Author Topic: Anybody left?  (Read 5074 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Anybody left?
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
Now that Peter Engler has passed away, are the Herschend brothers the only Branson/SDC "personalities" left from the Beverly Hillbillies episodes that were filmed at the City?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody left?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
Candy maker June Ward was the stand in actress for Ellie Mae (Donna Douglas) and she is alive and kicking at the candy factory! I'd have to review some of those episodes to tell you who else might still be around.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
Good Question, and good reason to HAVE to watch the episodes again huh?

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
Good Question, and good reason to HAVE to watch the episodes again huh?

Like you need a reason...  ;)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:57:04 PM »
The violin lady?  June, Judy, something like that?  The very friendly lady that plays the violin.  She's been mentioned on here before.  Did she have any part in the Hillbillies?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »
Violet Brumley Hensley was not to my memory in the Beverly Hillbillies episodes. She was in the Nat. Geo magazine around the same time as the rest, and was with mr green jeans in a few episodes, but no Bev. Hill.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
Ms. Hensley is a SDC icon. She has been involved with the fall crafts fair since the very first one in the early/mid 60s. She is from Arkansas, and here in her home state she is viewed as a living legacy. She has been featured in many media articles over the years. Her time is running short. I strongly encourage you to visit with her if you have the chance. Talk to her about her fiddles, shake her hand, get your picture taken with her. I fondly remember her from my days of working at SDC. I had a conversation or two with her, she is a lovely woman. I don't think she was involved in the Beverly Hillbillies episodes, but she indeed is a SDC legend.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
Thanks Junior, I was pretty sure that she was not on the show, but I don't know them all by heart...but I know them pretty well!

I w able to be at Violet's birthday party a few years back, I talked with her for a while, she definitely has spunk!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »
I don't know what is planned for 2013, but as of mid-December, 2012, the SDC Hospitality House was still selling copies of the 2010 released DVD of the SDC Beverly Hillbillies episodes. I have my copy!

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
I bought a pair of Violet Hensley's carved wooden spoons this fall. They are one of my treasures!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »
Violet Brumley Hensley was not to my memory in the Beverly Hillbillies episodes. She was in the Nat. Geo magazine around the same time as the rest, and was with mr green jeans in a few episodes, but no Bev. Hill.

She was mentioned in the Beverly Hillbillies, then they showed a short clip of her playing the fiddle and her daughter playing the fiddlesticks. It was when Jed was showing Ms. Hathaway around SDC.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »
Violet is the sweetest little lady you'd ever want to meet. She was kind enough to let me sit in with her and her grandson a couple times. :D