Author Topic: Atmosphere Recordings  (Read 2938 times)

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Atmosphere Recordings
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Hello, SDCFans...

I'm just curious if anyone has, or has seen available online, any "atmosphere" recordings of SDC?  To me, a good quality audio recording would be just as good as a video.  There are many examples of what I am referring to for all the Disney parks.  Here is a short example....

http://youtu.be/QjgFTjU9HgY

I am hoping to try to do this next year.

-Tim 
You have a great past ahead of you!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Atmosphere Recordings
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Interesting idea! ;D

I may just try it during my next visit in November.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
Oooo... I never thought of doing that!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
Tried it... Kept getting roller coaster screams in the background

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:04 AM »
yip, all part of the amusement park atmosphere.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
Years ago when the atmosphere music was played when I worked there, it was an instrumental track that played all day at various locations around park. People were always trying to find the source...so they could go watch the live music being played. Some even asked where they could buy the records of it. I don't know why the park fails to put something out like that. Seems it would be an easy moneymaker. The Sounds of Silver Dollar City album released in 1980 captured some of that music, as well as stuff like a bit of Flooded Mine music, and so on, but never that I know has there been a full album of the stuff released. I noticed when I was in the radio.media business, all that good material we worked on to gather and put out before the public was used in a 24 hour time frame and then put into a file cabinet somewhere never to be seen again...what a waste. I have noticed in the last five or ten years many newspapers have put out picture books with photos snapped for the paper and then just put away. Like the 10 year anniversary book the Springfield paper did with SDC...similar to that. SDC could release a book of old show scripts...of old publicity photos and postcards, and, of course, several albums of material recorded around park. Somebody just has to get off their duff and get proper copywrite clearance and get it going!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
I always wondered how the music for SDC was selected.  Not sure if it's a looped recording or maybe a satellite radio feed???? I remember in past years (80's)they used music that they produced themselves & could be bought at the Hosp house and ozark marketplace.  Most of what they play on park today is copyrighted music produced by other artists. (I think I heard "Bright Sunny South" by Allison Krauss & Union Station about 5 times in the 4 days I was there in early Oct) This is in contrast to what is played by Disney (which I believe is produced in-house by Disney).  There are many websites that stream the music that Disney plays on their rides, ambient background music, shows, etc.  But I've never seen an equivalent for SDC music.  Maybe it's because SDC music includes the copyrighted works of other artists?  I was always surprised that SDC ambient music wasn't a continuous loop of house acts like Homestead Pickers, Pureheart, Sons of Silverdollar, etc. 
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned