Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 126941 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
I'd like to see them put the sign back up about the reason you hear the horses: ie that the posse chasing the Baldknobbers caused the bridge to collapse.  I think they had the date February 7, 1882?
I'm Your Huckleberry

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
I'd like to see them put the sign back up about the reason you hear the horses: ie that the posse chasing the Baldknobbers caused the bridge to collapse.  I think they had the date February 7, 1882?

I'm all for it. Seems kinda silly without that sign. Also, I'm for a more historically accurate portrayal of the Baldknobbers. Who they were, and who they weren't. A lot of new guests to the park assume that they are associated with the KKK and that just isn't true at all.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
Howdy!!!! I'm Back! I have been absent for several reasons (see the thread on WITC-where in the city 2012 for details) but I am back!

My wife , 1.5 yr old daughter, and I headed out to the area on Friday afternoon for a quick weekend, and had a great time.

We were supposed to have my parents there to help with toddler duty, but my pops went back into the hospital (battled cancer liver, colon, heart attack, sleep disorders...basically everything was wrong, but is hanging in there) but is getting better slowly, so it was just my immediate family, the 3 of us.

We headed to Springfield first for the whole purpose to our trip, we had to pick up our race packets at Ridge Runner Sports (more info on this in a minute). We headed to The landing first, and caught the end of the Talent Show put on by one of the country stations while perusing the shops. We hit up the Olive Oil shop and the Salsa /Hot Sauce shops for samples, while visiting other stores, and as usual, got out without spending a dime. I did see a man who might have been scamming people asking to break a large bill....got turned down, so he headed towards the parking lot, but then saw him again later in another section... :-\ Gonna happen anywhere that people are though.

Headed to get food and unfortunately had to grocery shop at the Wal Mart on 76...silly me, their grocery was, umm...petite to say the least, but we got our necessities, but cannot wait for Jubilee to return. Made dinner and turned in early because...

We were entered in the Dash to the Splash 5K @ White Water, we got there early, warmed up, and ran the race at 730am. It was MC'd by Pete Herschend, which provided for comic relief, and a heartfelt thanks for attending to all of us who entered. The race ran the perimeter of the WW lot, and then the perimeter of the Red Roof Mall (x2) and up 76 to the White Water and back into the WW lot. I pushed a stroller, and finished in a descent time (I am a former NCAA runner, so anything lately is slow!) but my wife won her age, and was 2nd overall.  Perk to the race was a ticket to WW for a day, so thats what we did on a whim!

My first WW visit was 32 yrs after both my birth, as well as the park opening, so I was eager to see what was the place all about. We mostly corralled my little one in the kiddie pools, but were able to hit a slide or two (yes I did the big ones!)

We headed to SDC for the afternoon, but due to rain, most things were closed during our time there, followed by Reed Springs Pizza, and Andy's on the Strip.

Hit up SDC again today, and rode, and browsed shops...but unfortunately not enough hours are in the day to do what we have!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
Rube, sounds like a great weekend..  got to do a little bit of everything it sounds like.

Low attendence counts over the weekend, 8,000 on friday, 9500 on  sat, 6500 on sunday..

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2013, 07:12:19 AM »
I was there both Friday and Sunday. Yesterday was nice. But I was there early and u think the weather moved in after I left.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
We did not get wet at all! went to get cleaned up after White Water (which closed right after we left due to lightning)...rained when we were eating lunch, didn't even realize it, drove home and missed all of it!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »
Glad to have you back, Rube! We love seeing your comments, and glad to have the Where in the City game back, too! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
I went yesterday to SDC and the biggest complaint about Outlaw Run that I heard was run checks after park opening.  We went directly to it like most people do and had to wait an hour before anyone got to ride.  There didn't seem to be a problem with the ride just mandatory run checks for precaution.  Everyone was talking about why they didn't do these run checks an hour or so before opening so it would be ready to ride at chain drop.  On this same note we went to FITH at around 11 that same morning and they were already adding another train.  We also went last week and the same thing happened.  That's a great idea but isn't there enough planning to realize they might need this train at the start of the morning or soon thereafter?  Would it not be easier to take a train off than to add one?  I got to admit it doesn't take that long but it does take time and that is annoying to the people that are waiting in line.  Heard a lot of complaints on that!  At 1 in the afternoon could walk right on RB and at the same time had a 45 minute wait at LR with everything running smooth.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
Why is it that every time I plan a trip to Branson my wife has to get sick and in up in the hospital?  She really is sick now that she knows
 the whole suprise of this trip was to take her to see Tim McGraw.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that oldsdcer.  Hope she's better soon.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
My wife and I went to SDC on Monday.  No crowds at all.  It was enjoyable talking to the employees.  Outlaw Run was down, upset people all around.  I also noticed several food locations closed.  One concern even on a slow day is the conditions of the bathrooms.  Many are pretty sad.

pintrader

« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
I myself have always thought they did a great job on the bathrooms.  Seems like they are always very clean.  Maybe someone or a group had just come in and trashed it at the time.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »
^^^^^
I agree. I have never seen the bathrooms trashed at all. Maybe in the rain or very cold. There may be paper towels thrown around, but still basically clean.

Sorry to hear that your bathrooms was not in ship-shape.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
Have you tried out the NEW bathrooms yet?
http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/2013/06.14/
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2013, 12:20:56 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Swoosh. I've wondered how the building looks...it looks good. Appears to fit in well with the surroundings.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"