Author Topic: ThuNderaTion's 15th  (Read 4390 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
ThuNderaTion's 15th
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »
ThuNderaTion has now been apart of SDC history for 15 solid years. Over time, much of it's original meaning has been lost, but the ride itself is still very popular. The theme is that a group called the Gumbo Gang is trying to start up the old J&P (Jack and Peter) Mine again, but as with all SDC characters, their eccentricity and clumsiness leads them to build a massive mine train roller coaster. Or something like that...

Anyway, anyone have and good memories about it? It's been mentioned before that there may have been a 3rd helix originally planned just before the brakes - and clarification on this?

sdcforever

Re: ThuNderaTion's 15th
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
I don't know anything about the 3rd helix, but I do have great memories.

The first time I rode it was when it first opened (I was ten).  I thought it was one of the coolest coasters ever!  (I still think it's really fun and ride it at least once every visit).  The helix blew my mind, but I must admit I was so disappointed that the final drop wasn't really a drop, just a slight downward curve.  I still wish they had made that a steep drop, but oh well.  When they allowed people to ride backwards on it, I couldn't believe it.  What a great idea!  It was scary the first few times.  Now when I ride it backwards I have every turn and slight drop memorized.  That may sound boring to some, but there's something comforting about getting on a ride that is so familiar.  Plus, it's great to see Inspiration Tower when you're on the lift hill!  :)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
^What's really fun is riding backwards with your eyes closed! You may look pretty stupid to the people behind you (who are actually in front of you) but it is cool to have your eyes closed but you still know what is going to happen.

I don't know how old I was when I first rode it and I've never heard anything of a third helix.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

DocSpeleo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »
Anyone know the story of the plan to put Thunderation into the cave?  When it enters the building it was supposed to go even further down and into a cave passage way.  It's good that it didn't because Thunderation has caused a lot of breakdown in the cave right behind the Devil's Stonepile.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
Where is the Devils Stonepile? Is it near the Mammoth room?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »
Anyone know the story of the plan to put Thunderation into the cave?  When it enters the building it was supposed to go even further down and into a cave passage way.  It's good that it didn't because Thunderation has caused a lot of breakdown in the cave right behind the Devil's Stonepile.

I've heard that but I wonder if that is just a wisetale. The Herschend's would never agree to interfere with nature like that.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08:59 PM »
The devil's stone pile is right behind the tower in the Cathedral Room.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
I did finally quip out a little article. http://www.sdcfans.com/usrArt-entry.php?id=4

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »
I remember my best friend's class being involved in some way or another with the design, marketing etc. for Thunderation when he was going to then Southwest Missouri State U.  He knew the layout and facts way before the general public.  I think they even had a small mock of the final version in his class.  I will have to ask him about that, because it seems as most attractions are done almost completely in house now, on a semi secret basis.  I didn't think about it at the time, but that would have been a pretty cool class.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »
^That would've been amazing! I'd love that!