Author Topic: 2013: ThuNderaTion's 20th anniversary  (Read 8577 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
2013: ThuNderaTion's 20th anniversary
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »
If anyone mentioned it lately I missed it, but TNT opened in 1993. It's my favorite of the modern coasters.

It's time to spruce the old gal up with a good refurb and overhaul, in my opinion.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2013: ThuNderaTion's 20th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »
Nice catch KB..

Happy Birthday TNT<<

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
TNT and I are the same age...
Exactly what day was the first official ride on it?
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
Wow!! 20 years! Sure is funny how fast 20 years can go by.
Happy B'day TNT!! :)
Live life like it's the last day!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »
I remember riding it the summer that it was brand new...can't believe it's already been 20 years...
Colorado SDC Fan

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
Can't believe 20 years have come and gone. I remember being there for the opening in 1993. Dad & I still have our collectors tin mugs from the opening. The wait to get on was insane. It zig-zagged ALL the way up to the top and past the magic show!
Now 20 years later, Dad & I will be standing in line for SDC's new wooden coaster, Outlaw Run.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
I'll look for a date tonight Tiff.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »
Can't believe 20 years have come and gone. I remember being there for the opening in 1993. Dad & I still have our collectors tin mugs from the opening. The wait to get on was insane. It zig-zagged ALL the way up to the top and past the magic show!
Now 20 years later, Dad & I will be standing in line for SDC's new wooden coaster, Outlaw Run.

That is really cool for you and your dad!  I mean really, really cool!  I hope the two of you have the greatest time.  And you have collector tins?  I'm really, really jealous.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »
Happy Birthday to TNT this year! :) It was my first roller-coaster ever (if you don't count Fire-in-the-Hole) and I will always have fond memories.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »

That is really cool for you and your dad!  I mean really, really cool!  I hope the two of you have the greatest time.  And you have collector tins?  I'm really, really jealous.

Oh yeah, Dad & I will have a great time. He's the only one who will ride roller coasters with me, My mom won't go near any of them, and my Wife won't go on anything that goes upside down.
About the Collectors Tins, I have posted pictures of it on here somewhere, I'll have to find where, and I'll post the link.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »
WOW. I never thought about TNT being 20 this year.  My story about TNT is also my sons. Meaning, TNT was the very first "big boy coaster" he ever rode.  I tried getting him on a few coasters at SFSL, but he was too short. First time to SDC in 93, they let him on. My Son loved it so much.  He was 5 years old, and very short for his age. Now he is 25, normal height, build like a panzer. and a coaster fanatic.  I am trying to coax him in to going to SDC with his Mom & I on the 23-24 of March so we can ride Outlaw Run together (for the first time).
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »
Happy Birthday to TNT this year! :) It was my first roller-coaster ever (if you don't count Fire-in-the-Hole) and I will always have fond memories.

That was my first roller coaster too, because I don't think Runaway Ore Cart really counts...

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 01:00:19 AM »
I'll look for a date tonight Tiff.

I think I found it at http://rcdb.com/220.htm. Does April 10th sound about right?

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=1972.0

The above link should take you to the page where I posted 3 pictures of my TnT tin mug that we purchased when the ride opened.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »

That was my first roller coaster too, because I don't think Runaway Ore Cart really counts...

:o *gasp* How did I forget the Runaway Ore Carts?? That makes TNT my first "big girl" coaster ;) (thanks qwed).
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"