Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 127082 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #360 on: November 23, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
THANKS FOR THE VIDEO! It's been awhile since anyone has posted video or photos from their trips. We hope to be at the park in a couple of weeks if everything goes as planned.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 23, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »
That was nice to watch, HowDo!  Looking forward to the next one!  I've been to the park once when it almost empty - it's kind of magical.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:35 AM »
Thanks everyone! I do it for you all. I may not be the greatest video filmer, but its fun. The next one is downloading to YouTube, it is more like a lot of quick shots of stuff walking around the park. The end of it is funny, someone got in trouble.. Not me though. :-X
Live life like it's the last day!

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
My lady and I arrived at the park on Friday for our first time ever at OTC.  All I can say is "WOW".  From the moment we got in the gates we were really in awe.  I expected it to be good but there's nothing like being there.  We walked around the park and then to some shops and then decided to go to the Opera House for Dickens.  Man what a show!  Really did not anticipate THAT much quality.  The story, the set, live music, singing, acting, etc. etc. the whole production was top quality and spectacular.
We hit the train ride and this was our favorite part of the entire trip.  Goosebumps.  I will never forget this train ride.  What SDC is all about.

Walked around some more, when to the tree lighting which was really cool.  Stepping into Wilderness Church is always a good moment.  There was no late parade due to weather.  It was cold and sprinkling, but I must say it may have been the best time I've ever had strolling the park.  The lady and I walked around at night amongst all the lights and we felt like the town was ours.  There was no one there, and it was wonderful.  We left late with big smiles on our faces.

Got there today (sunday) at 1:00 and went down to the Christmas barn and planned to try our first apple dumplings then hit "It's a Wonderful Life".  Was disappointed to find that the apple dumpling place wasn't open yet...and when someone got there at 1:15 she said she had to get stuff set up then would open.  Well, 1:40 rolled around and the dumplings STILL weren't ready so we decided they did not deserve our business and went into the play.  This is my only complaint of the trip.  The park opens at 1:00, why can't you be open and ready by then?  It's afternoon for heaven's sake.  But it was a teenager and I suppose I did teenager things at that age too.  So I didn't get to try these famous dumplings...next time.

It's a wonderful life was good, not as good as Dickens but it was good.  (goes to show you the talent of SDC as most actors and the director for Dickens are SDC regulars).  Hit the Living Nativity--it served it's purpose.  Watched the lights parade and that was nice.  Wanted to go to the Pickers but it was packed with people; a few grumps gave us the stink eye for even trying to come in, so we decided to wait until summer.  Walked around, bought some Christmas gifts, froze our butts off and left.

It was cold.  But I'm used to it and it added to the "Christmas" theme.  Did not ride a single ride.  Also did not get to see the saloon show--seems as all the shows are at the same time--so it will have to wait until next time.  Not enough time for SDC!

Overall an impressive first trip to Old Time Christmas!  The Lady kept mentioning "next year".  yes!! ;D ;D
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »
nice trip..  yes all the shows are either at the same time, OR you cant get between them before the next one starts.. I am sure they do that on purpose..  scatters out people between all the shows...  Does make it real hard to see everything in 1 afternoon. (almost impossible in fact).

for sure have OTC designed as a multi-trip event..

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 25, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
Sounds like a great trip! Sorry you didn't get to see the Homestead Pickers.  It's much nicer in the winter when they play in the cabin than in the summer.  Different Experience!  I understand about the "stink eye".  I mentioned somewhere else that I almost got knocked down as I walked through the door.  Someone was blocking it so I couldn't get in.  See your show and leave!  There are hundreds of others that would also like to see the show.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »
Great review Preachin_Bill!! Did ya happen to see 2 people in coveralls? My wife & i were the only 2 that had them on, i think.. :D Never saw cheesehead57 either. :(

Had trouble uploading the 2nd video, it was at 80%, & we started watching the wifes footage & it froze! I knew i should of know better. >:(

Here is the wifes video that she put together if ya wanna see it. Enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DshrF3_BNE
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:58:41 PM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:11 AM »
VERY NICE! Thanks for posting.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 26, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
How do....I was by the Cabin wearing a big fox fur coat.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 26, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »
What did the fox say?  ;)

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
That's funny Junior! I needed that laugh today.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 28, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
Fox said....don't bite me Bonnie Jean (the mule pulling the carriage)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 28, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Ha! ;D

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
http://s772.photobucket.com/user/tim_m_2010/slideshow/branson

Thought I would give you all some pics.  

the weekend was basically good.  Unfortunetely, we didnt meet up with anybody. Was really lookin forward to it too. Paige told me that lots of us was at Homestay, but stopped short of telling me what rooms. Guess thats kinda good though. She really does have to keep some sort of privacy act.

Anyway it took about 7 hours to make a 3 hour trip down there on Friday. Kathy (wife) ended up getting sick in Waynesville and we had to make several stops along the way. Spent over an hour in Springfield because she was too sick to travel.
(OK though just blood sugar dropped too low real fast).  Ended up getting to Homestay about 1. She spent the rest of the day sleeping. Thank God she started feeling better about 5. We went to eat (Plantation steak for 2-not bad for the price), then went to Presleys. Great show as always. (Not sure if I will buy passes for Presleys next year. I think we will switch it up some). Back to Homestay afterwards. Kathy was pretty worn out by then.

Saturday off to SDC. Got there about 11. Very surprised, the lots was empty. Walked right thru the turnstiles, all the way to "Its A Wonderful Life".  Very few people in the park. We was like 20-30 in line for "LIFE".  When that show let out --- WOW, what a difference an hour makes. Park was so busy, couldnt walk hardly. We watched the last few minutes of Frosty. Went on to see the Live Nativity (Love a public place that still tells the greatest story of all). Anyway, we then headed up to Marys Springhouse for some Catfish (IMO a bit pricey and not much flavor, but not too bad). Then we hit the saloon show, watched the first parade, back to Homestay. Kathy is feeling pretty good still, but kinda gettin tired.  Thats OK though. I brought a plastic model of a 67 Mustang Fastback. I painted it green, and turned it in to an original Bullit mustang. I finished it up during Kathys downtime.

Its now Sunday night. We got back home about 2. Great trip home. about 3 hours. We brought the car this weekend, which gave us an AVG. MPG of 36. GREAT WEEKEND all-in-all. Its all over for 2013 now. Cant wait till March 22-24 2014 when it starts all over again.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:13:05 PM by qwed94 »
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »
Hope your wife is feeling better. Glad you were able to make the trip, and thanks for the photos!