Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384374 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #405 on: June 01, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
I would love to have an Air Race at the park.  I think it would almost need a Steam Punk theme for it to "work" but it would be awesome.  They could also utilize a raised ride platform to save space (as in put the queue underneath).

We'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and Hollywood, that's as good a guess as I have heard.  Would make sense to honor another public service branch and even if that is not the theme of the area, could see them adding another monument over by FITH for them.

Yep, yep.. just like Tivoli Gardens

If it's a fire dept theme, here's a Zamperla kiddie ride that's fire related

Where's Celebration City's version of this kiddie jump ride that seated 6, although it's basically the same concept of the high low silos:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:15:36 PM by chittlins »

BobKrause

• View Profile
    • Facebook - Bob Krause
« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »
I would love to have an Air Race at the park.  I think it would almost need a Steam Punk theme for it to "work" but it would be awesome. 

I'd consider Doc Harris to be Hillbilly Steampunk. ;-)

I was watching Heroes of Cosplay one evening last week, and I woke up later that night from a crazy dream thinking that Branson needed to have a Doc Harris Steampunk Cosplay Event at the Convention Center.  ;D

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
I an curious if they are removing GG where will the playground be?  SDC has always had a playground area for the kids to burn off steam.  Do the kids of today not want an area like GG? I seem to notice there are always plenty of kids in the area taking advantage of the activities. Half Dollar does not compare as it is geared to little ones.  Any ideas?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 03, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
I an curious if they are removing GG where will the playground be?  SDC has always had a playground area for the kids to burn off steam.  Do the kids of today not want an area like GG? I seem to notice there are always plenty of kids in the area taking advantage of the activities. Half Dollar does not compare as it is geared to little ones.  Any ideas?

I've checking out some of the new Whitewater West play structures with ropes and even integrated zip line, interesting stuff.
http://www.whitewaterattractions.com/no_boundaries.html#!prettyPhoto
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:47:29 AM by chittlins »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 03, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
I've checking out some of the new Whitewater West play structures with ropes and even integrated zip line, interesting stuff.
These folks may have been the Adventure Mountain builders at Dollywood, looks similar.
It may be a thought, even for the existing tower.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 03, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »
These folks may have been the Adventure Mountain builders at Dollywood, looks similar.
It may be a thought, even for the existing tower.

I think they did, I know they did the Stone Mountain structure and Geyser Gulch I believe they did as well throught their Prime subsidiary. Since they have bought out Hopkins water rides, it's all under one umbrella. Waterwater has done the two most recent waterpark additions for HFE, the water coaster at Dollywood and the new slide at White Water.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #411 on: June 04, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
mhguy brought up Boatworks Theater in the Where in the City thread.  With the changes to the area - the front of the barn, the GG changes, the reboundarying of GE - isn't it time to rename Boatworks?  It's not on the Lost River, and it's up from the lake enough that the only way BW was close to "boats" was when the WB was open.  I think it could be given a little bit of a makeover and have a change of name to blend in with the area.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 04, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »
Very possibly a make over. The building is showing it's age.
I foresee that entire area changing. Toy store included. I sure could be wrong but it
Seems like they are not up keeping these specific buildings this year, much like the lack of upkeep at GG. Paint peeling ect

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #413 on: June 04, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
Toy store got a new roof -- not sure how that is not keeping it up.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
Toy store got a new roof -- not sure how that is not keeping it up.

It very well may have a new roof but take a look at the decor on the outside of the building, solder, barrel full of toys on top etc.  They are looking a little rough.  Nothing is falling apart but they do not look like they are being well maintained.    I would hate to see the wisteria canopy disappear but progress marches on.   My other suspicion is the bottleneck that is there at the toy store.  Only time will tell, it is great fun to speculate. :)  During the 2012 Coaster Christmas event I asked a few of the park representatives when they were going to put restrooms in that area because of the distance from the other facilities.  They  replied that it was not in the plans specifically because the infrastructure ( pipes) were across the street at riverblast.  As it turned out they opened a new facility there at the entrance to the farm area.  Sometimes plans change.  There is a bottle neck at the entrance of the toy store that will probably open up in one way or another.  Because of the tight quarters in this area it seems to propel the crowd forward instead of driving them into the shop itself. It is not a place to linger but a place to keep on the move.  Maybe if this were more open they would wander a bit more in the area.
   All we can do is speculate wait and see.  Its a lot of fun to compare what we think is inevitable and compare it to the final product.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »

I would hate to see the wisteria canopy disappear but progress marches on.

Me too!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:04:19 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
The Toy Store building will remain.  The Wisteria cover is still up in the air, but I wouldn't count on it.
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
Any chance SDC will purchase another S&S tower to pair with the used one from Celebration City? I'm just thinking the capacity of only one tower might be a little bit of a problem for SDC. Most large parks that have these rides, have multiple towers...but then again, with all the other rides going into the area the single tower ride capacity might not be an issue.

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
One could/would hope, but I'd say the chances are pretty low.  After reading your post I was trying to think of "larger parks" that only have one tower and I am having trouble of thinking of any.  I know that Adventureland, Indiana Beach, and Holiday World have single towers, but they're smaller parks.  Come to think of it, I believe only Worlds of Fun and the Great Escape are the only parks with 2 towers... I'm not counting Dorney even though it technically is only towers with a "dummy" 3rd tower.

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #419 on: June 05, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »
Most parks market S&S towers as major attractions. I think they're going to try and blend this one into the area rather than having it stand out as a major attraction in and of itself. It will be marketed as a family ride, which it certainly can be.

I am also interested to see how the area leading into GG changes next year. We already know the challenges the park faces with updating various things to bring them into compliance with ADA and modern visitors expectations while also upholding the SDC atmosphere and charm.   It would make sense to relocate or rebuild the toy store at some point as more and more young families are attracted to the park, but the old building is certainly a classic part of SDC. I don't know though, usually they end up cutting back on things as projects move into reality, and I can't see them doing too much outside of the core project area.