Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384383 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
Chittlins, what is why your school girl crush on Vekoma?   

Hollywood, I don't want a kiddie coaster.  I want a B&M, because I know it'll actually be running most of the time.

And yet they are everywhere and usually running when I'm there. It's not like it's S&S. The suspended coasters of theirs would be a  family crowd pleaser although not much flash and a people eater. I'd love a Mack bobsled just the same or anyone's suspended coaster where most kids not have to decide on going upside down or not. I'd rather see a radical, free spin spinner that has indoor and outdoor elements. Tilt a Whirl on rails.

pintrader

« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »

And yet they are everywhere and usually running when I'm there. It's not like it's S&S. The suspended coasters of theirs would be a  family crowd pleaser although not much flash and a people eater. I'd love a Mack bobsled just the same or anyone's suspended coaster where most kids not have to decide on going upside down or not. I'd rather see a radical, free spin spinner that has indoor and outdoor elements. Tilt a Whirl on rails.

Tilt a whirl on rails.......sounds like there would be a lot of Outlaw Run Pizza alongside the track.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »
Chittlins, what is why your school girl crush on Vekoma?   

Hollywood, I don't want a kiddie coaster.  I want a B&M, because I know it'll actually be running most of the time.

I guess the reason I don't want a Vekoma is because in my opinion they are inferior rides.  They age like milk and have issues understanding that a gap between the upstop wheels and the track is a bad thing.

Considering that both Vekoma and myself are Dutch, I'd show some hometown pride, but I cannot stand their rides.  I've ridden most of their American installations and not only are they rough but most are extremely forgettable.
SWOOSH

ttroyer210

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »
Vekoma makes Disney's coasters don't they? I know they are working on the new Seven Dwarves Mine Train.
Fire In The Hole!

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:10 AM »
I have no idea why any person who has ever ridden a vekoma coaster would ever want one at SDC.  I have ridden several and quite frankly hate them all.  B&M is a FAR superior coaster builder.  I think Chillins works for Vekoma's marketing department.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
I have to laugh whenever I see all this chatter about rides, their qualities, their shortcomings, and the manufacturers. Back in my days on the park, no one ever thought about this stuff. Most of the rides were made by the SDC work crews, although they might have outside companies supply parts or technical knowledge. I remember when the American Plunge was being built, the SDC crew took a boat down to Six Flags in Texas to run it through their flume channels, testing it to see how it performed. Many of you are very knowledgeable about this stuff, and I just scratch my head and think to myself "what are they talking about?" I encourage you to talk it all out here. As for me, I will just go to the park when something new is announced, and see it for myself. I do have to admit, all this stuff, the big rides, that they have purchased over the years does seem to break down a lot. I do not remember us old "citizens" having trouble with stuff like that back in the old days. All the rides were very low tech, even the diving bell, when compared to todays rides. Ha! I'm an old goat! Ha!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
^They're easier to market.  Just saying

No doubt. With coasters, it's easy to describe them in quantifiable ways: "Fastest", "Longest", "Highest", "Steepest", "First Ever Feature X", etc.

With dark rides, promotion starts with "This is great, but it would take too long to explain why, so just trust us."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »
Vekoma makes Disney's coasters don't they? I know they are working on the new Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

Yes, unfortunately Disney doesn't understand quality at times.  Rock'n'rollercoaster for example has become very rough, which is a shame because it *was* a fun ride.  There are also quite a few Arrow built coasters in the Disney line up.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
Vekoma makes OK coasters these days. It wouldn't fry my brain to see SDC get one, especially if it's a junior invert. The only thing that would bother me is if they made it cookie-cutter and just plopped it in somewhere.

I don't know exactly what I want to see SDC get right now, but I just hope it turns out to be unique and quality. I've still got good feelings about the management team and planning people though, they've stayed pretty true to the park for the challenges they face.

The only thing that keeps coming to mind for me is a heavily themed indoor/outdoor intamin/mack/zierer family coaster with a drop track. Something like Verbolten or even better: Polar X-plorer (http://rcdb.com/10214.htm?p=37279). I just love the idea of having a coaster swoop in and out of a huge mineshaft/mountain/whatever.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2013, 01:33:57 AM »
I liked the idea that someone had a while back to do the ice-house theme using a spinner coaster (I don't know the proper terminology for it... whatever it is that Worlds of Fun has in the Asia area).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:34:47 AM by Joy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
I liked the idea that someone had a while back to do the ice-house theme using a spinner coaster (I don't know the proper terminology for it... whatever it is that Worlds of Fun has in the Asia area).

That would be an awesome version of the old Icehouse ride proposal. Slipping and sliding and spinning wildly on ice. Joy look up Tornado spinning coaster on YouTube for somewhat of an ideal of how to pull this off.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
Vekoma makes OK coasters these days. It wouldn't fry my brain to see SDC get one, especially if it's a junior invert. The only thing that would bother me is if they made it cookie-cutter and just plopped it in somewhere.

I don't know exactly what I want to see SDC get right now, but I just hope it turns out to be unique and quality. I've still got good feelings about the management team and planning people though, they've stayed pretty true to the park foir the challenges they face.

The only thing that keeps coming to mind for me is a heavily themed indoor/outdoor intamin/mack/zierer family coaster with a drop track. Something like Verbolten or even better: Polar X-plorer (http://rcdb.com/10214.htm?p=37279). I just love the idea of having a coaster swoop in and out of a huge mineshaft/mountain/whatever.

I've committed blasphemy on this site by suggesting to remake FITH with a drop element at the burning bridge and launch into the finale in the dark alongside with new animatronics and special effects while keeping true to the story line.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »
I've committed blasphemy on this site by suggesting to remake FITH with a drop element at the burning bridge and launch into the finale in the dark alongside with new animatronics and special effects while keeping true to the story line.

It's ok, I suggested removing the treehouse or rebuilding it. I don't really want to see it go, but I think the park should get rid of things that cannot be used anymore.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
I too think a spinning coaster would be a great family addition to the park. I would just like something with a little more thrill (length) than the ones that are currently on the market. Of the current manufactures, I like Gerstlauer cars better because you sit across from each other.

As stated earlier, I'd really like for SDC to update what they have (FM, AP and FITH really could use some TLC). Put in a little extra effort and make these rides signature rides. But I also know it's hard to market that to people....so we probably will never see that happen.

But what I'm hearing from other sites too is that it's a B&M coaster headed our way....which would be fine....just make it a great ride and leave as many trees as possible. I'm sure the theme will be great as always.

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »
As stated earlier, I'd really like for SDC to update what they have (FM, AP and FITH really could use some TLC). Put in a little extra effort and make these rides signature rides. But I also know it's hard to market that to people....so we probably will never see that happen.

We still have 2014 that needs something.  I do know that PTB have been watching how well KBF's remake of the log flume has gone over with the public.  Just saying.
SWOOSH