Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 386908 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #345 on: May 08, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
Strange that GE props are moving around. I'm not sure I understand the point, but it probably makes more sense when you see it in person.

Regarding the balloons rumor, we'll see. I've been told things like that for years and sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't. I think as far as the connection to the theme goes, the actual theme of the area will be unique from what was presented in the concepts, so even if the rumor is true, it doesn't necessarily mean we're getting 'Magic of Flight' as it was spelled out in the concept. It could be something related to exploration, trail blazing, etc, etc. I do like the magic of flight pitch the more I go back and look over it though. The modern-age plane ride really throws you off at fist, but assuming that is a fluke that won't make it into the actual final design, it's a good concept that fits the park well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
So did anyone get a photo of the S&S shot tower going down 76 last night?  I'm sure that was quite the sight to be seen going through all those curves.

Wait... whut?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
What Swoosh is not telling us is that the shot tower will soon be inverted to fire riders deep into a newly-discovered section of Marvel Cave.  The new room was opened up during the recent excavation of the area behind Geyser Gulch, and the engineers created a brand new theme.

The newest theme area to join the SDC family will still be based on Rube Dugan and his latest efforts to mine the lakebed - this time from underneath.  The diving bell was a distinct failure, so in a desperate effort to recoup his capital, Rube has now sped up the mining process.  His idea?  To shoot amateur mining volunteers (riders) into the mine with his new "inverted shot tunnel".

Riders will experience deep cave exploration at high speed.  This means, in the hottest of summers, they will go from 100 degrees to 60 degrees and back in mere seconds.  In the coldest of winters, riders will experience subzero to 60 degrees, effectively reversing the sensation.  The speed and suddenly temperature derivations make the old shot tower into one formidable high-thrill addition to the new Dugan Mining area at Silver Dollar City!  New for 2015.

Of course, I'm just inferring all of this based on the evidence that has been presented.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
SWOOSH

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »
Thanks for totally messing with my mind, don't know what to belive!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:31:26 PM by Junior, too! »
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
So will Rube reappear in 2015?
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
That remains to be seen.  The only thing that is NOW confirmed is that the S&S shot tower from CC is now at SDC.  Now, whether or not it actually goes into the new section... well that hasn't been confirmed yet.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2014, 09:40:06 PM »
The shot tower has gotten more attention than a new coaster on this board.  At 16 riders per whack this is not going to service a whole lot of guests per day.  I predict this to be a very anti-climactic addition to the park. Lets hope there is something more exciting besides this and the balloons.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
The shot tower has gotten more attention than a new coaster on this board.  At 16 riders per whack this is not going to service a whole lot of guests per day.  I predict this to be a very anti-climactic addition to the park. Lets hope there is something more exciting besides this and the balloons.

It's adding what is now a staple at parks and at a low cost as part of a broader package. Plus it's a people eater, taking away from longer lines at the major attractions. Besides, an S&S Shot Tower is just fun. I look at 2015 as what Grand Exposition was, building the base and more importantly, growing SDC into a two day park for most all visitors. I'm not expecting 'big time" till 2017.

Now in my fantasy world SDC would love to have double digit coasters as I think it needs two mid sized coasters that doesn't invert and the whole family would have no problem with.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »

I don't see anyone really getting their hopes up over it, but it is a very obvious expected addition to the park and has been for awhile now. It's nice, if small, and can be fit into the park well. It's not much of a crowd eater, but as part of a new area it will certainly add to the number of things to do and spread people out more.

What I'm really excited for is the Zamperla deliveries that I would think could be here by the Fall.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I don't know if this has anything to do with the project bit I just noticed the swing ride is gone from hdh
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
Here is a pic
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
wow interesting!

Usually when we cross the bridge, there is only one random kid on that ride.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
Well..that's a sore thumb. The original Giant Swing concept art had it there just to the right of the queue. Wonder if it will reappear there or down in GE by the little group of real little kid rides.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 16, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
When we were there last time I saw it and wondered if anyone ever ride it.  My 2 year old would love it but she won't be tall enough until next year to ride it.  It would be better utilized if it was in the expo toddler area and if they were able to lower the height requirement a bit.  I also noticed that hdh wasn't really busy when we were there but every place else was packed.