Author Topic: ECC visits SDC and CC  (Read 3727 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
ECC visits SDC and CC
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:15:33 PM »
The European Coaster Club paid a visit to both SDC and CC recently. 54 Europeans spent an entire day at SDC which included one of SDC's famous luncheons and ERT on Powderkeg.

From their comments, they really enjoyed the park. Read them here -> http://www.coasterclub.org/trips/reports/2008/AA2008/day06/
CC comments are on day 5. It sounds like they really enjoyed it as well, though the ride op's on Wildcat were acting like dicks. That's probably the first time I've heard complaints about Herschend employees.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ECC visits SDC and CC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Wow, sounds like they had a great time. I wonder what the park fed them for lunch because almost every comment said something about how great the lunch was.

One comment said that ride ops kicked kids off Thunderation because they had already rode. I've never heard of anything like that at SDC before...I wonder if the person was mistaken for what really happened.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

DocSpeleo

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »
haha I thought this comment was interesting....

"...... with the operators allowing us to film with the camcorders taped to our hands... should make for good footage for the forthcoming DVD! ...."

DocSpeleo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »
Here's one more thing that does irritate me...

"Only bad comment was that ride operations could be loosened up a bit. Saw kids getting thrown out of empty seats on Thunderation just beacuse they had already ridden."

If there isn't anyone waiting for your seat I think you should be allowed to stay .... esp on Thunderation with its regularly short lines now..

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »
^I think it depends on the ride ops.  I've had it both ways.  When there's no one in line we've been allowed to stay on the ride sometimes, but other times we've been told that we have to get off and go back through the queue.  This has happened at both SDC and SFStl.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »
^I think it depends on the ride ops.  I've had it both ways.  When there's no one in line we've been allowed to stay on the ride sometimes, but other times we've been told that we have to get off and go back through the queue.  This has happened at both SDC and SFStl.

This is true. There seems to be a chain-wide policy set up against re-rides without going through the line again, but sometimes it's not always followed through when there's only a handful of people and it's late at night. Wildfire's ops sometimes let people line-up at the exit after riding so that they can run in again to fill empty seats.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
I asked about this policy change for this season.  I was told that at a park somewhere else a kid was allowed to ride over and over again and he had to go to the hospital because he passed out because of brain swelling.   I do not know if the story is true but this is why they have the new rule.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »
I asked about this policy change for this season.  I was told that at a park somewhere else a kid was allowed to ride over and over again and he had to go to the hospital because he passed out because of brain swelling.   I do not know if the story is true but this is why they have the new rule.

Some believe roller coasters can cause brain injuries, however scientists have found that they don't.  A slightly more common hazard is people being harmed or even dying after riding a coaster due to previously undetected heart ailments.  Here's an article in which scientists say roller coasters are safer than driving (which isn't really a shocker, since many activities are safer than driving, including riding in an airplane):
http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2002/10/16/rollercoasters_021016.html

Back on topic, it wouldn't surprise me if they made people go back through the queue just to be on the cautious side.  And I can see why this policy might annoy some people, including the members of the ECC.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
well just think about that and then think what happens to those Guinness Book of World Record holders who ride for hours and days and weeks at a time.....