Author Topic: american plunge question  (Read 14826 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: american plunge question
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »
Isn't there a mine car above the channel that looks like it's going to fall off the end of its track onto the log?  Maybe that's what you're thinking about.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Baldknobber

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
As soon as you entered the cave on the right hand side, within a small "cove" in the cave, was a little puppet in this "mini" coaster car? the little coaster car was only about a foot long, but it might have run on a slanted flat track only about 5 feet long...No twists or turns..just a small slanted straight track...As soon as you tripped the "sensor" it lit up and said "Hi boys and girls, WHEEEEEE" , and then it would glide down to the end of that piece of track..You then continued on to where up on the left hand side it seemed like it was a mini park setup that had, if I remember correctly a mini merry go round, and some other amusement type things playing cirucs type music. I thought it was all lit up by blacklight. Then a bit further up on the right hand side, a wall of water would then open up like it was gushing toward you but you never got wet. I swear I am losing it now...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 10:48:11 PM »
It was a guy in his flying machine or something like that, and he was going to "jump" the river, but would never get up enough speed.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »
It was a guy in his flying machine or something like that, and he was going to "jump" the river, but would never get up enough speed.

Yeah, but isn't that an update to what I'm talking about?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 08:45:05 AM »
Wow!  That Jim Owen must have seen a lot on his float trips  LOL!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 11:01:10 AM »
That was during the late "70s" when the kid friendly era changed the tree house still to the root beer factory. The goasts were taken out of the cave and replaced by singing and yodeling knomes in the cave.  they sang Yodel-o tee hee tee hee I kid you not. There were a few on a teater toter as well. It had nothing to do with the rest of the ride and was an attemped to make it less scarry. But aside from things like a whirlpool which is inherently scarry, so is a dark cave no matter what you put in it. It stayed that way tell the ride was converted to the plunge.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »
Back to American Plunge:  For the longest time, there was song that would play just before the lift hill.  It was something in the line of "We can do it....etc..." and had a very Mamas and Papas sound to it. 

Just curious if this was anyone else remembers this song and if it was an original song or one that was from the mainstream.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »
It was the song that held the ride to the theme of the queue.  Not only was it about accomplishing things, but it was about doing things together.  All the examples in the queue are about pairs of people doing impossible, daredevil things.  I always loved that song, and I've rarely ridden since the song has gone.  It had to be an original.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:06:49 PM by History Buff »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »
Anyone know the name of it?  I still have a record from when I was a kid with SDC music on it including the song to the Flooded Mine

"Welcome to the mine...welcome to the trouble, 'neath the earth and soil.  You'll sweat a little water, you'll sweat a little blood, and you might get out, if the mine don't flood!"

I would sing that thing from the time we left home to the time we got to the gates of the city.

I also liked the bluegrass song that Fire in the Hole played.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »
Isn't the song from Fire in the Hole from a documentary called "Fire on the Mountain" or something like?   I was thinking that I read that somewhere.

I really wish that they would release a CD of all the theme songs from the rides, much like what Disney does with their "theme songs" from the rides... of I would also like them to make a CD of all the Christmas music from the park as well (i.e. Dickens, Gifts of Christmas Parade, etc)
SWOOSH

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
The Fire in the Hole theme was written for SDC by the same company that wrote the Fooded Mine theme. "We'll make it Together Me and You", the theme for the Plunge was also contracted from outside for SDC.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
"Welcome to the mine...welcome to the trouble, 'neath the earth and soil.  You'll sweat a little water, you'll sweat a little blood, and you might get out, if the mine don't flood!"

Ooooh, flashback!  ;D

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »
The Fire in the Hole theme was written for SDC by the same company that wrote the Fooded Mine theme. "We'll make it Together Me and You", the theme for the Plunge was also contracted from outside for SDC.

Thanks for the answer Old Guy!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
I don't see why they don't bring the old theme songs back, even if it was on a CD. They ought to have some sort of special attraction theme rememberance or something like that during Moonlight Madness where they play all the old songs.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Granny

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 11:28:20 AM »
Last time I rode the plunge, I was so sad to see that the outhouse and the guy yelling "Ohhhhhh nooooo" was either gone or not working. I also remember when they added the plunge theme, I loved its cheesiness as a teenager.