mommas(and some dudes) of all shapes and sizes on those other rides and heaven forbid the immoral wind chills them. And... I agree about tank tops and muscle shirts on dudes. Leave the wifebeaters in the suitcase.

Hey, water ain't free you know.  ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #557 on: July 29, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »
Response to posts above:

1. The shot tower is now brown.  It sounds like it will be pretty hidden towards the back of the new area (not towards the bathroom - towards the tracks) and utilize the tree cover that is still there so that it will be hid from the main midway

2. Swim suits at SDC are not allowed but I have seen them all over the park.  What I was told, is that when it is exceptionally warm, it isn't enforced as much walking around but in order to ride or enter an attraction, they must have proper attire.  This is the same at WOF and SFStL.  At WOF and SFStL, people entering the park from the waterpark must have shirt and shoes in order to ride attractions.

3.  Been trying to address some of the issues that the crazed parents are bringing up on the Facebook page.  Some of them are taking it to the extreme.  The 13th cannot get here soon enough to curb their anxiety.

SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 29, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
Swoosh you are soooo right about the 13th...  some of the people out there are going NUTS :o :o :o, thinking the whole area is going to be gone, with nothing replacing it...

Sometimes little panics get humorous...... BUT not in this case... people of all ages are way overreacting.....

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
Those be some of them uninformed voters we often hear about.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »

Sometimes little panics get humorous...... BUT not in this case... people of all ages are way overreacting.....
What if this is their favorite attraction at SDC?  Even if they replace it with something else that is great, this particular attraction IS NOT coming back, ever.  Maybe this is their first memory of the park?  Maybe this is the place they always look forward to going to?
I seem to recall a lot of people on here who still complain that the float trip is now part of AP instead of just being by itself, and others yet wishing guns were not a part of the flooded mine.  We don't say they are "way overreacting".

I can't believe I'm defending this since this attraction is not for me, but I also think it's a little weird to be THAT surprised that there are people out there who are not happy about this.  What would you do if SDC took away your favorite attraction, even if they promised to replace it with something *better*?
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 30, 2014, 04:54:13 AM »
Change is going to happen, like it or not. You will always have fond memories of what is taken away.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #562 on: July 30, 2014, 06:13:56 AM »

We don't say they are "way overreacting".

I do.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 30, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »
They are overreacting, since they think SDC will have nothing for families with young children.  They ignore that SDC has spent millions on HDH and GE and millions more here.  I read their comments, and they are prematurely overreacting.  I think it is a commentary on people's impatience and propensity for angrily jumping on people when they are online.

What they are wrong about is that SDC is not abandoning the young kids; they may be slowly drifting away from having features for their oldest guests though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:53:54 AM by History Buff »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
""[ they may be slowly drifting away from having features for their oldest guests though.""""

AND that History Buff is my concern.......

I am NOT seriously complaining here now,,,  just making a "observation"..... 

Except for coasters...(which I don't ride)...  what are the teens, early 20's, maybe 30's supposed to do.......??  Few of them enjoy the craftsmen...  too young to enjoy just walk and enjoy the scenery, the asphalt smell ( ;)) and the peace and quiet....

There are/will be 3 large areas now for youngsters to play... HDH, GE, GG?

I am hoping the new "GG", is maybe pointed toward both young kids, and the teenager/20's group...

Either way wont effect me, BUT we need to keep the city alive and well.... :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #565 on: July 30, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
what are the teens, early 20's, maybe 30's supposed to do.......??  Few of them enjoy the craftsmen...  too young to enjoy just walk and enjoy the scenery, the asphalt smell ( ;)) and the peace and quiet....

Speak for yourself. The fact that there's more to do than coasters is usually the only way I can convince people to even take a look at going to SDC. People my age group don't necessarily like the Six Flags experience any more than you. SDC has done virtually nothing but focus on rides since 2001, so there's plenty for everyone to do.

Fireman's Landing will be and should be for kids.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
But what about us old fogies ?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
well, for myself I am 55 and still go for the rides coasters and all. Been going since late 60's. I actually believe there is enough for everyone and they have done a good job with the mix of things. I personally would prefer more thrill rides and am not to excited about the new expansion at all, but if they are taking away a popular kiddie area it makes sense to replace it with a similar type experience. I know a lot of people miss a lot of the crafts  which I do not enjoy at all ( with the exception of the knife shop), but i am sure glad they are there for those who do. A lot of people hate Midnight madness, but I would love to try it out just to get a new experience. I also think most of the shows are geared to the older groups. Not much there for us who are old rockers or younger teens and Millennials. It all boils down to what Junior said. Things will change and for the most part they are doing a good job with the mix of things. The park has to attract a wide range to stay competitive in today's market.   

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »
""[ they may be slowly drifting away from having features for their oldest guests though.""""

AND that History Buff is my concern.......

I am NOT seriously complaining here now,,,  just making a "observation"..... 

Except for coasters...(which I don't ride)...  what are the teens, early 20's, maybe 30's supposed to do.......??  Few of them enjoy the craftsmen...  too young to enjoy just walk and enjoy the scenery, the asphalt smell ( ;)) and the peace and quiet....

There are/will be 3 large areas now for youngsters to play... HDH, GE, GG?

I am hoping the new "GG", is maybe pointed toward both young kids, and the teenager/20's group...

Either way wont effect me, BUT we need to keep the city alive and well.... :)

This is veering off the 2015 project and into general park discussion but I'm going to run my mouth.

Ok, here it goes...

HFE  seems to try to include options for all ages with most areas they do.

Giant Swing, artwork showed it, hi lo silos, petting zoo and a small swing ride. Thats a thrill ride and other attractions for small kids and non thrill riders. The Swing didn't make it here but popped up in HDH along with the staple Carousel everyone wanted back. The hollow's rope play structure was an attempt to replace the treehouse but its a modern day insurance nuetered version, somehow Chick fil a and McDonalds can have slides but not this place. It needs expanded with a ball pit. The swings got yanked but I'm sure they will reappear. The interacive play stuff  is best left for botantic gardens and I've never been able to catch a storytelling when the kids were small enough for that. It needs more play structure with balls. A mini kiddie flume even.

The GE went with stuff for all ages. There's the little group of rides for the smallest to the disk'o . It's basically your county fair sans the tilt.a whirl, zipper, cheesy  fun house, scramber,ferris wheel and  double ferris wheel.

The cooking school was obvious for mommas and grandmommas.

Outlaw Run is the only thing that catered to just the thrill seekers. They could have enhanced that area with a couple of western themed atractions that I've mentioned before like the hub and spoke wagonwheel kiddie ferris wheel and the bull themed bumper cars. One side for small tikes and the other for big kids and adults all housed in a feed lot themed building.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 30, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
Shave...  

I said "few" meaning "some" of the younger people enjoy the city for what it is....  But unfortunately most don't/won't "get it".

I know there is a select group of younger people that do enjoy the city for what it is, and what It has to offer....

Maybe I wasn't clear on that part..No offense.