Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 126954 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:58 PM »
I finally go tot meet duelist and his posse..  nice bunch of people,  we rode the train with them early,  but apparently "ma" missed the train because there was no mention of her..

since this was a "no festival" weekend there were very few shows/entertainment options...

We headed down to see the saloon show since we had not seen it for a couple of months...  NOPE 10:30 was cancelled, no reason just cancelled....  WELL FINE! we hit FITH which actually had a  lline, and then we started shopping/looking arounds and head for train..

rode the train, 1st round, done just in time to catch 11:30 salon show, so we hustled over there..........AND.......................wait for it.......................... YEP CANCELLED!!, this time we were told there was a "humidity" problem and the floor needed worked on...??  really.//  I am guessing that when it rained ealier in the day water got on floor and they were trying to dry it out..??  maybe?/  maybe not?/ 

Humidity problem sounds awfully like a leaky roof and wood stage buckled type situation. There's been persistant rain for several weeks now.

Good thing our family farm land is high land over in the delta. Our irrigation has been nill this year. That sure helps diesel costs. ;D Just north of our hunting land, 14 inches in the last week. As it stands, we don't know when we'll get to brush up the blinds, The L'anguille rises fast and drains slooooooooooooow.  And........ hoping like hades that our beans don't get fungus or rust. Bad news.

HikerDan

« Reply #271 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
My wife and I usually avoid visits to the city on Saturdays during the summer but I was looking at the entertainment schedule on the SDC website last week and saw that the Horse Creek band would be playing at the Gazebo on Saturday, not Sunday (our usual day to visit), and with the Pickers also playing on Saturday, not Sunday, we decided to make a quick trip to the city just to see a few sets from those two groups.

Got to the park early enough to see the Pickers from 9:30 to 10:00, and wow talk about convenience, Horse Creek began playing right at 10:00 over at the Gazebo.  We've always enjoyed listening to Butch and Larry over the years and personally wish SDC would put those guys on the stage more.  

Well it was a Saturday in August, so we didn't have any grand plans on riding any rides, but we did have an hour to kill before the Pickers at 11:30 and Horse Creek at noon. I wanted to merely take a peek at the Wilson Farm area of the park to witness the madness and sure enough it was swarming with kiddos back there. Hopefully all those younguns got to ride OR and the swing a few times as the lines were heavy early on.

I was also curious if PK was up and running on time on a Saturday, and upon arrival was actually a bit surprised that the chain was open and people were walking in for rides.  The ride must have just opened within minutes of our arrival as the waiting line was just at the stairway over the track. Alright!, lucky timing by us, we haven't gotten to ride PK much in the last few visits. We took the little extra time to get a ride in the front car, since we knew it would be our only ride of the day; love the PK up front.

A little complaint here: An old-timer fella, whom I don't think I've ever seen before, was operating the ride and on the mic for us folks in line and boarding the trains. He was more interested in trying to entertain all us folks around the boarding area than efficiently operating the ride.  Every fourth train or so he would ask the whole group if anyone there had a birthday today, and agonizingly a few did raise their hands while we were waiting, and when the birthday people were on the train, our emcee there would lead the entire congregation in singing happy birthday to them while holding up the train for the serenade to finish.  He was horribly inefficient with the opening and closing of the gates to board the ride, and the second train was usually waiting on the boarding train to be released before it could enter the station.  If SDC feels it's OK for its ride operators to jack around that much then they should just go ahead and run a third train on PK to keep 'em busy. After we finally took our one ride, the line of folks waiting was completely out of the main entrance to the ride and stretching down the asphalt hill. Best of luck riding that one folks!...and please don't raise your hand if it's your birthday.

The crowds were obviously getting fairly heavy through most areas of the park now, so we  took the quiet route through the center of the city up the spiral, flowered walkway and past Grandfathers Mansion. A young girl exited the mansion just as we were walking past and shouted, 'That place was weird!'

We crossed the swinging bridge, and were the only ones on it, so I had to jump around on it and cause my wife to bounce her way off of the bridge.  

I thought maybe we could catch a quick float through the Mine just before going to see the Pickers, but saw there was no chance of that happening as the train station was BUSY, and when the train is swamped the Mine is flooded with post-train riders.  

Now across the horse bridge and to the Candy Factory for some samples of brittle and our occasional bag of some variety of fudge or whatever strikes our fancy.  The air conditioning and smell of chocolate always seems so refreshing in the factory during the summer, and sometimes I'll linger a bit looking around.  

Off to the Homestead for the next show...and the Pickers were their usual entertaining selves.  Danny tried to get a young boy from Illinois to join them and play the rooster for 'Ghost Chickens in the Sky' but the lad was too shy, so the boy's father donned the rooster cap instead and did a laugh-out-loud job of roostering along with the Pickers. Danny gave the much deserving Illinois man a free CD from the band with that particular recording on the CD. And holy cow!, wouldn't ya know it, the Horse Creek band is ready to play again at the Gazebo just as the Pickers finished up at noon.

Butch and the guys had a blonde woman playing the fiddle with the band on Saturday. She played and sang some very good Bluegrass songs with the group and meshed very well with Larry on the mandolin. Very entertaining...thanks SDC! for bringing them together on that day. Butch does a great job as emcee for the group and really informs his audience of whats going on around the park and also informs on the festivals which will soon be happening in the city.

Well things were really getting hectic in all areas of the park, and I had a lawn to mow, a backyard beer to drink, and some burgers to grill, so we were off to the exit gates and the crowded parking lots a few hundred yards away.

It was a short but GREAT morning at the city!

We noticed today, Tuesday, that the Pickers will be playing all day on Sunday the 17th, probably because the park is closed mid-week, so we agreed to visit again on that day and hopefully get to ride some coasters as well.  Would like to catch the saloon show once more as well, as we've only seen Mean Murphy a single time this year.

See ya'll on Sunday!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:36:01 PM by HikerDan »

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
We also saw the young lady play with Horsecreek when we were there in May. She's supposed to play with them all the time now, at least Steve ( the bass player) told us. We like the Pickers too, always bring them WI. cheese. Bailey has a standing order for extra cheese to take home.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2013, 05:59:04 AM »
Great review HikerDan!
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »
nice review hikerdan,  sounds like most of our trips...  jump in see some shows, couple fo rides or so, and out before the crowd gets too bad.   also why we don't go on sat..

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »
Great review! Glad you had a good time :)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

DougFromTulsa

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
Hello, newbie here.  I actually joined last year some time, but I never seem to get around to writing post trips.  The family and I go to SDC several times a year -- we just love the place.

Friday, August 9th:
We left Tulsa around noon and arrived at SDC around 3:30.  We were concerned about some flooding on the way up, but we checked MODOT and everything was good -- and it was!  So, we made pretty good time. 

When we pulled into the parking lot, we noticed it did not seem that busy for a Friday, so we were excited.  Since we have the season parking pass, we parked in the preferred parking area (in one of the close spots) and started our 5 minute walk to the entrance. 

We brought some friends along with us (they were new to the city), so once we exchanged their vouchers for tickets, we entered the park.  Our first stop was at Eva & Delilah's... we just like to stroll through there and smell the cinnamon rolls.  We didn't buy anything since it was so late in the day, but again, we just like to look and smell everything.  I think I put on 5 lbs just walking in that place!

We then stopped by the cave and of course, they said it was flooded and only offering half-tours.  We FULLY expected this to happen.  We were really hoping the cave would dry out by our last day (Monday), but alas, mother nature had other plans.

Once in the park, we hit Thunderation a few times -- walked on every time.  We then took the kiddos back to the Grand Exposition where they rode "Dumbo", the frogs, tea cups, etc.  We stayed until about 5:45 before heading off to check-in at our hotel/condo located down Indian Point Rd. 

Once checked in at the hotel/condo, we went into Branson and ate at one of our favorite places -- Pizza World.  On the way, we noticed chairs out along  Shepard of the Hills.  We asked our waitress and she said "Oh, that's because of the Cruise.."  She went on to explain how 20,000 people descended on Branson to view the old cars and partake in a parade.  We had no idea.  We knew it was going to be a busy weekend.

Saturday, August 10th:
We know better, we stayed away.  We spent the time on Saturday taking the kiddos to the Butterfly Palace, then to Branson Landing and the Downtown area.  Was it ever busy!  Our waitress was right.  Not to mention that on our way, 76 was backed up for over 1.5 miles.  Looks like everyone was headed to SDC.  We heard someone later in the day say that SDC was expecting 24,000.  We have no idea if that actually happened.  But from the looks of the traffic, it is very possible.

We ate dinner at Joes Crabshack -- just because my dad wanted to eat there.  We have one in Tulsa, so we would have preferred something else, but he's in his 70's and cranky.  Sometimes you just have to suck it up and appease the parents.

After dinner, we walked around Branson Landing a little more then headed off to Ripley's -- battling traffic all of the way.  Then it was back to the hotel/condo where daddy had a beer and watched some NFL preseason football.

Sunday, August 11th:
We arrived at the park at 8:40 and again, exchanged our friend's vouchers for tickets.  We were pleasantly surprised to find the gates open already so we went in to the park and immediately to E&D where we ate Kalackis, cinnamon rolls, and turnovers.  Needless to say, everyone was happy.

Once we stopped by the cave (again to find it flooded), we went to "main square" where we took in the Pledge of Allegiance and flag ceremony.  We then decided to check what time the train was going to run.  At first it said "10:30", then was moved to "10:45", then to "11:00."  We decided we had time so we took a few trips on the flooded mine (just stayed on for two more rides).  Everyone loves that ride because of its simplicity and the fact that the animatronics are really cool to look at.  The last two times, I just sat and watched everything.  It never ceases to amaze me, as much as I have been on that ride, I always find something new -- some detail -- that I have never seen before.

We then took the kiddos over to Half Dollar Holler where they had fun on the carousel.  The net/bounce area was closed.  I suspect because it was wet from the previous night's rain.  We then jumped on the first train and took the kiddos for their "required" train ride. 

After the train, we made a stop by the Christmas shop and bought some ornaments, a cross, and a few other items.  Our 2 y/o is definitely a liability in that store.  She HAS to touch everything.

After that, we went over and road the Lost River of the Ozarks two times, took the kiddos over to Geyser Gulch where they had a great time in the "ball room".  I must admit, dad finds it fun to shoot those air cannons too!  After that, we went back over to the hamburger and hot dog places outside of LRotO and grabbed a burger and a couple of hot dogs.  Wife and I had the Super Nachos -- they are big.  Neither of us could finish them.

The kiddos then went over to the Grand Exposition where they rode the roller coaster, butterflies, tea cups, "Dumbo", and swings.  Dad and mom like to go there too because while we do like the big rides, some of those are fun for us!

We left the park around 4:00.  We finished our night with some swimming at at the hotel/condo and dinner at Outback Steak and Oyster.

To sum up the day, the park was "busy", but really not bad.  It was sort of odd because while there were a lot of people in the park, the ride waits really weren't too bad.

Monday, August 12th:
After checking out of our hotel/condo @ 8:30, we went over to the park.  And again, after exchanging our vouchers, we went to E&D's for breakfast.  Again, we had the assorted items: turnovers, kolackis, ham and cheese rolls, chocolate covered cinnamon rolls, etc.  We just love eating there. 

As usual, we checked the cave and still flooded -- we knew it would be since it rained every day were there there, at least some point in the day.

After the flag ceremony, we went to Fire in the Hole.  My daughter's friend that came along with us found it quite scary and huddled with her grandmother afterwards.  My daughter and I went on it another time -- we noticed that there was a LOT of water.  People were walking out soaked -- as did I.  I never really had that before.  I asked one of the guys running the ride and he said "We can turn the water on or off.  Today we have it on."  Not really sure what that meant, maybe someone can explain that.  Sure they've always had water, but the amount was surprising.

After FitH, we headed over to the American Plunge.  Kids loved it, and of course, we bought a photo.  We purchased it on the USB drive, so while it costs a little more now, it saves about $8 for every subsequent photo.  I don't honestly know if it was a good deal or not considering we don't buy the photos too often, but it is nice to know what it will be greatly discounted in the future should we decide.

After American Plunge, we went and did some more shopping.  We stopped into Hillcreek Pottery.  We like the place.  Some of the stuff is quite expensive, but really nice.  After that, we headed to the kiddo area (Grand Expo).  While waiting in line for the frogs, a strong wind came through, temperatures dropped about 10 degrees, the clouds darkened and thunder started rumbling.  I checked my phone and found it was about to POUR, so we picked up the kiddos and tried to find a place that we could take cover.  The rain/deluge started about 5 minutes later, around 11:00 or so.  We were lucky and were able to huddle under the awning of Heritage Hall.  Once the rain stopped, we decided to call it a day and head back to Tulsa as the radar showed more rain coming within the hour or so. 

On the way out, we stopped by the blacksmith and Hazel's.  At Hazel's, the kids got to watch them craft a pitcher.  It just amazes me every time I watch them work with glass.  Really cool stuff.  Stopped by E&D on the way out.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any chocolate chip cookies for some reason (it was around noon!), so the kiddos settled for the white chocolate/macadamia nut ones. 

And of course, the final stop was the Ozark Marketplace where I picked up some Hot Dill pickles, and the kiddos and wife picked up a couple of shirts.

All in all, a really good trip.  Our friends had a really good time.  As usual, it was not long enough.  It was a little busier than we expected on Monday, but still not bad.  We were at Disneyland earlier this year, and I must say, while you can't compare the two parks because they are so different, our level of excitement and the memories we have with SDC are actually higher/better. ... 

We will be back in the fall and around Christmas -- our favorite time.  In our third trip this year, we still have yet to try the new pizza place, and a coke float.  We have those slated for Fall and/or Christmas.

Maybe next time we are there, we will meet up with some of you. 

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
After the flag ceremony, we went to Fire in the Hole.  My daughter's friend that came along with us found it quite scary and huddled with her grandmother afterwards.  My daughter and I went on it another time -- we noticed that there was a LOT of water.  People were walking out soaked -- as did I.  I never really had that before.  I asked one of the guys running the ride and he said "We can turn the water on or off.  Today we have it on."  Not really sure what that meant, maybe someone can explain that.  Sure they've always had water, but the amount was surprising.

Thanks for the Trip Review, enjoyed reading your post.
When we rode FITH in July, we noticed the LARGE amount of water too, I can't ever remember a time that we walked out so soaked. I think maybe its the amount of water that they can control. There is always water, its part of the breaking system for the ride (correct me if I'm wrong).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:01:53 PM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
wow!! sounds like a good weekend..

there were a few of us there this weekend also..  next time you go , check in on the "meet up" thread..  we love to meet new members...

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
Good review Hiker Dan.  I too got very frustrated with the PK operator who kept wanting to sing Happy Birthday every third or fourth train.  Unload, load and move the train out is what I say. Keep the line moving!

Also enjoyed your review Doug from Tulsa.  Sounds like you had a good time despite the rain. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
The happy birthday thing is great...but please limit that line activity to once an hour or so.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »
Now THATS a review DougFromTulsa!! ;D
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »
They could just as easy do the b-day thing while they are loading the cars, couldn't they?

OR would that be too much "multi-tasking"????   LOL.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »
I think the ride op wanted everyone's undivided attention.  Thus, hold the train hostage for a bit.

STEPHEN D

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
My son turned two today, so we braved SDC on a Saturday!  I knew it would be busy, but it was packed!  With the pleasant temps and people trying to squeeze in one more trip before school starts, it shouldn't be a surprise that the lines were longer than I have ever seen them on most rides.  The line for the train was out if the station and all the way up the hill!  I am relieved to find out I still got the green light for OR, however it was "temporarily closed" most of the day.  PK line was out of the building and most of the way down the hill.  I heard several other park guests grumbling about OR and the lines elsewhere.
Little man got a birthday ribbon.  We rode the frogs and insects more times than I can count.  My daughters rode the kids roller coaster, little boats, big boat, TNT twice, FITH, & big swings.  We had the geese eat out of our hands at the petting zoo.  We ate more frozen lemonade and root beer floats than necessary.  Lunch at Crossroads Pizza was a very nice break.  We had a blast shooting foam ball cannons and I even shot one of the employees who was yelling at everyone for throwing balls.  We were there from 9:30 until 4 and although the kids didn't want to leave, they were all asleep not much after leaving the parking lot.  Even though we didn't ride near as many rides as usual, it was another very fun-filled day with my family at SDC.