Author Topic: moonlight madness at Silver dollar City  (Read 15517 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: moonlight madness at Silver dollar City
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »
Understandably the SDC culture and fan base can withstand a revolutionary concept of having their park employees out of normal "costume" for a alternately themed event such as this.  My only concern is that when it comes to branding, you have to be careful. 

I wholeheartedly believe that HFE has thought this through and looked at all of the angles.  But the GP can be a surprisingly radical taste responder.  It would have been great to find out if there were focus groups to find out how high people value theme and branding at SDC or how something so "out of theme" would go over before just deciding to do it.

It's a bit like going to the Magic Kingdom and having your Haunted Mansion butler greet you in casual clothes just so they can set the tone for that evening's event to be "different."
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
Is it really any different then having the ride ops on the coaster wearing "elf outfits" during Christmas?
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:42 PM »
Hmmm...I'm not usually there to visit during Christmas.   

However elf costumes support the entire Christmas theme...that theme being "olde time Christmas."  But I see your point.  Especially if you dissect that electricity may not have reached the Ozarks by that point in the 1800's   ;)

I just hope that there is a guideline for the casual attire so that aside from nametags, everything looks homogonized. 

Ironically, I am visiting home the week of Moonlight Madness, I'll try to check it out.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
Well, looking at the pdf version of the operating hours schedule, it looks like those three days are usually closed for the transition between fests, so I think having a non-1880s themed 3-day event works fine, as it's advertised for a specific crowd (younger people/thrill ride fans). So it isn't like there will be a bunch of people coming there and being disappointed to find that the shows aren't running and what-not.

My sister and I are already planning a trip for the event!

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:01 AM »
I think making them wear khakis would be a better option.  Can you even buy jeans without holes in them anymore?
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
I think making them wear khakis would be a better option.  Can you even buy jeans without holes in them anymore?

:D Word.

I'm glad that shorts are not an option, though.  Sounds like a fun three days for all the thrill seekers out there.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
LOL!  Too funny Swoosh!   ;D

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
SDC announced today they will have the first ever "SDC Moonlight Madness" August 16, 17, and 18th. The park will be open from 4pm till 10pm.

The park will have a different feel on these evenings. Employees will be allowed to wear shorts, and park provided t-shirts. Contemporary Christian music will be playing all over the park. There will be no shows, this event is mostly about the rides.

Tickets will be $20.00 per person, I believe.

A couple of the rides, American Plunge, and Lost River, will be open for the first time at night.

The employees were really excited about this today, what do you guys think.
Just for clarification- the dates are Aug. 18, 19, & 20- according to SDC's website.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
SDC has released a little more info on Moonlight Madness.  Sounds like there will be some special deals on nighttime meals as well as back to school specials in select shops.  A little OT, but White Water will be open two extra days to coincide with Moonlight Madness (as I posted in the WW section); WW will be open the 18th & 20th from 11 AM to 4 PM, and you can get in for only 20 dollars.  With SDC open those days from 4 PM to 10 PM you can check out both parks in one day for only 40 bucks!  A pretty good deal! :)

DocSpeleo

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »
For those of you coming to Moonlight Madness. . . stop by the cave... I'm working Monday & Tuesday.  Wednesday I'll be there playing! YIPPEEE

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »
My daughters and I are going to be there for 2 of the days.  Just have not decided which 2 yet.  I am thinking tues and wed.  I will have to stop by the cave and look for you.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »
I had to sit through living la viva loca in echo hollow a few years ago and you are worried about three nights of jeans and t-shirts?
to be honost sdc has been on this sope for some time it has gone from the greatest theme park on the planet to quickly becoming just another amusment park when I was a kid it was all about the park and what few rides there were just extras now I cant remember the last time I watched the glass blowers or watched them making candy I think I am going to go in a few weeks and not touch a ride and just enjoy the park.
I tell ya I aint got no pants no-more....

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »
It's still OK to do that.  Just go and enjoy the scenery.  Take a stroll.  Watch the craftsman.  It's great we can still to do these things in this "amusement park".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
ya I know but I just wish my kids could see the park the way it was when I was a kid.
you should have seen my kids face when I told them about the diving mules,dugans diving bell and when we watch andy griffith I point out the guy in the darlings who was there in echo hollow before it turned into a broadway dance show and it was just good music.
I tell ya I aint got no pants no-more....

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
My to girls and I had a wonderful time at SDC for Moonlight Madness.  We went on Tues and Wed.  Had an great cave tour on Tuesday from DocSpeleo and got to say Hi to Copper at Fire in the Hole (which was broke down way too much on those 2 days).  Had an interesting talk with a manager from the park.  He said the River Battle is not the ride we were suppose to get.  He said that is the ride we are getting because of the economy.  He said what we were suppose to get was a coaster.  On another post someone had talked about the exchange program where they bring in Students from other countries to work for the summer.  I want to say that we ran in to one Chinese Girl (lois) that works for WW.  She was at SDC for wed night to just have fun.  Since I was there with my 3 and 5 year old I could not leave the 3 year old to ride roller coasters with the 5 year old.  Lois rode ride after Ride with my Daughter and had a blast.  I gave her this web address so if you ever Check it out Lois I want to say Thanks for making our Day a great one and I hope you come back next year to work.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey