Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384247 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
I didn't know you worked at the City, Tinmann.  What is your job there?
I'm Your Huckleberry

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 11:08:28 PM »
The 2015 addition will be a MAJOR addition.

Swoosh, when you say MAJOR, can you give us a bit more perspective?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, while Outlaw Run can be considered a major attraction, the investment for it's construction ($10 million) was't much above that of River Blast ($7 million).

Taking into account critical factors like construction cost, physical size, and park/industry impacts, for the sake of amusement and continued discussion, would you mind amusing us with a little exercise? This is in no way an attempt to rank SDC's coasters based on the actual ride experience. All are great in their own right, and that's an entirely different discussion altogether. Just hope to get your opinion about the actual scope of the next potential major addition to SDC.

All that said, on a scale of 1 to 10, let's assign values to SDC's current "traditional" coaster lineup as follows:

TNT – 5
PK – 7
OR – 7
WF – 8

How would you score the 2015 project based on what you know now? 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
I've not heard a dollar figure yet. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »
I've not heard a dollar figure yet. 

I think he was going for a 'on a scale of 1 to 10" type rating for the 2015 not dollar amount

Hollwood

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:25 AM »
I see what your getting at... More $= better ride, but I disagree. SDC can usually get great deals because they are the first to purchase a new technology, yes it's cheaper initially, but very expensive in the long run.(just look at Buzzsaw, Powderkeg, and what looks to be Outlaw if it keeps being stubborn.) that being said, Wildfire was their biggest capital investment, but it is not a unique ride. SDC paid for the reliability, and the proven, quality woorkman ship of B&M. I would hate for SDC to spend $45 million on something like Kinda Ka because it is not Family friendly, and, in my opinion, It's not fun. I would much rather see another $10-12 million first of its kind attraction that will continue to bring families closer together.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
Totally agree. A hefty price tag does not guarantee a great ride experience. And to your point, HFEC and SDC have been masters at getting a lot of bang for the buck with their bigger attractions.

Swoosh, I'm just looking for your scale of 1 to 10 opinion in terms of the anticipated scope of the 2015 project. I tried assigning values to SDC's existing coasters to give us all some clearer perspective.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »
Could have the nitwits gone to Europa to check out Mack's coaster they are putting in for 2014. Think it is an inverted spinner. It would be similar to what they did with Wild Eagle. First in Europa then first in North America. The one at Europa will have indoor/outdoor segments.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:17:12 AM by chittlins »

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »
Okay, so I have no way of knowing if this is true but a few whispers I keep hearing are that SDC is going back back to B&M (people who built Wildfire) to give us B&M's first fourth dimension coaster. For those who don't know what that is it's just like Wild Eagle at Dollywood except the seats flip a full 360 degrees. Again I don't have any way of proving this it's just a couple whispers I've heard. We shall know soon enough I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:04:55 AM by Grapeslie »
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
^It would have to be America's first as there is one set to open in Asia already in 2015.

SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Swoosh, what about that clarification on the 1 to 10 assessment?  ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »
Now you know that I cannot tell you that.  You're basically asking me to tell you the type and/or manufacturer for the ride.
Just sit back and hold on as the ride hasn't even left the station yet.

SWOOSH

Hollwood

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 05:57:53 AM »
A 4D does not seem right to me. It's a huge coaster that would be very difficult to theme. The thing would stand out like a sore thumb and tear the landscape up. With every project in the past being hidden in the trees and complimenting the terrain I cannot see SDC installing one of these. Yes DW built wild eagle, but it has nothing to do with Dollywood. Do we really want a random bird flying through the city? Lest think about the park with our answers, not our "coaster" organ!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 06:13:17 AM »
A 4D does not seem right to me. It's a huge coaster that would be very difficult to theme. The thing would stand out like a sore thumb and tear the landscape up. With every project in the past being hidden in the trees and complimenting the terrain I cannot see SDC installing one of these. Yes DW built wild eagle, but it has nothing to do with Dollywood. Do we really want a random bird flying through the city? Lest think about the park with our answers, not our "coaster" organ!
''

Didn't give me warm fuzzies either, how bout something that doesn't involve going upside down, There's two coasters that have that covered. What have been the reception of S&S's and Intimin's 4D coasters been.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Did anyone see Dolly Parton on the news this morning promoting her new attraction?  It looked like a water coaster water ride?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »
Did anyone see Dolly Parton on the news this morning promoting her new attraction?  It looked like a water coaster water ride?
yeah, that's the big new thing at Dollywood's waterpark. Hopefully that's what lands at Whitewater next season. I'd just soon they started over with a waterpark closer to the city and a better surrounding environment.