Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384281 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2014, 12:54:43 AM »
Does the clearing go all the way up to the water boggin tower? Is that still being held back for something else.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #301 on: April 07, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
No. and No.
SWOOSH

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »
Hello everyone! Long time, no post, but we are headed back to SDC this year after a 2 year break. I myself would really love to see a dark ride, such as Peter Pan, etc! My youngest doesn't like coasters (although we do make him ride FITH for his own good  ;) ). So he and I end up bench sitting a good portion of the day while Dad and big brother ride, or we ride Flooded Mine over and over!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »
Glad to hear from you again Mandy, and that y'all are heading back to SDC this year. I agree, I would love to see a highly themed dark ride in the works for SDC oneday.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
I fear the skyline of the new area.  I never thought that the park planted enough native trees around GE and consequently its a oven back there with little shade therefore little escape.  The new area has been all but clear cut, leaving some pines in the far back of the property.  Its my hope that SDC will realize this mistake and plant some deciduous trees like oak and maple.  They provide the best shade and cover.  I never felt the crepe myrtle and ornamental trees in GE provided necessary shade or the feel that you were in a worlds fair type setting.
Hope you get this one right guys.  Plant some trees!  Remember the story about Mary firing people for cutting down trees?  I think she was on to something.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »
I find your post humorous mhguy.  When we visited the park this last weekend, we commented on how WELL the trees had grown in at Grand Expo.  It is very shaded now.  Oh sure there are areas on the main midway that are open to the elements, but the back midway along the ElectroSpin is very well grown in. 

Also while on the subject, the family (Herschends) own a tree farm which is what they use to bring in mature trees.  They planted mature trees up around Outlaw Run too, so I wouldn't worry too much.

As far as a "clear cut" ... how does that song go?  "We've only just begun...."
SWOOSH

nemaw

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:10 PM »
As far as a "clear cut" ... how does that song go?  "We've only just begun...."

Come on Swoosh, you know you want to tell us more...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »
but the back midway along the ElectroSpin is very well grown in. 
This ride was built in and along the tree line.  I think you might refer to old trip report photos to refresh yourself.  This was not because of tree growth.  This was however done the correct way.
Unfortunately they failed to do anything in the middle of the area to provide shade even thought they did landscape. Remember however that GE was employee parking so there weren't any trees to work with. On the other hand the new family area was clear cut, saving nothing but what was on the extreme back near the tracks.  Do you think it will take 10 years for this to grow in as well?
 I enjoyed Dollywood but could not hang out in the back end of the park as they have left that area almost treeless, great rides, ugly area. Doesn't HE operate this park?

I am ok with progress but I think we all know the story about Mary the tree and the employee she fired because he cut it down.  She understood the importance of saving what was there, not removing nature  in the name of progress.  With a little effort most of the trees could be saved. And we would all be much more comfortable for it.  I am wondering if I am the only Fan that feels this way.

PS: Glad to hear they planted around OR.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:33:09 PM by mhguy77 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
A lot of the area you're looking at in the new photos hasn't been clear-cut, it's where the splashdown and the end of the slides were for the Waterboggin. I'm sure they've taken out a few trees, but it's nothing to worry over yet. They are still doing pretty well with the whole tree cover thing.

I've been pleased with how GE is growing in. The trees around the GE coaster, for example, are really maturing now and it's starting to really look like what you would expect from SDC. Now, the back row is still pretty bad, but that's already a lost cause.

Assuming what Swoosh knows is correct, it sounds like they've actually increased the size and/or scope of the project from what was presented in the concept pitches. Would you say so Swoosh? That'd be a first, usually it seems like the concepts get dumbed down at least a bit before implementation.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2014, 06:03:01 AM »
Well,to be fair, they never really came out and said how large the project was going to be in the concept art/surveys -- with that being said, I was surprised to learn just how big it was going to be.  That area is really going to look different when it is all said and done.

SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
Well,to be fair, they never really came out and said how large the project was going to be in the concept art/surveys -- with that being said, I was surprised to learn just how big it was going to be.  That area is really going to look different when it is all said and done.

Five new ride was the concept pitch with one being the shot tower at CC and a kiddie ride.  That leaves three more  and with proper queues and theming  that's at least  half of the GE area, If they work in an improved and expanded play area that GG already is, it's even more. I guess some thought this a Half Dollar sized foot print.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:36:41 PM by chittlins »

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
All I know is I'm starting to get really excited about this project whatever it is! SDC rarely disappoints!  ;D
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
Yeah, it was never going to be the size of HDH
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
I'm sure when the project is complete the area will look wonderful. Trees will grow, it will be very nice.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2014, 05:57:19 AM »
I'm busy this weekend with WOF Opening Weekend - who is on update duty instead?
SWOOSH