Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384202 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
Now it looks like they are clear-cutting and adding a few trees back in as landscaping. That is a huge difference for the feel and layout of the park

This procedure is what robs the authenticity in the very base of the theme.
Marking trees and working around them to retain was the "hard" way to do the job.  The end results however were without argument,  warm and inviting.  Now they are clear cutting and inserting non forest native trees. It shows.
Juxtapose / compare walking in nicely planned yard or gardens and walking in the woods.  Both are lovely but one feels much more adventurous and consuming.  Gardens come and go with the seasons but the woods stay wild and mysterious.   This creates a natural theme, I insist its the very basis of the theme that made us all fans of the park.

Although I keep hearing the GE mentioned I have yet to here anything other than the job they did is growing in well. I don't hear much "connection" to this area.  Its great for the kids but there is little character.  Theme and character have little to do with each other.

Possibly you have heard the story about Miss Mary and workers fired because of a cut tree.  She did not deem this necessary, the end result was a peace treaty lasagna dinner that she herself supplied to smooth things over and get those boys back to work. This reaffirms and supports the fact that the founders of the park knew the importance of the trees and wooded feel that their soon to blossom park naturally contained. 

One more thought, If it were possible how many of you would like trees inserted to block the view of the row of resorts down from Wildfire? Does this disturbance of the natural view set the theme on its side a little? It does for me.
I am not a tree hugger, but I am in awe of their natural beauty and hate to see them removed.

I agree with you on every level.  Hubs and I were just talking about this last week after our very short visit to the park.  If the integrity, feel, and culture of the park continues to gradually change, when do we quit attending?  I hope it doesn't get to the point that we no longer want to attend in order to remember the "feel" of it before the recent changes of the last few years. And, I don't mean additional rides, such as Outlaw Run, but the overall look and feel of the park.  I want to walk in feeling immersed in an 1880's mining town - not an amusement park!  We could go to several parks close to home if we wanted, but we don't!  We have little interest in visiting any other amusement park.  But, this one is special....when the special is no longer there, we won't be there.  It's not just my generation that feels this way.  My twenty something and thirty something kids feel the same way and commented on it after our last visit to the park together just a couple of years ago.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »
Now it looks like they are clear-cutting and adding a few trees back in as landscaping. That is a huge difference for the feel and layout of the park

This procedure is what robs the authenticity in the very base of the theme.
Marking trees and working around them to retain was the "hard" way to do the job.  The end results however were without argument,  warm and inviting.  Now they are clear cutting and inserting non forest native trees. It shows.
Juxtapose / compare walking in nicely planned yard or gardens and walking in the woods.  Both are lovely but one feels much more adventurous and consuming.  Gardens come and go with the seasons but the woods stay wild and mysterious.   This creates a natural theme, I insist its the very basis of the theme that made us all fans of the park.

Although I keep hearing the GE mentioned I have yet to here anything other than the job they did is growing in well. I don't hear much "connection" to this area.  Its great for the kids but there is little character.  Theme and character have little to do with each other.

Possibly you have heard the story about Miss Mary and workers fired because of a cut tree.  She did not deem this necessary, the end result was a peace treaty lasagna dinner that she herself supplied to smooth things over and get those boys back to work. This reaffirms and supports the fact that the founders of the park knew the importance of the trees and wooded feel that their soon to blossom park naturally contained. 

One more thought, If it were possible how many of you would like trees inserted to block the view of the row of resorts down from Wildfire? Does this disturbance of the natural view set the theme on its side a little? It does for me.
I am not a tree hugger, but I am in awe of their natural beauty and hate to see them removed.

I agree with you on every level.  Hubs and I were just talking about this last week after our very short visit to the park.  If the integrity, feel, and culture of the park continues to gradually change, when do we quit attending?  I hope it doesn't get to the point that we no longer want to attend in order to remember the "feel" of it before the recent changes of the last few years. And, I don't mean additional rides, such as Outlaw Run, but the overall look and feel of the park.  I want to walk in feeling immersed in an 1880's mining town - not an amusement park!  We could go to several parks close to home if we wanted, but we don't!  We have little interest in visiting any other amusement park.  But, this one is special....when the special is no longer there, we won't be there.  It's not just my generation that feels this way.  My twenty something and thirty something kids feel the same way and commented on it after our last visit to the park together just a couple of years ago.

Look at it like this, If this was your first time going to SDC as a Family of 4 after only going to a couple of Six Flags parks as a teen and now a parent, does SDC offer what they would call a great departure from the Six Flags parks? I say that they still differentiate dramatically while at the same time offering most of what the Six Flags and Cedar Fair Park offers in terms of thrills.  SDC still has better shows, mostly better theming and overall better atmosphere over most of those parks. While SDC caught up with them through the Grand Expo, the others are catching up to SDC with their watered down versions of the River Blast (Six Flags is adding whats basically a flat ride sized version of a water cannon battle ride in many of their parks). The only thing SDC is missing is a couple of family coasters that fun for all and inversion free. The new one gets them on par with most all competition in the flat ride count and a form of shot/drop tower. What I've seen is that most real tall versions of these rides and swingers like WindSeekers seem to have all kind of issues on staying running whether mechanical or wind related. The draw back to SDC is that it's sister waterpark in subpar and detached from the Theme Park. I'm fine with it being an extra attraction but it needs to border SDC and I feel this is where SDC could really take the Tom and Huck theme to the max.

So in summary, I think SDC is striving to find a Busch Gardens Willaimsburg niche between the Six flags/Cedar Fairs and the Disney/Universals with their huge budgets in 4 seasons locations. And... that's something that's basically void in Middle America.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »
Silver Dollar City will forever be this area's Disneyland.  It is head and shoulders above the other area parks in the areas of charm, atmosphere, and quality.  Shoot it even blows Dollywood out of the water in those fields.  Don't be so jaded about our park because you visit so much.  Some of you are sounding like some of those leftcoasters who think they own Disneyland and go through the parks and are like "OMG, there is one shingle missing on that roof, let's devote an entire blog posting to rant about it"

To Clarify: I am not making fun of any specific person here, I was just "tongue in cheek" reminding everyone to keep things in perspective.  We really do have a gem of a park and should be thankful to have it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:18:22 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
BTW: Mods let's split this current strand of discussion into a new post as it has nothing to do (really) with 2015 construction,

To clarify: I feel like it deserves its own thread as it is a good discussion and should continue elsewhere instead of being buried in this thread. (re: the current practice of clear cutting the trees vs the old practice of planning around the trees)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:18:40 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
BTW: Mods let's split this current strand of discussion into a new post as it has nothing to do (really) with 2015 construction

Other than the retreads, Zamperla flats?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #395 on: May 31, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
^^You noticed the missing shingle too???  I can't believe they allow such a thing to go without repair!  It ruined my entire visit, last week, distracting me so much from the theme that I suddenly found myself propelled back into the 21st Century.  The missing shingle clearly violates the theme, as it would have been fixed immediately by the hardworking hillfolk of the 19th Century.  We give the so-called hillbillies too little credit.  In their neglect the powers that be have demonstrated absolute disrespect for our forebears. :-*
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »
Other than the retreads, Zamperla flats?

Last I heard, I total of 6 rides.  Honestly I don't see how they could fit much else in the area if you consider the size of the rides and their queue lines.

I am not sure on the manufacturer, but if I had to guess, Zamperla sounds about right.  So we know for sure there are 3 rides on the back lot.  (tower, balloons and lil swings).  I heard another ride showed up (not from CC) here recently.  So that's 4.  So maybe 2 new rides?  

Edit: Removed some verbage that offended
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:20:38 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
Still theming the area or are they just going to stick in random rides?  This doesn't seem to go along very well with the concepts that were floated.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2014, 01:27:17 AM »
Swoosh, you are so influential that because you do not care for another members opinion you call for the moderators to split off a topic?  I am offended at your boorish and "informed" attitude.  This is not the first time you have tried to run this show.  There are other members out here that share ideas that differ from you and that is why we are here; to discuss, consider, ponder and learn.
You have gone unchecked with your thinly veiled  snide comments and constant reminders that you have knowledge that others do not about the future of the park.
 Your self importance stands in the way of conversation.   If you know a better way to run this show then I suggest you  open forums on your website that you consistently plug and you can have a field day.  If you do intend to continue to participate in the conversation then do so without this attitude.  I am not the only person that feels this way. It has been discussed and we will keep it at that.  If I have an opinion about the way they are tending the park then I have the right to express it without your intervention, do not ask others be split off from the topic because although it is discussing the project it isn't what you deem necessary or important.  It is offensive and closed minded.

If this is too strong of an opinion for this forum then I respectfully request that this AND all of your comments claiming to have knowledge you have " not decided" to release be removed as well as the references to what the park "will allow you" to release be removed.  Please add to that list the many snide and disrespecful retorts to differing opinions.

Now lets grow up and get on with the discussion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:59:22 AM by mhguy77 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #399 on: June 01, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »
Enough, don't jump down someone's throat because you don't like their perceived attitude. It is too easy to take way more out of an internet comment than the poster intended. I am the one who decides what is acceptable on this forum and you'll notice I'm fine with discussing all of the side impacts and implications of this project in this thread to a certain point (considering I'm usually the one who points them out). That's enough back seat moderating from everyone.

Anyhow, for what it's worth I've been told that the theming of this area will look good by people who would know. I don't know what that means, but I trust them and SDC to come up with something interesting. I still think TGS and RiverBlast, and HDH did a great job of bringing SDC character into the modern age, so I don't have too many worries as of yet. Stuff like the way they handle trees is worth noting, but its not going to be worth really complaining about unless the final product falls short of the SDC standard.

I'd be surprised if they fit 6 rides in there. I was guessing four rides including the shot tower, partly based on the tubes that are sticking up right now. That depends on what they do with the existing structures though I guess...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:30:03 AM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »
Still theming the area or are they just going to stick in random rides?  This doesn't seem to go along very well with the concepts that were floated.

Yep.  There is a theme for the new area.  I am honestly anxious to see how they pull it off with the line up of rides (that we know for certain already).
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
If the balloons are among the rides, and if they are going with one of the concepts presented in the survey, then the theme must be flight.  I suspect they are going to stray from that theme, though.  With the other rides, I suppose some modifications could be made to fit the other themes, but with the balloons...?  They just don't fit with firefighting or fireworks.  Flight also would allow for a zipline of sorts from the WB tower.  I would hate for them to destroy such a majestic structure when it lends itself so well to other purposes - unless, that it, there are structural issues.

That said, I think there is more room in there than people are thinking - especially if they butt everything against the train tracks on one side and the lake on the other.  And I would love to see that Greedy Bros. monstrosity removed from the lake!  Or are the water guns going to remain?  Too much to speculate about.

Hollwood

« Reply #402 on: June 01, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
They dedicated Outlaw Run to Law Enforcement... So I'm calling the Fire Fighting theme with another dedication... And with Zamperlas vast theme options I bet we can see some run of the mill kiddie rides with a fire theme.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »
I'm still thinking we get a Zamperla Air Race, I would be interested in how they theme it. I've posted examples before.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 01, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
I would love to have an Air Race at the park.  I think it would almost need a Steam Punk theme for it to "work" but it would be awesome.  They could also utilize a raised ride platform to save space (as in put the queue underneath).

We'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and Hollywood, that's as good a guess as I have heard.  Would make sense to honor another public service branch and even if that is not the theme of the area, could see them adding another monument over by FITH for them.
SWOOSH