Author Topic: moonlight madness at Silver dollar City  (Read 15519 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: moonlight madness at Silver dollar City
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »
Had an interesting talk with a manager from the park.  He said the River Battle is not the ride we were suppose to get.  He said that is the ride we are getting because of the economy.  He said what we were suppose to get was a coaster. 

Ha! I knew it.

Glad to hear you had a good time. What is it about the Herschends and rides suddenly breaking down all the time now though? I hope we don't catch what DW's got.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »
^^That stinks that Fire in the Hole was broken down on ride days. I bet that annoyed the park big time.

So how did Moonlight Madness go business wise? Was it a huge hit or was there less attendance than SDC expected?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »
Had an interesting talk with a manager from the park.  He said the River Battle is not the ride we were suppose to get.  He said that is the ride we are getting because of the economy.  He said what we were suppose to get was a coaster. 

Ha! I knew it.

Glad to hear you had a good time. What is it about the Herschends and rides suddenly breaking down all the time now though? I hope we don't catch what DW's got.

I'll still be happy with the River Battle.  The Landing needs the revamping that it's getting.  Hopefully a coaster will come in the next few years.

That stinks about Fire in the Hole being broken down.  I hope everything else went well for Moonlight Madness.  Sounds like it was a really good time! :)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:29 AM »
In my opinion Moonlight madness was not attended well.  It made it nice because there was no lines.  We rode Lost River 8 times in a row and never had to leave the raft because no one else was in line.  I have never been so wet in my life.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
In my opinion Moonlight madness was not attended well.  It made it nice because there was no lines.  We rode Lost River 8 times in a row and never had to leave the raft because no one else was in line.  I have never been so wet in my life.

That makes it a lot of fun for those who did attend.  I love it when the park is fairly empty and you can ride over and over again.  About five years ago we came in October and rode Buzzsaw Falls five times in a row, then Lost River four times in a row.  I've never been so wet!  We then got on the SkyChase Balloons for about fifteen minutes to dry off. :D

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
^I love the days at the park when you've practically got the whole place to yourself. We went one time in the spring a couple years ago and there was only like five other people on the square when we got there. It was awesome. It's peaceful too because you can actually hear the birds and everything. It was fun.

Plus--more ride time!  ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »
^Unfortunately too many days like that are what get our coaster projects pushed back. Oh well, I kind of like to see the park have to experiment to stay competitive, it's better than seeing them go the way of plunking down rides.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
^That's true. It kind of saddens me to say but that was the last day like that. I've been times when they aren't too busy, but they still had a lot of people there. Branson is growing big time, and as Branson grows, more people will go to SDC in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm starting to get off topic. Back on topic. Any official word on attendance numbers for Moonlight Madness?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 10:07:54 PM »

May I ask which manager?  Was it Brad?
SWOOSH

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »
No...  It was one I had never met before.  He was really nice.  He even helped me with the rabbit problem I had.  Yes I let my 5 year old talk me into buying a bunny at the petting zoo.  I am a push over when it comes to my kids.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shorty

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
There was approximately 9,500 people for the three nights.  Monday and Tuesday being higher since the weather was nice, but Wednesday night was real slow with the threat of thunderstorms (which did not happen).  Overall it was considered a success.

sdcforever

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »
^So they were happy with the turnout?  Do you know what attendance numbers they were hoping for?

shorty

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
The hope was about 10,000 each night.  However, I didn't think that number was possible as most kids are/were back in school by then, plus being on a week night... Haven't heard whether it will be attempted again next year or not.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:44 PM »
I heard today that they averaged 4 to 5 thousand each night.  And they did consider it a success.  Whether they do it next year remains to be seen.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 09:22:23 PM »
If they do it next year, maybe they should try ending Kidsfest earlier and doing Moonlight Madness in early August. That'd make some people happier and more people would probably go since school wouldn't have started yet.