Author Topic: SDC Vs. other MO theme parks  (Read 17404 times)

Casper1

• View Profile
Re: SDC Vs. other MO theme parks
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
I've never been to Worlds of Fun, but I've been wanting to. I get the chance in March 2013 when the local high school band that my sister is in goes to KC for a few days to play at various places. Worlds of Fun is one of the places they are playing at, so I'm excited for that.

Hey guys long time stalker of the forums, just dropping in to tell you Worlds of Fun usually opens for the season on the second Saturday in April.

I used to like WOF, but the last time we there a few years ago, the theming had really gone awry. Talk about not in Miss Mary's time, a 50's diner in Africa? Come on!

The late 90s to early 2000s was definitely the "dark" ages of Worlds of Fun where random stuff was being built out of theme to the area, however, the past couple of seasons the park has been making an effort to stick to most the theme. Thinking about it now about the only thing I can remember being out of theme, that still stands, is the sock hop diner.

But overall, SDC will always win for me because of the quality and pricing of the food, the quality of the entertainment, and the cleanliness and friendliness (although, I do have to give some credit to Six Flags -- they were touting their cleanliness this year, and it really was very well kept up; their employees, too, didn't seem as resentful about being there as the kids working at Worlds of Fun always do).

This season Worlds of Fun has cracked down on employee moral by adding friendly competition among one another. If I'm remembering right the crew that wins at the end of each week gets a plaque at their stations and they get some kind of an award, cant remember exactly. It seems to be working because every employee this season, that i have seen, has been very cheerful and eager to work.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:48:36 PM by Casper1 »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 01:44:56 AM »
I've never been to Worlds of Fun, but I've been wanting to. I get the chance in March 2013 when the local high school band that my sister is in goes to KC for a few days to play at various places. Worlds of Fun is one of the places they are playing at, so I'm excited for that.

Hey guys long time stalker of the forums, just dropping in to tell you Worlds of Fun usually opens for the season on the second Saturday in April.

I'm just going by what the letter sent to the parents said. Maybe the director is confused...?
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
Yep.  WOF does not open until Mid-April.
I know because I take my band kids to the music festival there and that is the last weekend in April and the first one of the season.
SWOOSH

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »
I re-read the letter, it says March. Maybe he plans on the band playing in the parking lot to themselves...?
Somebody probably needs to mention something to him about that...
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
SDC is where my heart is. But WoF is where i spent alot'a my childhood. Swoosh is right, WoF's Fright Night is King, they have a parade of all the monsters to start it all off. It was great! We keep talking about going to Six Flags but just aint got around to it yet.
Live life like it's the last day!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
I re-read the letter, it says March. Maybe he plans on the band playing in the parking lot to themselves...?

FWIW, the last time we went was with some friends that had a girl in a dance troupe. The park was closed to the general public that day. May be the case here too.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

Six Flags' Fright Fest is really bad.  If you have been to HAUNT at Worlds of Fun, Six Flags' event looks like a cheap high school production in comparison.
SWOOSH

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »

well lets see. I live just 10-15 minutes from SFSL. I can remember going there since its inception in 1972.  I even spent several seasons working there, recently. The cleanliness thing is a very big push there. Employees can get many rewards for their participation in overall park cleanliness. Even the parks president walks around most of the day with a broom/dustpan.  OTHER THAN THAT.  SFSL is basically a daytime babysitter. Since the park is full of kids of all ages, not many adults, during the weekdays. As mentioned they have no shows. (This summer-2012-they had 2, one was pretty good, the other was lousy). Back in the late 70s/early 80s SFSL had several shows, all of them good. (NONE was ever at the level of SDC shows)   The FOOD at SFSL has never been good, and just gets worse every year.

I have read some FB posts that some feel the coasters at SFSL are really good.  I guess I have just rode them so many times that they are lame and boring for me. SFSL is getting "Boomerang" in 2013. From the design pics I have seen in the offices, it must be "IDENTICAL" to "Boomerang" at WOF.
I hate Mr Freeze reverse. I liked it forwards.  Rumor has it that they are tinkering with the idea of maybe making "Batman" reverse in the next few years. That sounds terrible.

I have only been to WOF 1 time. My Son & I went there for a quick 1 day thing a couple years ago. We didnt shop or eat in the park. We rode every ride and went home.

SDC will always be my very favorite park in OVERALL quality, food, rides, friendliness, ETC. GO SDC
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »
We are always interested in hearing from folks who have worked at other theme parks...like Six Flags St. Louis. So, tell us what you have done there, and how you liked working there. Go into detail. We find it very interesting. I have gone into great detail about my days at SDC on the various threads here. So let's here from you!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
Worked in foods at SF during Fright Fest one season
Let's just say, I don't eat at the park anymore. Nasty.
SWOOSH

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:25 AM »
Well SFSL was a part time job for me while my "full-time" job became part-time also. >:(
The first year at SFSL I worked in retail (stores). I worked about 15-20 hours a week that year. It was OK in the stores. My fav was a store called "Power Ups" because it was the exit for our Scrambler ride, which meant - every few minutes I had floor traffic. This store was basically full of comic book hero stuff, from outfits to toys to candy and even special super hero packaged ice cream. I even won an award that year. FRIENDLIEST RETAIL ASSOCIATE"

2nd&3rd year I switched depts to "admissions" 
In admissions I (primarily) worked as Lead person in Season Pass Processing. (SF passes have the persons picture on them) I did everything "as Lead" in season pass. I took pictures, handed out coupon books, worked at the counter selling upgrades/parking/tubes/ ETC. primarily just ordered others around (well sort of).

I also worked in Ticket Sellers those 2 years. (pretty well explains itself).

I worked in Ticket Takers as well. I didnt care for "takers" at opening, but LOVED "takers" at closing. You actually got to bounce over to the other side and mingle with the guests. You could do anything with the guests. (I mean nice stuff) like dance, sing, talk to, ETC. It was a blast. I used to carry a roll of stickers and give to the kids. They loved them.

It was nice because "takers" is the last people you see when exiting SFSL. I always tried to ask everyone if they had a "Six Flags Day" or at least a "Five Flags Day"  ;D . If they did not, they was ready to tell you all about it. But that was my job then, to make it better, or at least "salvage" what can be. I am great at Human Resources stuff.

I also won a few awards in Admissions. "SERVICE SUPERSTAR" (both years) "Most playful" in takers" and "most efficient" in "Lost & Found"

I really enjoyed the last 2 years in Admissions, ESPECIALLY nighttime "takers" and "season pass". But, I didnt go back in 12 because regular job is back to 50-60 hour weeks, and having SFSL to attend to would just beat me up.  But I sure did enjoy it. I do believe I will try to get hired on again after I retire. It is kind of an addiction working in a PARK type setting like that.
Tim

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
You are right, working at a theme park is a bit of an addiction. My time at SDC was like that. I have not worked there since '84, and am still raving about the place today! Thanks for sharing with us. Anytime you want to throw something on here about an event, place you worked, or changes at the park, so on, please post. I fondly remember "Six Flags over Mid America" from my youth. I was a patron the year the park opened, and have been there roughly a half dozen or so times, mostly as a kid or young adult. I remember the old days when they had good shows, and remember the old Mississppi River Ride, Injun Joe's Cave, the Chevy Show, the River King Runaway Mine Train, and other attractions. I purchased a cool "Logan's Run" poster at what was called the "Mod Shop" about 1977. I will always remember the antique car ride and the log ride...I remember that area next to the log ride prior to it being developed, and remember when about half the train ride was through woods! I remember the early Palace music shows, the old Miss Kitty's Saloon Show, and the Sid and Marty Kroft puppet show. Yes, I am showing my age here. So thanks again for your posts, and keep them coming!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 04:09:30 AM »
Yeah Junior. I remember all of those things also at SF.  I was also there in 72 when it opened.  I was also there the very first day of the Screamin Eagle.  I actually rode the Screamin Eagle on the 4th trip out.  Even though I ran ran my (then) child legs to the eagle as fast as I could run. I was slower than several. But I still got the 4th train out.  WOW I remember thinking, "there is no way any coaster can be better". Yeah well there are many coasters better than eagle now. 

Do you remember the sports cars at SFSL? (or Sf over mid america then) How about the Jetscream (where the sports cars were--where Batman is now)? Jetscream was the first coaster at SFSL with a loop.  How about the Skyway?  (The cable car) I was at SFSL the very day that the skyway car fell off the cable and plummetted to Earth.  Oh yeah lots and lots of memories at SFSL.

BTW I do fondly remember your ride also. Diving Bell.  I enjoyed it emmensly

Well I need to hit the hay. Goodnight
Tim

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 04:47:33 AM »
Yes, I rode the sports cars, Jetscream and the skyway, too. Loved them all, although Jetscream's loop left a crick in my neck. I was in Branson and had just started working at SDC when the Skyway car fell to the ground. It was a tragedy. I think Six Flags personnel panicked a bit, as they shut down the whole park and moved folks out after the accident. Of course, the Skytrain was out in the open, so I'm sure they wanted no one watching as bodies were removed. However, I compare that to the Fire in the Hole death about two years later. I was on park that day, and I had buddies working at FITH at the time. One buddy was actually the ride dispatcher that day, God bless him. Only FITH and maybe the saloon were closed, the rest of the park remained open and at full operation. Actually it was a pretty busy day. Most people on park never knew there was a problem until they got back to their motels that night and saw the news on TV. That, my friends, was a good way to manage a disaster.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
You are right, working at a theme park is a bit of an addiction. My time at SDC was like that. I have not worked there since '84, and am still raving about the place today! Thanks for sharing with us. Anytime you want to throw something on here about an event, place you worked, or changes at the park, so on, please post. I fondly remember "Six Flags over Mid America" from my youth. I was a patron the year the park opened, and have been there roughly a half dozen or so times, mostly as a kid or young adult. I remember the old days when they had good shows, and remember the old Mississppi River Ride, Injun Joe's Cave, the Chevy Show, the River King Runaway Mine Train, and other attractions. I purchased a cool "Logan's Run" poster at what was called the "Mod Shop" about 1977. I will always remember the antique car ride and the log ride...I remember that area next to the log ride prior to it being developed, and remember when about half the train ride was through woods! I remember the early Palace music shows, the old Miss Kitty's Saloon Show, and the Sid and Marty Kroft puppet show. Yes, I am showing my age here. So thanks again for your posts, and keep them coming!

Antique car rides are about gone the way of the DoDo Bird. I remember fondly being able to  not make contact with the rail at Libertyland. But, then again I was driving cotton trailers to the gin at 12.  In my make believe Memphis theme park, I got a version of River Blast or the smaller footprind splash battles like those Mack make themed as Civil War era  warships/iron clads with the the shore looking like land based batteries.  First trip to Six Flags St. Louis was in the mid 80's, also saw Nolan Ryan in his Astros days hit a hr at Busch and beat the Cards. HRs were stingy before they moved the fences in years later, that's why Herzog always catered his teams to small ball with Coleman McGee stealing bases left and right.