Author Topic: moonlight madness at Silver dollar City  (Read 15513 times)

the insider

moonlight madness at Silver dollar City
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
SDC announced today they will have the first ever "SDC Moonlight Madness" August 16, 17, and 18th. The park will be open from 4pm till 10pm.

The park will have a different feel on these evenings. Employees will be allowed to wear shorts, and park provided t-shirts. Contemporary Christian music will be playing all over the park. There will be no shows, this event is mostly about the rides.

Tickets will be $20.00 per person, I believe.

A couple of the rides, American Plunge, and Lost River, will be open for the first time at night.

The employees were really excited about this today, what do you guys think.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: moonlight madness at Silver dollar City
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »
so this is $20 even if you have passes?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »
It's a neat little experiment, but I would be even more excited about it if it didn't cut into the purpose of CC. I guess the purpose of this event is really about garnering local tourists, though I could see this being packed out with youth groups just like the Young Christian weekend.

I don't think this really appeals much to me personally - I love SDC for it's charm and quality, and I don't really want to see it with all this modernity tacked on. I imagine it'll feel kinda like a big christian camp, or at least like just another theme park. That's not to say it's a bad thing though, I'm sure other ride lovers and kids will enjoy it.

Thanks for the tip, Insider.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »
Oh, I am TOTALLY going! I like SDC the way it is, but I'm also a big fan of thrill rides, especially thrill rides after dark, so this definitely is something that appeals to me. And the Plunge and Lost River after dark? AWESOME!

I, too, am curious to know if the $20 is also for season passholders.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »
I think it's a cool idea, but the employees should wear their normal park costumes.  No need to go into Six Flags mode.

Aren't they kind of competing with Celebration City by doing this?  CC will also be open on 2 of the 3 scheduled nights.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »
This is done at Disney to some extent as well, but it works well there.  The reason I cringe at this happening at SDC is the fact that they take their theming so serious....employees in shorts?!

The pessimist in me says this is a slippery slope... :-\
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:24:51 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

the insider

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »
season pass holders do not have to pay extra to get in, but i do not think bring a friend tickets will be valid for these nights.

As far as getting away from the theme with costumes for these 3 nights, i do not think it is a slippery slope towards these costumes becoming the norm. In fact managment really understands how our commitment to theme sets us apart from just about every other park in the country, and has been very strict about costumes and theme this year and they have recently stated they will be even more strict in the future

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »
That is good to hear. Thanks for clarifying. 

During my years as a "citizen," I was as militant as they came to theming.  Glad that perspective is still embraced!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

DocSpeleo

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:44:11 PM »
I heard today that the nights are going to be marketed as "Silver Dollar City Unplugged"
lol
interesting....  unplugged from the 1880's

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
I am a supporter of strict costume guidelines. I HATE to see citizens talking on cell phones and all that! I think that the dress down is like a “Casual Friday” for SDC employees. Since they are open later than the norm, it’s kind of nice to treat the employees too.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 06:21:15 PM »
I think it is a cool idea and it will bring in a lot of money for SDC for sure I'm guessing, with how much of a success Young Christian's Weekend always is. Riding in the dark sounds really fun but I don't really like how the citizens don't have to wear their costumes. I can live with it but it will look pretty bizarre to me. It will be nice for them though. Also, I wouldn't be concerned about this cutting into CC's theme. After all, it is only three nights.

I heard today that the nights are going to be marketed as "Silver Dollar City Unplugged"
lol
interesting....  unplugged from the 1880's

I think it'd just be better if they left it as Moonlight Madness. There isn't supposed to be anything to "unplug" back in the 1880's right?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:44:17 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
I totally vote no.  I will not be attending, and I don't like the idea - for either the shorts OR the contemporary music.  Say what you will about strict guidelines, but the slippery slope comment is valid.  These kinds of things seem to be appearing more and more for the park.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
I think it's an interesting idea.  I don't think there's a slippery slope effect at all.  These are just three nights for those who really like the rides to have their fun, and a few hours for employees to "let their hair down", so to speak.  SDC has always been good about sticking with their theme, and I don't think that will change any time soon.

I also really like the logo (see below, click to enlarge), which makes no mention of "Silver Dollar City Unplugged", however it does say '08, which must mean they have plans to make this an annual event.

For those who can't view the attachment below, here's a link to the website I got the logo from:
http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/you-should-know/default.aspx?id=68.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »
I'd like to go to this just to see what it is like but if its anything like Young Christian's Weekend I bet it will be packed. It may even be worse since there won't be any shows going on during the three days. I bet lines will be horrendous.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
They still could have themed these night time events. Maybe a raising the barn party or something that kept the employees out of shorts. Everything new event can be themed and it should be.