Author Topic: "Lost" SDC Photos from the early 1980's  (Read 8313 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
"Lost" SDC Photos from the early 1980's
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Well, friends, we have almost made it through the winter, and SDC will be opening for the 2013 season in just a short period of time. Previously during this off season, I've presented some old photos pulled from SDC published guidebooks, and I wanted to do it one more time before rope drop on March 15. So the series present here are photos from the early 1980's, culled from the booklet "From Silver Dollar City A Place to Remember." How many of you remember when the attractions on park held line entertainment? Anyone remember the Boxing Show, or did you play as kids at Tom Sawyer's Landing or at the old petting zoo located where Riverblast is now? How about that time your family got a tintype made outdoors at the wagon located where Half Dollar Holler is now? Do your remember the old Dockside Theater and the River Rat Rowdies Dixieland show? How about the great jig dancing by Ozark Ike at the old gazebo? Well over a dozen photos are presented here for you of many of the "lost" attractions no longer at SDC. Hope you enjoy this last trip for a while back to the SDC of your child hood...or maybe your parents child hood! Enjoy all these photos while you can, as I will "purge" my Flickr site the week that SDC opens for the new season.  You will enjoy the photos more if you click on them to enlarge, and read the caption below. Please let me know if you like the stuff presented here, and if  you do, I'll pull more of this stuff out of my archive from time to time for you to look at.   http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:39:50 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: "Lost" SDC Photos from the early 1980's
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
as always junior, another great set of pics. I really like the view in echo hollow, interesting to see the changes it has seen, and yet buildings look primarily the same..

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
Great stuff.

Hollwood

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:02 AM »
Wagon Works Barn... You mean Carousel Barn... That is where the Carousel use to be before the petting zoo days. It's current location in HDH is location #3
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:25:49 AM by Hollywood »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:46:04 AM »
Wagon Works Barn from 1977 to about 1982 or so, then called the White River Warehouse for a time after that, then known as the Carousel Barn some time after that. The wagon maker that used to have his shop in a covered area on the Flooded Mine side of the former woodcarver building (now Christmas Hollow) was relocated in 1977 to a covered area on the side of the Wagon Works Barn (side where the hot dog stand is today) for a few years, probably up to about 1979, then the wagon making was phased out as a SDC craft shop. I think the building was the first "special events" facility on park. It's the same building that's always been there, no matter what it has been called or used for. The carousel was first placed inside the building and kids leather and paper crafts were in there, too. The building was used for a few years as an extension to Tom Sawyer's Landing. The carousel was put into storage, then refurbished, and now the carousel is located at Half Dollar Holler, placed outside in a covered area. As the park has grown, and as time marched on, it has been musical chairs, with shops being moved to various areas depending on popularity, traffic flow, SALES levels, and so on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:55:09 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »
Sweet pics!!
Especially liked the 1983 SDC FITH Bucket Brigade pic. I miss that, it was alot'a fun.
Live life like it's the last day!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
Always a treat to look thru all your photo's Junior! Thanks for sharing with us. I have fond memories of the old Petting Zoo and the Ballroom in TSL.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
Sweet pics!!
Especially liked the 1983 SDC FITH Bucket Brigade pic. I miss that, it was alot'a fun.

Of course, they had to do something back then, because you could wait in line for over an hour to ride FITH.

Yanno, if SDC has an official historian and archivist position, they should offer it to Junior. If they don't, they should create one and give it to Junior!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
Historian would be junior. Archivist would be Rube.....

I'm trying to figure out what I could be. Maybe consierge or tour guide or something like that :P

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the complement...but there are others who were part of the company long before me, and one of them should get first shot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:05:41 PM by Junior »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:06:27 AM »
I could sit and look at your pictures all day!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Grndghtr 2 Past SDC Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:28:04 AM »
Historian would be junior. Archivist would be Rube.....

I'm trying to figure out what I could be. Maybe consierge or tour guide or something like that :P

Hello.  Per your previous statements about an SDC Archivist etc., is there such a person at SDC?  I am a former SDC employee, summer of 92.  Worked in the Riverside Ribhouse.  My grandfather, Roscoe (Rusty) Moore was at that same time the Bread Maker in the mill.  He loved the SDC guests & loved making & showing everyone how to make the Indian Bread....the round loves of bread he made every day.  Well, he is now passed away, in 2006.  But for some reason tonight I was thinking about SDC & him & wanted to pull out my old SDC VHS Tape that I believe I bought in the park that summer of 92 or maybe it was bought an earlier year.  My grandpa is one of the featured speakers in the tape.  The tape starts out with pics & the narrator telling the story of Marvel Cave.  Well, I can NOT find my tape anywhere!!!  I am just sick over this!  That tape was always my way down memory lane.  I believe I loaned it to a family 2 yrs ago that was planning a Branson trip.  But they just moved May 1st & when I helped them, they threw out all their VHS tapes.  I have a STRONG feeling my tape was in that bunch.  How can I get a replacement.  This is NOT a home movie.  This was a tape that would have been sold in the park.  Like I said, my grandpa was on there, Terry Sanders is on there, Danny Eakin the Strolling Minstrel is on there.  Can you help me with this?  Who can I call/talk to to try to buy another copy or do any of you have a copy that would be willing to help me make a copy of the video????  I am on FB as well at Laura Moore n Markayla.  I have also attached my email to my account with this site as well.  I look forward to hearing back from anyone on this page with some help.  I am so sad/mad that I have lost my tape.  Praying someone can help me!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:12:48 AM »
Try ebay and Amazon. Both auction/store sites may be good place to look. I had one of those tapes, too. Don't know right now if I even still have it. Most videotapes were tossed out or sold a yard sales as my family made the move to DVD.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
Granddaughter: Terry Sanders might be a way to find out about the video. He's on Facebook; try looking him up and/or try asking on this page: https://www.facebook.com/TerrysTourGuide

He's really good at answering people.

Grndghtr 2 Past SDC Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
Hello All!  I want to express my thank you to each of you for reading my original post about my lost SDC VHS tape.  I can't begin to tell you how my heart is moved!  One person from this site did respond to me directly & let me know that they do indeed have a copy of the tape which is music to my ears of course!!!!  I am going to stay in contact with that person as a last resort. 

The night that I posted here, on this site, I did send a message to SDC directly.  I also DID track down Terry Wayne Sanders via Facebook & I sent him a FB message asking for help as well.  To my utter amazement, SDC sent me an email yesterday!!!!  They told me that they have a copy of the tape & they are actually working on making DVDs of the tape.  When they have them, they WILL send me a DVD!!!!  When I read the email from them, I was in tears!!!!  Then, this morning, when I woke up, I had a FB message from Terry Wayne Sanders, aka SDC HomerLee!!!!  His message was like sunshine as well!!!  He told me that he DID remember my grandparents & was tickled to have had me bring up those memories.  He told me that he DID talk with SDC & had them working on it for me!!!  He asked me for my address as well so that he could make sure I get a copy.  So now I am pretty well covered....between Terry Wayne Sanders &/or SDC, someone will be sending me a DVD.  But like I said, if for some reason I do not get a DVD, I will get back in touch with the person here on this site about the tape they have.  In closing, I just want to say that I am so happy to be RE-REMINDED of BRANSON & who I know Branson folks to be!!!!  I now live in Madison WI & to have be re-reminded of the heart, soul & spirit of Branson & SDC it just makes me miss it sooooo much more!  Thank you again!!!