Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384261 times)

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
I definitely don't think we'll see another wooden roller coaster at SDC for awhile since they just got Outlaw Run.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
I definitely don't think we'll see another wooden roller coaster at SDC for awhile since they just got Outlaw Run.

Well, If you consider Outlaw run a true wooden coaster. Some will say it is a hybrid.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »
Seriously guys?  Let's be honest - your next coaster is either going to be a Firechaser Express semi-clone or a wingcoaster (Wild Eagle).  It really isn't up for discussion, those are the two options. 

I know that, but it sure is fun to wish for what I want to see.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #633 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »

Well, If you consider Outlaw run a true wooden coaster. Some will say it is a hybrid.

I've always considered it to be a wooden coaster. I think it is close enough to a wooden roller coaster that SDC won't get another in the near future, even though SDC could use just a normal wooden coaster. I would love to see a GCI wooden coaster. I love Prowler at Worlds of Fun and Renegade at Valleyfair.

Hollwood

« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
I don't think they will get another Gerstlaur dual launch. That thing cost more than OR and is really overrated. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ride, but a $14 million price tag is a little much.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »
Question: how many varieties of coasters can they build? Pretty soon they will have to remove some older attractions to build new coasters, won't they?
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
Question: how many varieties of coasters can they build? Pretty soon they will have to remove some older attractions to build new coasters, won't they?

Well there are many different kinds of coasters, and SDC only has five kinds. The question is how far they can (if at all) expand the park past its current borders. I would hate to see any of SDC's coasters have to be removed even if it is for something better.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
Swoosh, clearly you have insinuated that you are already well aware of what type of coaster will round out the updated GG area in 2015. For those of us who have not yet been to the park this year, it is very hard to judge the scope of the actual footprint within the area being renovated. Is there even enough room to accommodate a winged coaster in the area? As much as I would love to see that type of ride anchor that area, it seems like the entire area is already taking on a more GE.2 vibe. That leads me to believe they would opt for a more TNTish family tailored coaster. But that's just my hunch.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
Seriously guys?  Let's be honest - your next coaster is either going to be a Firechaser Express semi-clone or a wingcoaster (Wild Eagle).  It really isn't up for discussion, those are the two options. 

Yeah and we were getting a euro fighter once too and it seemed like the time a sure thing. There really isn't that much true copying when it comes to coasters between the two SDCs err..... SDC and Dollywood. I rather they have their own identities that way so as the make both more attractive and to avoid folks from being satisfied with visiting just one.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
Swoosh, clearly you have insinuated that you are already well aware of what type of coaster will round out the updated GG area in 2015. For those of us who have not yet been to the park this year, it is very hard to judge the scope of the actual footprint within the area being renovated. Is there even enough room to accommodate a winged coaster in the area? As much as I would love to see that type of ride anchor that area, it seems like the entire area is already taking on a more GE.2 vibe. That leads me to believe they would opt for a more TNTish family tailored coaster. But that's just my hunch.

I would think that they would put some sort of family coaster in the new area, considering they removed a major family area. Also, I don't know if they have time to add a wing coaster and have it operating by opening day 2015. I think there is room for a wing coaster in the area. I am not sure but they could probably send some of the wing coaster over the train track to get more room for a major roller coaster.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »

SDC is missing:

1.Traditional woodie, either out and back or twisty

2.Suspended coaster, I guess you could say B&M Wingriders are their new suspended coasters . They are now building family suspended coasters like Vekoma. Pretty much put an end to their floorless version similar to Wildfire.  They are now building family suspended coasters like Vekoma.

3. Dive coaster

4. bobsled type coaster

5. Mouse style coaster, custom kind that Mack seems really good at.

6. Spinning coaster

7.Boomerang style, Gerstlauer has put in a few family type of these in Europe lately and their the oft cussed Vekomas that still sell.

8.Trick Track, drop track or trick track like Firechaser unless we want to get technical with finicky Powerkeg.

9.Mega coaster, the steel giants that are inversionless but with insane speed and hills

10. 4d coasters

11. Beyond vertical drop coasters. Gerstlauer  Euro figters and S&S El Locos

12. B&M flying coasters like Manta at SeaWorld Orlando

And a few more

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
Pretty soon they will have to remove some older attractions to build new coasters, won't they?

Trust me when I say, SDC is not hurting for expansion pads.

There's plenty of room.  You have the area where the WB tower is, the back part of FL and then the employee parking lot across the tracks.  I'm not saying that is where the next coaster go - there is another area that has been fairly recently fenced off over between WF and PK as well.  I'm not saying that know which coaster is coming next or even which expansion pad or that both have been mentioned.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #642 on: August 08, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »

Outlaw Run is completely a wooden coaster.  The steel plate on top is just like any other "traditional" wooden coaster, only a little thicker.  This helps with the settling of the wood.  It also helps lengthen the life of the wood - as well as with maintenance.

Now if you want a "questionable" wooden coaster - see Goliath
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
Pretty soon they will have to remove some older attractions to build new coasters, won't they?

There's plenty of room.  You have the area where the WB tower is, the back part of FL and then the employee parking lot across the tracks.  I'm not saying that is where the next coaster go - there is another area that has been fairly recently fenced off over between WF and PK as well.  I'm not saying that know which coaster is coming next or even which expansion pad or that both have been mentioned.

I wish a revamp of American Plunge could incorporate a Bobsled type coaster that interacts with the flume. I think you could stretch you theming bang for the bucks that way.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #644 on: August 08, 2014, 08:06:39 PM »

But are you saying that a new coaster IS coming for 2015?