Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 387124 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Okay, so Swoosh has confirmed the 2015 project will be a B&M dive coaster into Lake Silver.  ;)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:22 AM »
Um... no
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
C'mon, dude.  :D

Thunderation

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
So it's not a B&M dive coaster then.
You have a great past ahead of you.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Hypothetically speaking, if the park did invest in a B&M in 2015, what are the chances they are investing enough to get a decently sized ride? With this project being on the heels of a $10 million dollar blockbuster that will only then be starting to lose its 'newness', are they willing to shell out $17-20 million more to get a B&M of appreciable size? $10 million on a B&M barely gets you a tiny dive coaster these days. I'm hoping they finally build something with some length to it with this project, which is one of the reasons I wouldn't be sorry to see them go to a different vendor for this go-round.

I feel like there have been a lot of persistent rumors over the years that shouldn't be dismissed regarding the park coming very close to signing a deal for a G-fighter. Like we've discussed, it would fit the waterboggin site well, and the old tower could be used for theming or as a lift structure.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
Yes, but the PTB are not happy with the way that Mystery Mine has aged, which is one of the main reasons we have not seen one at SDC.  I think we'll see a clone of what DW will get next year as the next next project, BUT what is coming in 2015 is set in stone and will be a nice addition to the park.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:22 AM »
Why don't they take the shot tower from CC, put in some nicely themed smaller rides like a "mad mouse" and a "brain rattler" like they had at Dogpatch, and maybe another small ride or two, and have four or five "new" rides in that area. Some nice landscaping and you have got some reasonably priced attractions that would require only a few new employees to operate, with a good impact among guests? Or do we have to see more and more big coasters come in every two or three years?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »
Really attracting the crowds these days could cost very little, (in terms of a water dive B&M anyway).  Build 2 huge buildings (almost stadium size). Bring in a very good show in one building. (A show like anything on the strip with maybe a bunch more comedy) and show it (or several bands maybe) multiple times daily.  Now Mom, Dad, Granny, & Gramps are happy.

Now in the other large building, fill it full of XBOX 360 games. Link them so the kids can come in and battle each other for free. Now everybody is happy!!!

Ok Im just kidding obviously-----Or am I?  HMMMM----Im not sure I know. What do you all think?  Well  what does that matter?  Maybe if I ever figure out if this was a joke or not, I might let you know.

You can always count on me to put a different and unusual twist on everything Huh? Or can you?
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Unfortunately it's the nature of the business Junior. They have to build and expand. Honestly they have averaged 4 or 5 years between roller coasters. Thunderation 1993 Buzz Saw Falls 1999 Wildfire 2001  PowderKeg 2005 Outlaw Run in 2013!  The fact is you expand or die! They add and have WAY more family attractions than thrill rides but fact is the big rides bring in people and money and in the end it's a business.
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
I just hope that Silver Dollar City never loses the charm in favor of big rides. The reason I love Silver Dollar City is because of it's beauty and the fun I can have with my family. In fact the last time my family went, we spent all day just for the rides, and still didn't get all of them in.....we remarked that one of these times, we are just going to come one day and not ride anything (just see the shows, visit the shops, take the cave tour). There is so much to do at the park already so I wouldn't mind them taking a few years just to really fix up what they already have.

It would be nice to have American Plunge, Flooded Mine and Fire in the Hole made back into the signature rides they once were. Just imagine top notch quality dark ride sections for those rides combined with what already makes them great. Thunderation is a great mine coaster, just finish it off with the covered last drop to keep you in theme and from seeing the backstage areas of the park. Just little stuff like this would keep me happy.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not completely excited about a new B&M taking out a bunch of trees (like what was done on Wildfire). I'm sure whatever is done will be great, and that I'll have fun. Swoosh seems excited, so maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic, but I just want the park to always stay true to its roots.

Jay

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
Good words and thoughts Cowboy!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »
I'm with you, cowboy. Rides are fun, but secondary to why I love the city. Put me in a time machine for SDC 1982, and I'd be perfectly happy. In many ways, I'd actually like it better.

I don't mind the rides (I can't wait to ride OR!) but I worry about the character and theming that's been lost; I fear a gradual drift towards an "amusement park with theming", rather than a theme park with amusements.

I know the younger folks are just as enthusiastic about "their" SDC that they grew up with. I just wish everyone could experience the city in "Miss Mary's time".

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
When visiting with a park employee earlier this year he confessed each year there is more corporate policy slipping into the park, and each year there is less of what we call "SDC." Character and charm may eventually be lost to bottom line thinking. Will the park still be a fun place to visit? Probably. Will it be like we remember from our youth? No. Go to YouTube, copy the old home movies of SDC from the 60s and 70s and early to mid 80s and watch them when you are feeling nostalgic. The future looks like newer and bigger rollercoasters to me. Remember kiddos, I'm a dinosaur, old school. I liked the old days at SDC. I wish they could keep all the charm of years past while implementing a new ride every few years. However, today's generation with no experience with the stuff I'm talking about go to SDC and think everything is great as it is. They are the ones that will visit the park after old school like me will be eating oatmeal at the old folks home!  ;)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
Not everyone wants the "new" SDC, Junior.  My children, ages 20's - 30's, prefer it the way it was 10-15 years ago.  I think those that are old enough to remember its charm from years back will remember the "good old days" as much as we do, and mourn for its passing.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
Let me preface my comments by stating that I fall into the unique category of a 50/50 enthusiast. While I welcome and advocate the addition of major coasters, I also appreciate the park's continued attention to detail, and would also love to see those efforts put forth with improvements to some SDC staples (e.g., TNT, FITH, FM & AP).

It's already been touched on numerous times in various threads, but the unfortunate truth is SDC simply cannot remain profitable without engaging itself in the ongoing large, thrill-ride race. They are competing for tourism dollars against other major amusement parks that already have an edge based on demographics, brand awareness and geography (proximity to major metro areas).

I firmly believe SDC will always have the charm others in the industry cannot come close to matching, but if you want to see the park carry on, it's going to require the continued addition of new major attractions.

I think you also have to consider that while SDC owns a considerably larger parcel of land than the park's current footprint consumes, there isn't a terribly obvious and convenient place for major park expansion. SDC's major coasters already skirt it's western perimeter, so I think any fear of pulling into SDC's main lot 20 years from now and seeing nothing but towering hyper coasters framing the horizon is unwarranted and unrealistic in my view.

In short, a whole lot would need to happen, before that ever happens at SDC.