Author Topic: Oliver North  (Read 5064 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Oliver North
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
This might need to be flagged as a sticky topic, but am I the only one surprised that Oliver North will be doing a book signing at SDC on Veterans Day weekend? Whether you love him or hate him, there is no doubt that he is a controversial figure. I am surprised that the City would invite controversy like that.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver North
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
I saw the announcement and was very surprised.! As "conservative" as branson is......... ??? ??? ???

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
He has been at SDC before.  My parents met him there and had pictures made with him.  They even got an autographed copy of the book he had just written at the time.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:31:33 AM »
I am really surprised they would invite him.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
Good crowd for North tonight. $25 a book to meet him ... I'll post a pic later

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
Silver Dollar City had a picture of him posted on their Facebook. It seems like it was all smiles. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
I saw that pic..  Branson really played up the deal with oliver north being in town for Veterans week

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
The Oliver North visit isn't really a big deal in the whole scheme of things. To me, it goes back to the whole "Not in Mrs. Mary's Time" discussion we often have on this forum.

What disappoints me the most, however, is that I contacted SDC through both their Facebook page and through their website, and I kindly and respectfully expressed my opinion. To date, I have never received a response. I bought four season passes this year, and I would have at least appreciated a "thank you for your opinion" response. I am not disappointed in the City for inviting North, but I am disappointed in the City for apparently dismissing my opinion. This is the first time in 30 years that I can honestly say I am disappointed in Silver Dollar City.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
I am not condoning any actions, but I am a history teacher, and I do somewhat agree with both sides on this issue. He did do some questionable things, but what I would pose to my students is, was North a fall guy/ scapegoat for his superiors? Should Reagan have been forced to testify? He did shred and falsify documents and accepted illegally a security system for his house, the basis of the three charges on which he was convicted.

I don't like to mix politics with pleasure, but it was veteran's weekend, and he was in fact a very decorated Marine that does deserve to be commended for his service, The line of people waiting to meet/ get an autograph from him was in fact making comments "not to bad for someone who was basically kicked out of the military" and similar resentments.

I stood and watched, took a photo or two, and that's it!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
There were no book signings by any authors "in Miss Mary's Time." The entire 7 years I worked there in the 70s/80s, I never heard of such a thing. That said, time moves on, and a theme park, any theme park, will do what it can to attract a crowd. As we've mentioned before, a theme park is essentially a shopping mall with shops and restaurants, the rides and shows help pull in more of a crowd. What is Mall of America? It's a differently themed park, isn't it? So I understand when the PTB allow North to come in for a signing, especially in connection with Veteran's Day. Reality is he is a character who walked a razor's edge. Most people would look at him generally in a positive light. If I was in charge of things, though, he would not have been invited. I would more likely welcome a Paula Deen to sign books at the Culinary School, or a Rachel Ray, in example. If I were to invite a military man in connection with Veteran's Day, it would have been Schwartzkoff or someone with  flawless character. Perhaps one of the surviving astronauts. You catch my drift? However, it's all over and done, nothing controversial occurred, some books were sold, a crowd did gather, nobody is hurt, really. Heck, it's over now...I'm for moving on without further mention of it.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
Just wanted to post these...I took them I might as well do something with them (Sorry Jr!)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »
I have still not received an acknowledgment of my opinion from the City. I will simply chalk it up to an intern in the IT department in Georgia; and know that Pete, Jack, Mary, and Shad would have at least said "thanks for your opinion."

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »
Awesome pictures Rube!! ;D

I have still not received an acknowledgment of my opinion from the City. I will simply chalk it up to an intern in the IT department in Georgia; and know that Pete, Jack, Mary, and Shad would have at least said "thanks for your opinion."

I'm not surprised that you didn't get a response from Facebook as that is more of an information channel for events. The e-mail is a different story. If you really want good customer service, then just call them up. :)