Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 386659 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
One of the posters on the negative-g forum claims an employee said GG will be torn down in August.

Swoosh gave you this that seems to back that up considering most of the pics are coming from GG:

2.  Visible through summer

Swoosh gave me what? I followed the link to negative-g and read the posts. If at some point Swoosh said GG was getting torn down in August I missed that. Not sure what you mean here.

It was more of a hint. I imagine, like Shave does, that torn down means reworked and rethemed.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
FTR:  I never said that GG was being torn down in August.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »

Never said you did, just that work would be visible through August. Since most of the pics are coming from the GG area, one could assume you mean GG being closed. I haven't been to SDC yet, but pics show that a wooden fence is in place along the train track so that area already has a restrictive view. If and SDC employee said it would be torn down in the summer, one could deduct that goes along with what you alluded too about it being visable. However, I don't see how they are going to block off this area well enough to prohibit folks from following the construction if they are determined to do so.

If the "visable through summer" comment doesn't imply to GG maybe you could be more clear in thought.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »
^^^
I'm thinking everything we know about the 2015 concept is about to change.  That could be a good thing.

I sure hope so. The things I here are just not that exciting to me. IE, shot tower , off the shelf flat rides just do not have much appeal. Hope we really get something that is a game changer.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »
^^^
I'm thinking everything we know about the 2015 concept is about to change.  That could be a good thing.

I sure hope so. The things I here are just not that exciting to me. IE, shot tower , off the shelf flat rides just do not have much appeal. Hope we really get something that is a game changer.

The shot tower is a theme park staple and is needed. There's a couple of flats that if themed would add to the park. Like Swoosh has said in the past, they're are people eaters and shorten lines the main attractions. Like at it this way, if dad and teen Jr are in line for outlaw run and it's an hour wait and mom and the 8yr old aren't into it, why not have a kiddie ride or two real close so that the mom and the little one can stay close by without separating. Outlaw Run is the perfect example with the rather extreme giant swing. If two out of four want to ride those two on a busier day that will take at least an 11/2hrs yet all there is for the other two in the immediate area is high/low silo and a couple of things that take just a couple of minutes to tire of. (Hand crank frog race, milk the fake cow. The original concept art called a mini swing along with Hi/low but that became part of Half Dollar Holler. Maybe this time they are getting it set for the big thrill. I just wish that Zamperla had the disco with a hill out when GE got its version. I have seen that themed very well. It's up to SDC to pay to theme a flat, it can be done.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »
^^^

The shot tower is a theme park staple and is needed. There's a couple of flats that if themed would add to the park. Like Swoosh has said in the past, they're are people eaters and shorten lines the main attractions. Like at it this way, if dad and teen Jr are in line for outlaw run and it's an hour wait and mom and the 8yr old aren't into it, why not have a kiddie ride or two real close so that the mom and the little one can stay close by without separating. Outlaw Run is the perfect example with the rather extreme giant swing. If two out of four want to ride those two on a busier day that will take at least an 11/2hrs yet all there is for the other two in the immediate area is high/low silo and a couple of things that take just a couple of minutes to tire of. (Hand crank frog race, milk the fake cow. The original concept art called a mini swing along with Hi/low but that became part of Half Dollar Holler. Maybe this time they are getting it set for the big thrill. I just wish that  had the disco with a hill out when GE got its version. I have seen that themed very well. It's up to SDC to pay to theme a flat, it can be done.

Well for me it is a waste of resources. It might work and be needed, but if I want to go to a traveling carnival I will just stay close to home.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
^^^
I'm thinking everything we know about the 2015 concept is about to change.  That could be a good thing."

The shot tower is a theme park staple and is needed. There's a couple of flats that if themed would add to the park. Like Swoosh has said in the past, they're are people eaters and shorten lines the main attractions. Like at it this way, if dad and teen Jr are in line for outlaw run and it's an hour wait and mom and the 8yr old aren't into it, why not have a kiddie ride or two real close so that the mom and the little one can stay close by without separating. Outlaw Run is the perfect example with the rather extreme giant swing. If two out of four want to ride those two on a busier day that will take at least an 11/2hrs yet all there is for the other two in the immediate area is high/low silo and a couple of things that take just a couple of minutes to tire of. (Hand crank frog race, milk the fake cow. The original concept art called a mini swing along with Hi/low but that became part of Half Dollar Holler. Maybe this time they are getting it set for the big thrill. I just wish that  had the disco with a hill out when GE got its version. I have seen that themed very well. It's up to SDC to pay to theme a flat, it can be done.

Well for me it is a waste of resources. It might work and be needed, but if I want to go to a traveling carnival I will just stay close to home.

I don't know, I take comfort that it's not carnies running things and the fact it keeps me from relenting to going to the weekend road show. But...SDC is close to me. Like I said, I've some of these rides themed up pretty good. Googleimage  search Zamperla disk'o and compare and contrast on the traveling show ones and themed up ones at Parks.

Here's SDC's disc'o

Here's some others with more than a custom paint job

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:31:11 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »

Never said you did, just that work would be visible through August. Since most of the pics are coming from the GG area, one could assume you mean GG being closed.

If the "visable through summer" comment doesn't imply to GG maybe you could be more clear in thought.

Fair enough, and yes it did. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »
here are pics from sunday the 30th........ In the middle are 7 or 8 pics I took from the train ride... that is the best view to see the work..... I will do my review later ..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sanddunerider/

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »
Wow!  The hi-striker thing looks even better with the fluorescent prizes!  I see now how well it fits in with the theme!

I was going to get pictures of the new yellow cones in the parking lot, too.  They were so clean and smooth.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:41 PM »
I wonder if they are going to open up the back of the Grand Exposition?.  Look at a map, Google Earth, it would work.  What do you guys think?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2014, 06:18:15 AM »
No.  The Grand Expo was designed to have ONE entrance and ONE exit as a way to safely allow younger guests to explore the area.  This was one of the key components that was stressed in the original press release.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
No.  The Grand Expo was designed to have ONE entrance and ONE exit as a way to safely allow younger guests to explore the area.  This was one of the key components that was stressed in the original press release.
I get what your saying, but I know thoughts change over time and it's been nearly a decade since GE opened up. Maybe a new loop could be created with a new track crossing and crosses over to the new project area. Even with them taking out that backstage area and parking lot, they'll still need an entrance area for the parade and such. I can see that still being there at the back of the GE. I know my city has or still are installing several trail tunnels under roads and I can see SDC doing that under 76 to the lots across the highway for employee parking/physical plant.

Too many fingers seem destined to create more bottlenecks where they tie into old loop.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Let's put it another way. There are plans for that area, but it is not to expand and/or connect GE with the rest of the park.
SWOOSH

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
You know I've always thought that one day there would be a loop at the back of GE connecting it to Lake Silver. But the more I think about it, GE is such a break from the rest of the park (most of the time we don't even walk back there) that I really wouldn't want to see it as a loop. GE is more of an excersion from SDC, if you like it..go there, if you don't..you don't have to see it. I'm now kinda liking the idea that it will stay somewhat hidden and out of the main flow of traffic.
You have a great past just ahead of you.